Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHome Grower
Stranger
Male User Gallery

I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise?
    #24332459 - 05/19/17 09:12 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

I ordered a pre-colonized myceluim kit of P. Cubensis.
The grow kit comes with a large plastic bag that has inbuilt air filters. That bag serves as the fruiting chamber.
The grow kit's instructions advise to open the bag once every two days and to mist its walls with water. They don't say anything about fanning.

Now, I am going against these instructions and I am opening, misting and fanning every day.
Am I screwing things up by doing so?
Should I just stick to the instructions and only mist every two days and never fan? :confused: :confused: :confused:

PS:
It has been three days since I introduced the kit to fruiting conditions (23 degrees Celsius, 12/12 light and FAE).
How long will it take before I see the first pins?

----------------------------------------------------------

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: Home Grower]
    #24332462 - 05/19/17 09:13 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

I'd poke a bunch of holes in the bag. Mist as needed

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24332547 - 05/19/17 09:59 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

I think its  hard to generalize whether you are doing something wrong here, because it really depends - fanning too much shouldnt be an issue as long as you mist it prob wont dry out, misting too much might be more of a problem, you dont want to waterlog it - bhods proposition would save you some work, just as following the instructions would, in the end you have to experiment and get a feel for how much moisture is right, cubes are quite co2 tolerant so dont worry too much about FAE, if its too little you will se fuzzy stems later, and then you will now but with your current method I doubt that will happen,  and too much FAE only becomes a problem when it negatively impacts moisture so isnt an issue as such as long as you monitor moisture - I think it might take a week or two before you see pins

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

OfflineHome Grower
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#24333092 - 05/19/17 01:56 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Here is a quote from the kit manufacturer's instructions:

"The bag has built-in filters so you do not have to worry about air circulation. "

What worries me is that, while the bag does have air filters, they are way up the top of the bag. There is not a single air filter close to the bottom of the bag, where the heavy CO2 accumulates.
So I decided to fan thoroughly every day, in order to get that CO2 out.
I hope I am not doing anything wrong here by fanning every day.

Heck, I have read about experienced growers misting and fanning their monotubs 3 times a day. And a monotub, just like my bag, does have filters installed and is supposed to be a set-and-forget deal.

--------------------

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #24333101 - 05/19/17 01:59 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

you have much to learn.

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

#24333128 - 05/19/17 02:05 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Home Grower said:
where the heavy CO2 accumulates.

yeah actually I think thats a myth - I think RR once did experiments using devices that measured CO2 levels and found this bo untrue - also if it were, how would jars which have filters on top and BODs unmodified monotub tek (no holes just the air from between the lid and the box/cracked lid on top) work? which they absolutely do!

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

#24333137 - 05/19/17 02:07 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Home Grower said:
hope I am not doing anything wrong here by fanning every day.

Heck, I have read about experienced growers misting and fanning their monotubs 3 times a day. And a monotub, just like my bag, does have filters installed and is supposed to be a set-and-forget deal.

haha  I was gonna say that not what the point of amonotub is :cool: but I think its more that its fun to care for your fruits than really neccesary tbh - dont worry about it too much, as RR said "its really hard to fuck up a cubensis grow" - they fruit quite easily even in less than ideal conditions and with time you will learn to read the signs to know how to optimize

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

OfflineMyco Mako
He who speaks with fungus
 User Gallery

Loc: Mars
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: polaritymind]
    #24333138 - 05/19/17 02:08 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

polaritymind said:
Quote:

Home Grower said:
where the heavy CO2 accumulates.

yeah actually I think thats a myth - I think RR once did experiments using devices that measured CO2 levels and found this bo untrue - also if it were, how would jars which have filters on top and BODs unmodified monotub tek (no holes just the air from between the lid and the box/cracked lid on top) work? which they absolutely do!

Unmodified's definitely 'work'...

Unfortunate myth that CO2 sits at the bottom only and you need lower holes to counter that with FAE.

--------------------
Myco Mako's Tamp Grow Log
Myco Mako's PE Grow Log

All the knowledge and wisdom you'll ever need to be successful...
Bod's Link List, How to make Cultivation Simple & Easy

OfflineMyco Mako
 User Gallery

Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24333144 - 05/19/17 02:10 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I'd poke a bunch of holes in the bag. Mist as needed

This...

--------------------
Myco Mako's PE Grow Log

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: Myco Mako]
    #24333169 - 05/19/17 02:18 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Very interesting do you always have them sit in water? as a sort of bottom watering? I suppose that could prevent bacteria if its that much water, which is the biggest problem with bottom watering for me - how do you get that shape so perfect, the substrate block seems to be the same shape as the box just smaller?

--------------------
-Albert hofmann

OfflineHome Grower
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#24333171 - 05/19/17 02:18 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Thank you for your replies, good people.
I guess I'm overdoing and overthinking things a bit, because this is my first time growing shrooms.

--------------------

OfflineMyco Mako
 User Gallery

Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: polaritymind] * 1
    #24333180 - 05/19/17 02:20 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

polaritymind said:
Very interesting do you always have them sit in water? as a sort of bottom watering? I suppose that could prevent bacteria if its that much water, which is the biggest problem with bottom watering for me - how do you get that shape so perfect, the substrate block seems to be the same shape as the box just smaller?

That was at harvest, using Bod's harvest tek where you float the substrate for easier harvest.  I did bottom water them last 2 days a little to finish them, but only late and after they've pulled away from the sides and show indications of needing it.

--------------------
Myco Mako's PE Grow Log

Offlinegillaputty
Stranger

Loc: Earth
    #24333232 - 05/19/17 02:39 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

I like that mirror in the back of the picture.

Try to have your chamber (bag) at an angle so your Shrooms grow at a wise angle to prevent water run off in one spot.
The Mushrooms at the bottom will just be a little wetter.

Thank you for your post.

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Česká republika Flag
    #24333273 - 05/19/17 02:55 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Home Grower said:
I ordered a pre-colonized myceluim kit of P. Cubensis.
The grow kit comes with a large plastic bag that has inbuilt air filters. That bag serves as the fruiting chamber.
The grow kit's instructions advise to open the bag once every two days and to mist its walls with water. They don't say anything about fanning.

Now, I am going against these instructions and I am opening, misting and fanning every day.
Am I screwing things up by doing so?
Should I just stick to the instructions and only mist every two days and never fan? :confused: :confused: :confused:

PS:
It has been three days since I introduced the kit to fruiting conditions (23 degrees Celsius, 12/12 light and FAE).
How long will it take before I see the first pins?

----------------------------------------------------------

Or you could look up SAB and G2G that grow-kit into 20 jars and get enough shrooms for a long time :smile: the mycelium looks g2gable to me :smile:

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: mushhiehunter]
    #24333295 - 05/19/17 03:10 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

:uhno:

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: spacechildo]
    #24333373 - 05/19/17 03:48 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

its home buyer! good to see you again buddy :smile:

do you remember the conversation we had about this in the other thread? thats what someone above meant when they said you could use that myc to g2g and get way more mushrooms out of it

personally, i wouldnt dare g2g a kit, and would instead spawn to bulk (bucket tek some coir and make a monotub, crumble your kit into it), like i advised in the other thread. this way, you would be able to get a solid, legit bulk harvest off of a proven bulk technique (monotub) which requires NO misting, fanning, etc. monotubs are set and forget (unless you want to baby them) and they have excellent, predictable yields. its actually kinda a cool method, because buying a precolonized kit then spawning it to bucket tek monotub is basically the easiest, fastest (if not most cost effective), way for someone to get a true bulk harvest without a pressure cooker

that would be the BEST way to use your kit. otherwise do what bodhi said and poke holes

but whatever you do, stop taking marketing materials as "information", because it isnt. anything written by a marketer selling a kit is going to be bullshit and  you should disregard it. they are either #1 totally ignorant about mush cult or #2 the entire point of their kit is to make you dependent on them and keep you from realizing what a rip off kits are (especially when fruited as per directions)

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineHome Grower
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #24333865 - 05/19/17 06:53 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

^ Thanks for your reply, c10h12n2oS.
I think it is too late for G2G as the kit substrate has been exposed to non-sterile air for several days now.
Plus I wanted to test the kit the way it is and see for myself if it is worth the money. Will make sure to post the results in another thread, so people can have a final verdict on these pre-colonized kits.
Hopefully, I won't screw things up by doing a few *cough* optimizations *cough*.

BTW just for your information, my nickname has nothing to do with growing mushrooms. I never claimed to be a mushroom grower. However, I am growing solid amounts of Cannabis at home, hence my nickname - Home Grower.

--------------------

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
    #24333903 - 05/19/17 07:10 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

like i said, i wouldnt have done g2g with it in any case

what i would do (even at this point) is spawn to bulk (not g2g). just bucket tek some coir and make a monotub by crumbling it together. this is totally set and forget, and will definitely do better than fruiting directly off the block. this will be easier than the instructions (no daily misting) and will yield WAY more mushrooms

if you are going to fruit directly off the block, you could put it in a proper fruiting chamber and get much better results than just using the bag. you could literally just set the tray into a monotub or a SGFC and willl get a better pinset

feel free to post updates regardless of what you decide to do, but as far as "people having a final verdict on these pre-colonized kits," i dont think its going to change anything. anyone who understands the basics of cultivation is gonna feel the same way about this kind of thing, there isnt really any mystery to solve, it is 100% predictable. we have seen it a thousand times before, thats why we are able to give you tried-and-true advice about how to make the most out of it in your situation. there really isnt any diversity of opinions about this among the people in the know. if you stick with the hobby for a while, you will almost certainly feel the same way :smile:

ps: about your name, i know i could see from your post history :smile: im just entertaining myself, no worries my friend :smile:

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlinemushhiehunter
Trichodermatologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Česká republika Flag
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #24334886 - 05/20/17 04:47 AM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
like i said, i wouldnt have done g2g with it in any case

what i would do (even at this point) is spawn to bulk (not g2g). just bucket tek some coir and make a monotub by crumbling it together. this is totally set and forget, and will definitely do better than fruiting directly off the block. this will be easier than the instructions (no daily misting) and will yield WAY more mushrooms

if you are going to fruit directly off the block, you could put it in a proper fruiting chamber and get much better results than just using the bag. you could literally just set the tray into a monotub or a SGFC and willl get a better pinset

feel free to post updates regardless of what you decide to do, but as far as "people having a final verdict on these pre-colonized kits," i dont think its going to change anything. anyone who understands the basics of cultivation is gonna feel the same way about this kind of thing, there isnt really any mystery to solve, it is 100% predictable. we have seen it a thousand times before, thats why we are able to give you tried-and-true advice about how to make the most out of it in your situation. there really isnt any diversity of opinions about this among the people in the know. if you stick with the hobby for a while, you will almost certainly feel the same way :smile:

ps: about your name, i know i could see from your post history :smile: im just entertaining myself, no worries my friend :smile:

Could you please elaborate on why it would be a bad idea to G2G the kit? I mean the spawn looks good to me, am I missing something?

OfflineEternitySeeker
ॐ PSYTRANCE ॐ

Loc: Shankara
Re: I am going against my grow kit's instructions. Wise? [Re: mushhiehunter]
    #24334889 - 05/20/17 04:53 AM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Hey Punching Holes is a very bad Idea . Trust me it fucks the growkit .

Ive had many GrowKits and always achieved great amounts of healthy mushrooms.

3-5 Hours a day Undirect Light , could be your bathrooms light , not to wide.
You will need to wait 1.5-2 weeks till little pins appear , then its fast going.

When little pins appear , let the box open for about 2x 2minutes a day or more often to breathe.
And also mist at the sides twice a day  , without water touching the substrate.

After 2 weeks you will have yor grown.mushrooms.

--------------------
Believe in Something you can not describe

Tune up your chips and circuits , you are going to live longer
Peace

:leocheers:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck