Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: Home Grower]
    #24334891 - 05/20/17 04:55 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Home Grower said:
it is too late for G2G as the kit substrate has been exposed to non-sterile air

basically this, but we use still air (SAB) for sterile work, not sterile air.

Do make holes tho, mushrooms love fresh air, mold hates it. grow kit instructions are complete BS! good thing you asked!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGerms
Space Force
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: EternitySeeker]
    #24335065 - 05/20/17 07:21 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

EternitySeeker said:
Hey Punching Holes is a very bad Idea . Trust me it fucks the growkit .

Ive had many GrowKits and always achieved great amounts of healthy mushrooms.

3-5 Hours a day Undirect Light , could be your bathrooms light , not to wide.
You will need to wait 1.5-2 weeks till little pins appear , then its fast going.

When little pins appear , let the box open for about 2x 2minutes a day or more often to breathe.
And also mist at the sides twice a day  , without water touching the substrate.

After 2 weeks you will have yor grown.mushrooms.

Mushrooms love FAE. Holes are a great idea. It's all about balance. Light should be as close to 12/12 as possible. Sometimes mine only get 10, doesn't really matter.

Why mist the sides? We're not trying to grow plastic. Water on the substrate is what you want, little beads of moisture that will reflect light if you shine one at it.

Glad to see you made it this far since your other thread Home Grower

--------------------

Offlinemuchlove
Duality
 User Gallery

#24335131 - 05/20/17 08:06 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

t=1942

this should answer your question.

Edited by muchlove (05/20/17 08:09 AM)

OfflineHome Grower
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: muchlove]
    #24335202 - 05/20/17 08:56 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

^ Interesting, thanks for posting that video.

So, Willy Myco confirms that CO2 is heavier than air and advises to put holes close to the substrate? Wonder why RogerRabbit disagrees with this.

Also Willy advises to mist and fan your kit 3 times a day. This is what I am doing anyway, while going against the kit's instructions.
It is nice to have all of this confirmed by somebody who grows shrooms professionally.

--------------------

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Česká republika Flag
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: Home Grower] * 1
    #24335216 - 05/20/17 09:06 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Home Grower said:

So, Willy Myco confirms that CO2 is heavier than air and advises to put holes close to the substrate? Wonder why RogerRabbit disagrees with this.

Also Willy advises to mist and fan your kit 3 times a day. This is what I am doing anyway, while going against the kit's instructions.
It is nice to have all of this confirmed by somebody who grows shrooms professionally.

The whole thing about CO2 being heavier and sticking just above ground is total BS. If it was true we would suffocate in the atmosphere because there would be a thick layer of CO2 couple hundred meters above ground.

Edited by mushhiehunter (05/20/17 09:07 AM)

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #24335252 - 05/20/17 09:32 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Home Grower said:

Willy is a retard that's why lol
No one should be listening to his shit

InvisibleGerms
Space Force
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24335302 - 05/20/17 09:57 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

Home Grower said:

People find shit on youtube and take it as gospel

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: Germs]
    #24335318 - 05/20/17 10:02 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

People post on YouTube so people will think their bullshit is worth listening to

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24335324 - 05/20/17 10:04 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

Home Grower said:

I just discovered him via this thread... looked good. Then he inoculated grains with 2ccs of ms solution and I noped out...

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: mushhiehunter]
    #24336422 - 05/20/17 06:32 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

mushhiehunter said:
Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
like i said, i wouldnt have done g2g with it in any case

what i would do (even at this point) is spawn to bulk (not g2g). just bucket tek some coir and make a monotub by crumbling it together. this is totally set and forget, and will definitely do better than fruiting directly off the block. this will be easier than the instructions (no daily misting) and will yield WAY more mushrooms

if you are going to fruit directly off the block, you could put it in a proper fruiting chamber and get much better results than just using the bag. you could literally just set the tray into a monotub or a SGFC and willl get a better pinset

feel free to post updates regardless of what you decide to do, but as far as "people having a final verdict on these pre-colonized kits," i dont think its going to change anything. anyone who understands the basics of cultivation is gonna feel the same way about this kind of thing, there isnt really any mystery to solve, it is 100% predictable. we have seen it a thousand times before, thats why we are able to give you tried-and-true advice about how to make the most out of it in your situation. there really isnt any diversity of opinions about this among the people in the know. if you stick with the hobby for a while, you will almost certainly feel the same way :smile:

ps: about your name, i know i could see from your post history :smile: im just entertaining myself, no worries my friend :smile:

Could you please elaborate on why it would be a bad idea to G2G the kit? I mean the spawn looks good to me, am I missing something?

good question, i dig the critical thinking youve shown in this thread, +5 :highfive1:

as space said, basically the problem is that it has been exposed to open air. it is fine for spawning to bulk (which is something we do in open air) but it is not fine for g2g (which has to be sterile)

anything we use for g2g needs to be SUPER clean, since we dont want to expand something dirty. a fully colonized block like that kit is VERY contam resistant: contams land on it all the time but they have no food to eat since the myc is so well established (and the parasitic ones cant beat the myc till things acidify, etc). a sterile jar of grain is a totally different story, because it is basically the microbiological jackpot for anything that can digest it (whether that is cube myc or contams). grain is VERY dense in nutrients, and when contam spores, bacteria, etc, from the surface of the myc come into contact with the sterile food, it will start to colonize it. things that couldnt get a foothold on the 100% colonized block will be able to get a foothold on the 100% uncolonized grain

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #24337070 - 05/21/17 12:55 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
Quote:

mushhiehunter said:
Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
like i said, i wouldnt have done g2g with it in any case

what i would do (even at this point) is spawn to bulk (not g2g). just bucket tek some coir and make a monotub by crumbling it together. this is totally set and forget, and will definitely do better than fruiting directly off the block. this will be easier than the instructions (no daily misting) and will yield WAY more mushrooms

if you are going to fruit directly off the block, you could put it in a proper fruiting chamber and get much better results than just using the bag. you could literally just set the tray into a monotub or a SGFC and willl get a better pinset

feel free to post updates regardless of what you decide to do, but as far as "people having a final verdict on these pre-colonized kits," i dont think its going to change anything. anyone who understands the basics of cultivation is gonna feel the same way about this kind of thing, there isnt really any mystery to solve, it is 100% predictable. we have seen it a thousand times before, thats why we are able to give you tried-and-true advice about how to make the most out of it in your situation. there really isnt any diversity of opinions about this among the people in the know. if you stick with the hobby for a while, you will almost certainly feel the same way :smile:

ps: about your name, i know i could see from your post history :smile: im just entertaining myself, no worries my friend :smile:

Could you please elaborate on why it would be a bad idea to G2G the kit? I mean the spawn looks good to me, am I missing something?

good question, i dig the critical thinking youve shown in this thread, +5 :highfive1:

as space said, basically the problem is that it has been exposed to open air. it is fine for spawning to bulk (which is something we do in open air) but it is not fine for g2g (which has to be sterile)

anything we use for g2g needs to be SUPER clean, since we dont want to expand something dirty. a fully colonized block like that kit is VERY contam resistant: contams land on it all the time but they have no food to eat since the myc is so well established (and the parasitic ones cant beat the myc till things acidify, etc). a sterile jar of grain is a totally different story, because it is basically the microbiological jackpot for anything that can digest it (whether that is cube myc or contams). grain is VERY dense in nutrients, and when contam spores, bacteria, etc, from the surface of the myc come into contact with the sterile food, it will start to colonize it. things that couldnt get a foothold on the 100% colonized block will be able to get a foothold on the 100% uncolonized grain

Yup, makes sense. But IF the kit was unopened, wozld you use this kit to g2g? (OP posted some pics before)

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#24337076 - 05/21/17 01:02 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

no, since i didnt make it. when you didnt prep it, you have no idea what they did or what their technique was like

i wont even g2g something that was started with spores in any case, even if it looks clean. mainly because i cant risk wasting time, and g2g expanding a dirty culture is a MASSIVE waste of time

i wouldnt bother with a kit in any case. that said, it would be cool to see someone who lives in a country where you can get those to use it to spawn to bulk, itd be cool to see someone do a true bulk grow like that, since it is the fastest way i could conceive of for someone to go from zero to bulk

--------------------

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

#24337095 - 05/21/17 01:15 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
no, since i didnt make it. when you didnt prep it, you have no idea what they did or what their technique was like

i wont even g2g something that was started with spores in any case, even if it looks clean. mainly because i cant risk wasting time, and g2g expanding a dirty culture is a MASSIVE waste of time

i wouldnt bother with a kit in any case. that said, it would be cool to see someone who lives in a country where you can get those to use it to spawn to bulk, itd be cool to see someone do a true bulk grow like that, since it is the fastest way i could conceive of for someone to go from zero to bulk

Well guess what, I'm just that person with a kit on hand. I currently have a tub going but wanted to try and buy a kit to see if what  they use is MS or isolate.
I want to try 2 things: Use mini-tweezers to get a few small samples from the kit just upon freshly opening it and put them to rye. later I will make a shoebox or maybe combine it with my spawn (half and half - left side, right side) in a tub.

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#24337112 - 05/21/17 01:27 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

what exactly do you have? like a precolonized kit? we cant get those in the states, so its confusing, we dont know if people mean precolonized brick like in europe or presterilized jars and a spore syringe (usa style kit)

you are kinda asking the wrong question regarding MS vs isolate. its almost certainly MS, but that is totally irrelevant. you shouldnt be worried about isolates at this point, all you want is a well organized culture, whether that is pure MS, clone, or whatever.

what you are suggesting doing is a bad idea, almost certainly would be a total waste. if you have access to a precolonized block like that, what i would do is bucket tek some coir and make a monotub, mixing the coir with the crumbled up kit block at a 1:1 ratio. this way, you will almost certainly get bulk yields, faster than any conceivable way

after you have fruits, clone a good cluster and use that to make new grain spawn. use that to g2g and make all the spawn you need, and mix that with bucket tek'd coir as needed to make monotubs

that way, you turn that kit into a lifetime supply of shrooms, clone cultures, genetics from spores, etc.. you will be totally self sufficient. this is exactly what people who sell kits are TERRIFIED of

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

#24337135 - 05/21/17 01:44 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

It's a precolonized sub just like the one from OP. I will go down the route you pointed me to, but I have one tub fruiting and 2 in colonization, my miss is gonna kill me for another tub :blush:

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#24337187 - 05/21/17 02:33 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

sweet, keep us posted, i wanna see how it turns out :smile:

im a little confused what you mean though when you say " I have one tub fruiting and 2 in colonization," can you clarify what you mean?

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineHome Grower
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#24337189 - 05/21/17 02:35 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

It turned out that my kit was contaminated with lipstick mold. More info here: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24335817
A big bummer for me, because I wanted to try spore printing and syringe creation, etc. With a contaminated substrate, this is no longer possible. All I can do now is hope that the mycelium will overpower the lipstick mold and will fruit normally.
The only thing I can think of that would potentially allow me to continue my mycology journey, is cloning from the sterile inside of a stem. Still very risky.

Before you take spore prints or do anything else with your kit, check thoroughly for contaminations.
First time in my life I see lipstick mold, which tells me that it came with the kit.

--------------------

Edited by Home Grower (05/21/17 02:36 AM)

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

#24337197 - 05/21/17 02:44 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:

im a little confused what you mean though when you say " I have one tub fruiting and 2 in colonization," can you clarify what you mean?

Well I currently have two monotubs colonizing and one fruiting so I'm running out of space :frown:

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#24337201 - 05/21/17 02:49 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

A big bummer for me, because I wanted to try spore printing and syringe creation, etc. With a contaminated substrate, this is no longer possible

Before you take spore prints or do anything else with your kit, check thoroughly for contaminations.
First time in my life I see lipstick mold, which tells me that it came with the kit.

??? what are you talking about? none of that makes any sense

if it fruits, you can print it. but making spore syringes is pointless unless you plan to sell spore syringes :lol:

you should really move on to clone cultures and away from spores as soon as possible. just use spores for long term storage, you dont have to ever make a spore syringe, they are not the way people do things these days
Quote:

mushhiehunter said:
Quote:

c10h12n2o said:

Well I currently have two monotubs colonizing and one fruiting so I'm running out of space :frown:

lol i see, thats a good problem to have! what are they colonizing with? how did you make them?

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

#24337208 - 05/21/17 02:53 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
Quote:

A big bummer for me, because I wanted to try spore printing and syringe creation, etc. With a contaminated substrate, this is no longer possible

??? what are you talking about? none of that makes any sense

if it fruits, you can print it. but making spore syringes is pointless unless you plan to sell spore syringes :lol:

you should really move on to clone cultures and away from spores as soon as possible. just use spores for long term storage, you dont have to ever make a spore syringe, they are not the way people do things these days
Quote:

mushhiehunter said:
Quote:

c10h12n2o said:

lol i see, thats a good problem to have! what are they colonizing with? how did you make them?

Spores->agar->3 transfers->LC->rye->CVG->standard monotubs with micropore

Edit: But I'm unhappy with my culture (slow colonization) and so I bought a kit wishfully thinking they use a good isolate

Edited by mushhiehunter (05/21/17 02:55 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract