Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleballsalsaMDiscord
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #24333648 - 05/19/17 05:42 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

forced was probably the wrong word.  Though you have to admit that our society strongly encourages us to have a job.
My point still stands.  I don't think most people are resentful of work itself.

--------------------

Like cannabis topics? Read my cannabis blog here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: ballsalsa]
    #24333651 - 05/19/17 05:44 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Do you believe that employees who hate their job are likely to be effective at it?

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Male User Gallery

#24333690 - 05/19/17 05:57 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

what do you mean by likely?
like a 51% chance?
probably, though it would certainly depend on the job.
you don't have to like something to be good at it.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24333702 - 05/19/17 06:00 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

You don't have to, but it's far less common to be good at something you hate doing.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #24333800 - 05/19/17 06:34 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Since Wal-Mart has been brought up, let's look at how much the owners really make compared to employees.  Last year, the owners made about 7 billion.  If we divided that among the 2.3 million employees, that comes out to about 3k each.

In other words, if the company made no profit, workers could make another buck fifty an hour.

But Walmart actually made about $15 billion in profit.  And that's after subtracting $10 billion in stock buyback.  So they had $25 billion to play with (not including executive pay and bonuses).  That's closer to $12,000/employee, not $3,000.  And I think you know retail has one of the lowest profit margins of any business sector.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #24333817 - 05/19/17 06:38 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ballsalsa said:
From your article:

Quote:

Many surveyed complained of "bosses from hell" who ignored talent and didn't cultivate growth.

that's pretty loaded.  i have to agree with Enlil.  if someone feels they deserve something, but their performance doesn't warrant that something, that person is most likely going to blame their superior(s) for not recognizing their "talent(s)" and stifling their "growth", not themselves

ime, most people want to do as little as possible at work

another job i had (at a harbor freight; i made it 8 months before quitting, shitty company with shitty practices and products) raises were only up for review/offered annually.  my boss knew i wasn't too happy there, but he was a cool guy.  he convinced the RM i was worth keeping around.  RM reviewed my case and approved the boss to give me an 8% raise, $0.58/hr on a $7.25/hr pay base, at the 6 month mark when all the other reviews/raises were happening.  that warehouse and the shelves were never cleaner/more organized than when i was working there.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: Cinnamon] * 2
    #24333822 - 05/19/17 06:40 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Cinnamon said:
Why doesn't Walmart get credit for the shear amount of people they employ?
they constantly get shit because most of 'em are working just above minimum wage, but no one points out just how many people they employ.

We're all completely fine with the CEO for managing to keep the company afloat and profitable while retaining so many jobs.

Except we're not fine with him being paid for that, instead we look at his pay and the shelf-stacker pay and try work out what gives.

We shouldn't give Walmart credit because:
1. They don't hire people because they care about how many jobs they are creating; they hire more people to make more money.
2. The more people Walmart hires, the more people aren't making money at higher paying jobs that Walmart is putting out of business.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24333868 - 05/19/17 06:54 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

But Walmart actually made about $15 billion in profit.  And that's after subtracting $10 billion in stock buyback.  So they had $25 billion to play with (not including executive pay and bonuses).  That's closer to $12,000/employee, not $3,000.  And I think you know retail has one of the lowest profit margins of any business sector.

That's not what we're talking about though.  We're talking about how much an employee is earning for the owner.  That's about $3k an employee at Walmart.  In other words, less than 20%.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: Enlil]
    #24333913 - 05/19/17 07:14 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
Since Wal-Mart has been brought up, let's look at how much the owners really make compared to employees.  Last year, the owners made about 7 billion.  If we divided that among the 2.3 million employees, that comes out to about 3k each.

In other words, if the company made no profit, workers could make another buck fifty an hour.

That's not what we're talking about though.  We're talking about how much an employee is earning for the owner.  That's about $3k an employee at Walmart.  In other words, less than 20%.

How did you come up with $7billion when Walmart profits were $15billion?  Are you only counting dividends?  That's irrelevant to what workers make for the company.  Some very profitable companies choose to pay no dividends.

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: demiu5] * 2
    #24333942 - 05/19/17 07:23 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

demiu5 said:
Quote:

ballsalsa said:
From your article:

Quote:

Many surveyed complained of "bosses from hell" who ignored talent and didn't cultivate growth.

that's pretty loaded.  i have to agree with Enlil.  if someone feels they deserve something, but their performance doesn't warrant that something, that person is most likely going to blame their superior(s) for not recognizing their "talent(s)" and stifling their "growth", not themselves

another job i had (at a harbor freight; i made it 8 months before quitting, shitty company with shitty practices and products) raises were only up for review/offered annually.  my boss knew i wasn't too happy there, but he was a cool guy.  he convinced the RM i was worth keeping around.  RM reviewed my case and approved the boss to give me an 8% raise, $0.58/hr on a $7.25/hr pay base, at the 6 month mark when all the other reviews/raises were happening.  that warehouse and the shelves were never cleaner/more organized than when i was working there.

I quit a warehouse job at a hardware store as a young man because I wanted a dollar and the boss offered me a dime.  They hired 3 part-timers to replace me.  It didn't matter to them how well i did my job, they weren't going to give me more than a dime and were willing to take the hit of losing me and having to shell out more than the dollar in the end.  It was worth it to them to have employees who are willing to work for less than they are worth.
I guess everyone has different experiences.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24333949 - 05/19/17 07:27 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

How did you come up with $7billion when Walmart profits were $15billion?  Are you only counting dividends?  That's irrelevant to what workers make for the company.  Some very profitable companies choose to pay no dividends.

Dividends are how owners get paid.  Company profit that is used for growth, reserve, etc. doesn't go to owners.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24333960 - 05/19/17 07:31 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ballsalsa said:

I quit a warehouse job at a hardware store as a young man because I wanted a dollar and the boss offered me a dime.  They hired 3 part-timers to replace me.  It didn't matter to them how well i did my job, they weren't going to give me more than a dime and were willing to take the hit of losing me and having to shell out more than the dollar in the end.  It was worth it to them to have employees who are willing to work for less than they are worth.

The truth is that you only THINK that is why they did it.  They probably got a lot more work out of those three part-timers than they did out of you.  If you had made yourself worth a dollar fifty more, they would have gladly given you a dollar more.  If not, the competition would.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Male User Gallery

Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: Enlil] * 2
    #24333990 - 05/19/17 07:45 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

ballsalsa said:

The truth is that you only THINK that is why they did it.  They probably got a lot more work out of those three part-timers than they did out of you.  If you had made yourself worth a dollar fifty more, they would have gladly given you a dollar more.  If not, the competition would.

I doubt it.  We're talking about a hardware store warehouse.  They can only fit so much product on the shelves, so i doubt the total workload has changed much.  Bottom line, they're paying for something like 60 hours when it was getting done in 40 already.  It isn't a hard job, but there isn't much brainwork to do so its pretty boring.  I'm glad they played hardball with me on the dime, because i know people who are still working at that place, running the joint and making less than me(which is saying something because i make dick right now).

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24334056 - 05/19/17 08:09 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Dividends are how owners get paid.

It's just one way owners can get paid.  Keeping money in the company increases the price of the stock, and owners can simply sell stock as it goes up in value to make money.

You should reread an old discussion I had with you starting here to the end.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #24334072 - 05/19/17 08:16 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ballsalsa said:
Quote:

demiu5 said:
Quote:

ballsalsa said:
From your article:

Quote:

i must say, aside from one "boss/manager" and a few tolerable but prickish assistant managers, i've had really good experiences with both bosses and landlords

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineTNK
Pleasures of Africa
I'm a teapot Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: I AM THUNDERBOT
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 2
    #24334107 - 05/19/17 08:26 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Nice link, it was a interesting and enjoyable read and reminded me how much I miss zig.

--------------------
Edited by TNK (02/22/22 22:22 PM)

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: TNK] * 1
    #24334141 - 05/19/17 08:35 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks - one of my favorite discussions with zap.  He must have known how badly he lost, but that guy refused to admit he was wrong.

--------------------

OfflineTNK
Pleasures of Africa
I'm a teapot Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: I AM THUNDERBOT
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #24334165 - 05/19/17 08:44 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I can't recall a time where he admitted he was wrong, but then again he nearly never was wrong. :shrug:

--------------------
Edited by TNK (02/22/22 22:22 PM)

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24334264 - 05/19/17 09:27 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Keeping money in the company increases the price of the stock, and owners can simply sell stock as it goes up in value to make money.

1. That's speculative
2. Then they're not owners anymore.

In any case, nothing you've said changes the simple fact that an owner does not make 10-20 times what a worker makes from that worker's work.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineCinnamon
Stranger

Loc: Nelson Flag
Re: Why are communists so awful? [Re: Enlil]
    #24334375 - 05/19/17 10:22 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Be interesting to find out how many slaves (that is min wage workers) have netflix accounts and other luxuries.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom