Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Personality tests? How can these really be valid?
    #2432771 - 03/14/04 09:19 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

I was talking to my freind about personality tests, and after having experimented with psychadelics, it seems almost absurb to think about. How can someone give you a test to find out things about me that I don't even know? How can someone tell me what career I would enjoy? I learned alot about myself, and..it just seems like this is something only I can really do.

Are psychologists/psychiatrics really that talented?

I'm getting really concerned about myself and what the fuck I'm doing with my life, and I would really like to think that a personality test/career test could help, but...=/ I dunno..

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHahzist
Surfing theWaves of Chaos

Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: freddurgan]
    #2432807 - 03/14/04 09:35 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

Take a Psych course and youll see that taking a personality test probably wont help you. You'll find it really goes both ways. Some things you can relate too and you can see in others, and some things are just ridiculous. One of the things that was taught was that people can be placed in 5 personality categories .... FIVE. I found myself having certain characteristics between 3 of em.

A lot of it really is bullshit. And to tell you the truth, I'd say a lot of pyschologists/psychiatrists are not that talented. The only thing I'd say that would make a talented psychologist would be one with a lot of empathy. Other than that its just a bunch of assumptions and unclear explanations. I was originally going to major in this too, now Im gonna be a PE Teacher :P

Edited by Hahzist (03/14/04 09:36 PM)

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: Hahzist]
    #2433077 - 03/14/04 10:37 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

Yeah..I've always found myself not able to answer alot of questions on those tests. Things that put me in a situation, or ask me how I would react. I really can't answer those, and I don't think anyone really can. Too hypothetical, and assuming you know what you would do in a situation I think it wrong. But, none the less, if my school offers personality/career assessment tests, I'm going to take them. Any more information I can get can hopefully help me.

P.S - I'm willing to bet being a P.E teacher would be an awesome job. Hang with kids all day, play outside..minimal stress.

Good job.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2433387 - 03/15/04 12:03 AM (20 years, 9 days ago)

freddurgan: Personality tests were made with money in mind. A majority of them have a lot of "truths" to them because you can easily relate to their generalized conclusions. You can take the Michigan? Minnesota? (I'm not quite sure) test but it will cost you around $40 which will be catered to your personality.

All-in-all, these tests are not very accurate or reliable.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: daba]
    #2433405 - 03/15/04 12:09 AM (20 years, 9 days ago)

I agree with daba on this one. we all the ability to see this and believe that. we can feel, and a lot of those questions lose their weight because no matter how varied the feelings are, we all can feel them.

but why do a personality test? what's it's use? your personality isn't what is essentially you. your personality relies on what your ego thinks and how YOU feel. again, it is YOU that is doing the feeling not your personality. your personality can change easily and is therefore not what is essentially you.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2436355 - 03/15/04 07:03 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

Personality tests generalize all answers so that they can apply to nearly everybody.

--------------------

Offlinevade
veteran

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2436488 - 03/15/04 07:31 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

Question: How can they be valid?
Answer: They can't

--------------------
I've got this feeling that there's something that I missed...

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #2437043 - 03/15/04 09:20 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

I guess they are made to give u an idea of what you are and what you would like. What i find funny is all they do is let them know how u feel. You obviously already know who you are and what you are like. I dont need a piece of paper to tell me im the shit. ahaha. Althoguh a certified badass certificate would impress the ladies.

--------------------

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: whiterabbit13]
    #2445161 - 03/17/04 09:37 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

I just took the test at http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality_disorder_test.mv

My results were
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Low
Schizotypal: High
Antisocial: Low
Borderline: Low
Histrionic: High
Narcissistic: Moderate
Avoidant: Moderate
Dependent: Moderate
Obsessive-Compulsive: Moderate

Moderate being average.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: NariusFractal]
    #2445194 - 03/17/04 09:42 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

What is odd is I took this same test a week ago when I was in a completely different mood and got different answers.

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: High
Schizoid: Very High
Schizotypal: Very High
Antisocial: Low
Borderline: Low
Histrionic: Low
Narcissistic: Moderate
Avoidant: Moderate
Dependent: High
Obsessive-Compulsive: Moderate

Isn't that odd? I was honest about how I felt when I took the tests and could recall certain memories of actions I did that backed up my answer. Perhaps it all depends on what kind of moods you are, meaning you have multiple personality disorders at certain times. The funny thing is that these are just classifications, or names, or metaphors for moods that we are in. Emotions are very powerful and extremely difficult to put into rigid, non-changing categories.

However, I will not deny the existence of patterns in one's emotional cycles. Ie, a sexually abused female adolescent will likely have certain emotional patterns and cycles that aren't present in a non-sexually abused female.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2445233 - 03/17/04 09:50 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

On emode (but it's called something else since I took the test), the tests are pretty accurate, imo.  For instance, the results of "what breed of dog are you" showed this:

Chihuahua

No bones about it, you're an energetic, devoted Chihuahua. For your breed, size definitely doesn't matter. After all, sometimes the best things (diamonds, car keys, Godiva truffles) come in small packages. Honest and straightforward, you're never afraid to speak up for what you believe in, especially if it's a cause near and dear to your heart. Having such a passionate personality can come with a few drawbacks, though. You can be moody at times, and people often find it hard to live up to your high standards. But once you make a friend, it's for life. Saucy and intense, your energy and unfailing loyalty make you a great companion. Woof!

You all should go take the tests at  this site.  Let's compare results!  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2446215 - 03/18/04 05:17 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

The only personality test that I'll ever need is riiiiiiiiiiiiight..... here.

:wink:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

User Gallery

Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: Frog]
    #2446263 - 03/18/04 06:03 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Basset Hound

No bones about it, you're a friendly, easy-going Basset Hound. Laid-back and very low-maintenance, "down time" is your favorite activity ? you treasure the moments when you don't have anything on your agenda except plopping down on the couch for a night of "Must-See TV." Although you're always gunning for low-key evenings, you're really a pretty social pup and a snap to get along with. Sure, some folks might misinterpret your relaxed attitude and lifestyle as laziness, but those who really know you think your no-frills approach to life is refreshing. No daily planner? No itinerary for the evening? No problem! Woof.

I'm Droopy!

Basset Hounds arent really my type of dogs, but oh well. I love all dogs anyways. :grin:

:wink:

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2446777 - 03/18/04 10:52 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

No bones about it, you're a loyal, nurturing Collie. A sensitive breed, you're always approachable and very in tune with others' feelings ? just like Lassie! Because of your empathetic nature, you tend to be the group psychologist to your circle of friends. Your faithful, easygoing, steadfast personality makes you a wonderful confidant; people love to come to you with their troubles. Bottom line? You're a star at interpersonal relationships and have a knack for making new friends and acquaintances wherever you go. After all, what's a Collie without a flock to look after? Since you're so giving, your buddies might not realize that you need them just as much as they need you, so make sure not to neglect yours truly. Everyone deserves some "me" time. Woof!

:grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: daba]
    #2448068 - 03/18/04 04:11 PM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

daba said:
freddurgan: Personality tests were made with money in mind. A majority of them have a lot of "truths" to them because you can easily relate to their generalized conclusions. You can take the Michigan? Minnesota? (I'm not quite sure) test but it will cost you around $40 which will be catered to your personality.

All-in-all, these tests are not very accurate or reliable.

Hey daba, long time no see. Actually, the good doctor Leary did alot of reasearchthat led to personality tests.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2450381 - 03/19/04 01:13 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

kaiowas and Skorpivo, I'm not at all surprised by your results!  :grin:

Come on, everyone else, go take that test!  Really, I think it's pretty accurate.  I've talked to others who think that that site has the most accurate personality tests of any site.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2450446 - 03/19/04 01:44 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Everyone go take the  ink blot test.  Here is my result  :grin:  :

your subconscious mind is driven most by Sexuality

What this means is that when your unconscious mind sees an opportunity to remind you of your sexual desires, it takes full advantage of it. Because of this, things that have very little sexual content or that seem sexually neutral to others, may register as sexually charged to you, at least on an unconscious level.

Your unconscious mind recognizes the value of sexuality. The reason it may do so, is because of a deep-rooted fear of the opposite ? living a life that is numb to sexual desire or is turned cold by it. You unconscious mind may be trying to avoid this sexual dullness, and so it reacts by swinging to the opposite extreme, strong sexual desire. By sending you these sexual messages on a regular basis, your unconscious makes sure you don't forget about sex.

If you view your sexual desire with a positive attitude, you can welcome the vitality and strength sexual thoughts can bring into your life. This would allow you to honor the drive your unconscious has chosen to be an important focus for you. It is a message that you are very much alive, and have a great deal of passion to bring to life.

Though your unconscious mind is driven most strongly by Sexuality, there is much more to who you are at your core.

--------------------

User Gallery

#2450690 - 03/19/04 05:19 AM (20 years, 4 days ago)

My subconscious mind is driven most by Peace:

You have a deeply-rooted desire to make peace in the world. Whether through subtle interactions with loved ones, or through getting involved in social causes, it is important to you to be able to influence the world in a positive way.

You have a deep respect for humankind. You care about the future of the world, even beyond your own involvement in it, and you inspire others to feel the same way. Your innate drive toward peace guides you in daily life towards decisions that are respectful toward yourself and others.

Your psyche is very rich; the more you learn about it, the more you will understand who you really are.

Interesting!

--------------------

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2451066 - 03/19/04 08:53 AM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Golden Retriever

No bones about it, you're a popular, fun-loving Golden Retriever. Adored by all and too cool for school, you're extroverted and enthusiastic. Your magnetic personality makes you the life of any bash. Since you're a true people-dog, you genuinely love all kinds of social gatherings. Going to parties, dinners, and other shindigs is the best way to add faces to your constantly growing circle of friends. But besides being on the social A-list, you're a confident, well-rounded pup who's definitely something to bark about. Pretty accomplished at anything you set your mind to, your sunny nature and winning ways make you one of everyone's favorite dogs. Woof!

--------------------

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Re: Personality tests? How can these really be valid? [Re: NariusFractal]
    #2451131 - 03/19/04 09:19 AM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Spencer, your subconscious mind is driven most by Imagination

You have a deep desire to use ideas to change the world around you. This drive influences you far more than you may realize on a conscious level.

You love to brainstorm and imagine new possibilities. The world is a fuller, richer place because you can contribute new ideas to any experience. Your natural curiosity inspires those around you and encourages them to come up with ideas they wouldn't have discovered without your help.

Your psyche is very rich; the more you learn about it, the more you will understand who you really are.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order