Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblebirdeatingspider
Stranger in Paradise
 User Gallery

Loc: so many roads
Need Help IDing Large Night Bird
    #24335031 - 05/20/17 06:57 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Hello fellow nature lovers! I took this pic of my neighbors roof last night around midnight.  Noticed it taking short swoops from back of house to perch on front of house, overlooking street. Flew very slowly/traversed a good distance without showing exerted effort.

I live in the suburban Eastern US, about a quarter mile from a lake.  Perching to overlook the road seemed predatory.  I am an avid outdoorsperson but have never seen an owl, heard only once in more rural landscape north of here.  Theres an old growth stand of trees across the street (by lake).  I have never seen anything outside of a songbird chilling on anyone's roof before, day or night.

We have a couple different hawks in the area, great blue herons fly over the house twice a day.  Vultures are around, that is what it reminded me off.  Great blue heron in size, vulture in appearance.  When I stood up to take the shot, despite being two yards down it was disturbed, swooped down to ground level.  I only caught its silhouette,  it struck me that its wing tips looked like fingers, very long flight feathers which I always use to identify vultures high in atmosphere.  Has anyone ever seen a vulture at night?  What left an impression: its size, the fringed feather tips, how shy it was.

I know this photo is trash.  I also know some of you have imaging software, so was hoping to spark some interest. 

Any ideas?  Please and ty.

Oh, did I mention this was found on a hike yesterday, and retained to give to my conspiracy nutter friend:

--------------------

From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can neโ€™er express, yet cannot all conceal.

Edited by birdeatingspider (05/20/17 07:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: Need Help IDing Large Night Bird [Re: birdeatingspider] * 1
    #24335080 - 05/20/17 07:31 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

If it was hunting my bet is on an owl.

I live in a suburban neighborhood and we get owls from time to time. Helps we have a 10-20 acre pocket of woods though.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

Stranger in Paradise
 User Gallery

Re: Need Help IDing Large Night Bird [Re: CookieCrumbs] * 1
    #24335137 - 05/20/17 08:14 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I have been scouring the interwebz since 3 am!  My neighbor thinks its an owl, and after discovering that Great Horned Owls live around here, I think you're both right.

Not a total bust, learned about a new animal (rare event, I'm like an encyclepedia of animal facts): a carnivorous, wood eating, nocturnal vulture.
http://scpsandbox2.wikidot.com/republicofe

--------------------

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: Need Help IDing Large Night Bird [Re: birdeatingspider]
    #24336070 - 05/20/17 04:10 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

:strokebeard3: that's a new one on me too.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
Re: Need Help IDing Large Night Bird [Re: CookieCrumbs]
    #24344090 - 05/23/17 07:25 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

If it is a great horned living in the area. They are vocal and have a very loud booming call. Like four or five straight whos. They are territorial so you should be hearing    them. There are many owls, could be another type.

--------------------

Stranger in Paradise
 User Gallery

Re: Need Help IDing Large Night Bird [Re: Quadman]
    #24345128 - 05/24/17 05:20 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

If you zoom in on the figure in question, you can actually see the 'horn' atop head.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Need Help IDing Large Night Bird [Re: birdeatingspider]
    #24391885 - 06/09/17 06:08 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Idk, that bird is too far away in that pic to really know what it is....

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | ๐Ÿ’ง Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method ๐Ÿ’ง | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder