Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleThayendanegeaS
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Tales of Der Campfire [Re: CookieCrumbs]
    #24329755 - 05/18/17 01:19 PM (5 months, 30 days ago)

That's awesome....I'm down around Middle River and I have to tell you. We catch eels all the time. I usually fish the flats up close to you in Spring for giant stripers..(rockfish). I catch crabs starting around July and run through September. I've never camped or fished the lower Potomac but maybe some day. I have trout fished the Upper Potomac in Garrett Cty. though....it is a beautiful river....May even find some ovoid stragglers out there this time of year.:wink:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
The Motherfucking Sandwich Queen
Female User Gallery

Re: Tales of Der Campfire [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #24329856 - 05/18/17 02:01 PM (5 months, 30 days ago)

Yeah I'll be staying near Tappahannock. I wanted to go to Shenandoah but the rain and the drive into the mountains turned me off. But I've had lots of family and friends stay in the area and I'm looking forward to it.

I don't like fishing on my own because... Well I can catch fine but I'm not so good at catch and release. I'll wrangle the fish off the hook and toss it back in the water and it will end up floating on the surface and then I feel fucking bad :sad:

:lol:

Nope I'm hunting fossils on this trip. Fossils and some much needed R&R.

I've caught rockfish and flounder in the bay. Hooked a small shark once. Many eels and a few rays. Not much reason to do "catch and release" when you're gonna be eating half of what you catch and cutting the line for the other half :lol: though the closer to the wetlands/river deltas you are the more likely you are to catch pregnant females and babies. I drive my dad nuts insisting he pick through his pots of live crabs to throw the females back out. (especially because their little dog barks its ass off every time he brings in a pot :rolleyes:)
:ohwell: no one actually wants to eat spawning crabs anyway. They look weird and have a strange gooey texture. Sadly the only people that seem to know what a female is, before they cook them, is the ones I've harassed about it. Maryland blue crab is easy to tell.

Don't eat the ones wearing nail polish I say :sadyes:

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

InvisibleThayendanegeaS
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
    #24330103 - 05/18/17 03:34 PM (5 months, 30 days ago)

True that....Myself as well as every one of my friends throw back the females.:grin: We actually don't get that many females up my way. Now, I will keep a female peeler and sluff them out for a soft crab sandwich!

You're making me hungry for crabs!

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
The Motherfucking Sandwich Queen
Female User Gallery

Re: Tales of Der Campfire [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #24330536 - 05/18/17 06:10 PM (5 months, 30 days ago)

My mom makes some bitchin crab soup. It's somewhere between Maryland style and New England style. Spicy but chunky and creamy.

And I wouldn't be the sandwich queen if I didn't make dank crabcake sandwiches.

Last year they bought a few extra bushels from neighbors and we had all out crab feasts.

I'm just about all crabbed out on the straight from the shell... But I think it's worth all the picking once you get down a good recipe. Same can't be said for croaker. Probably why I prefer river fishing. Nothing quite like a good meaty catfish.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

Offlinedodgem
Learner
 User Gallery

#24339200 - 05/22/17 12:08 AM (5 months, 27 days ago)

I've done some crab fishing, but in the Pacific on the other side of the country.  Moved to Oregon last fall and going crabbing is one of our favorite things to do.  We usually catch big Dungeness crabbies out here off the docks, but have caught red rock crabs one day.  The Dungeness have a size minimum and you can only keep the males legally.  The red rocks have no limitations so you can take home any you catch.  Can't wait for fall to come around when they start filling out more, aka more meat on them.

--------------------
Walk where you like your steps

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors