Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechaosmachine
Stranger
Ketosis and Mushrooms * 2
    #24318358 - 05/14/17 05:05 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I've come across this message board a few times, but this is my first post, so hey :smile:

I've recently been experimenting with shrooms while in a state of nutritional ketosis, and I wanted to share my findings and see if anyone has related experiences that they can share.

Ketosis is a state you can get your body into whereby it is running on ketones instead of glucose. Your body basically switches from running on sugar to running on fat. I tried a ketogenic diet a few years ago while training for a marathon and found it amazing. It completely changed my energy levels and I felt great.

Anyway, I was reading Huxley's Doors of Perception a few months ago and he mentioned that psychedelics may have a stronger effect after fasting because the brain is low on sugar. This got me wondering whether there would be a different effect in the experience of psychedelics while in ketosis.

Also, in Terrance McKenna's Food of the Gods, he discusses the possibility that mushrooms could have been the plant that birthed human consciousness on the plains of Africa. Many hunter gatherer tribes were on high-fat/low-carb "caveman" diets, so I also got to wondering whether perhaps the first people to find mushrooms were also in a state of ketosis.

Four weeks ago I started on a high fat, low-carb diet. Over the past three weeks, I have now done three shroom trips while in ketosis.

The first trip started off very rough. I think I was dehydrated. Keto diets require you to drink a lot of water. I have had very bad trips before so I knew how to handle it when it got rough, and I just lay in bed, breathed and drank water. I had visions of guts and gears jarring and squishing together, blood, skulls, and I felt that my consciousness had slipped out of it's groove a little. This rough patch in the trip lasted about 30 minutes and then I drank a lot of water and felt very relaxed and then I slipped back into my groove.

This initial rough patch at the start of the trip may have been due to dehydration, but it may have also been my brain readjusting to tripping on ketones rather than on sugar. My brain has been so used to tripping with sugar in my brain, that I think it potentially had to readjust.

The rest of the first trip, and the second and third trip, were both amazing. They are the most natural feeling trips I've ever had. The experience to me definitely feels different.

I am going to continue my experiments and will post up my findings. I'll try to give a more detailed trip report.

If anyone else has experimented with tripping in ketosis, or has any information of the effects of sugar/glucose on the trip, I would love to hear it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: chaosmachine]
    #24321139 - 05/15/17 09:33 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Very very interesting, I'm loving all these amateur scientists on the forum here - yeah I've found myself being a lot more in touch with my emotions and body on ketosis, which is also kind of what mushrooms do, so this was cool to read, might try this out sometime soo too ^^ even though keto *is* really hard on my body at least, and I havent done it in a while since it sometimes is just too hard to maintain, but yeah still a thing im interested in

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

Edited by polaritymind (05/15/17 11:56 PM)

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Loc: North So Cal Flag
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: polaritymind]
    #24321396 - 05/15/17 11:31 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

That's a kick ass write up welcome to the Shroomery. I'm very interested in your trials, as many friends are on these Paleo or caveman diets as your article referred to them.
I'm a sugar junky but need to make a change and ditch the sugars and carbs.

Right now I fast before every psychedelic experience. It definitely intensifies the effects.

--------------------

OfflineIgotyourjimmies
Stranger
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: Steveinshell]
    #24321472 - 05/15/17 11:54 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

interesting read

OfflineNuminous
Stranger
Male

Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: Steveinshell]
    #24321510 - 05/16/17 12:05 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

:thatsinteresting:
This definitely has potential. I've never considered the implications that dietary changes would have on psychedelic experiences. I'll have to experiment with this

--------------------
Impossibly High

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: Numinous]
    #24321561 - 05/16/17 12:22 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I mean shit ketosis is crazy, it has such an extreme effect on you considering its "only" diet- apart from the fact that its really hard to be eating all that fat all day, for me it was mostly veggies fried in tons of oil, or salads with fatty dressings, lots a avocado, eggs, cheese and lots of fatty meat and nuts, and never even a glance at bread, pasta, anything sweet, even fruit is a problem and even some veggies like corn are off limits - and its obviously hard on the body, there is this thing called "keto-flu" where it just makes ya feel sick, and ya need tonns of sodium, potassium and magnesium and need to drink a lot of water because it constantly feels like your body is flushing out toxins. which I guess it might be, because on ketosis the prody produces amon other keto bodys, acetone, so yeah ^^ and obviously the body is slow to slip into ketosis, so the wirst week it feels like fasting, with the bad moods and headaches etc- after that it can be quicker though, and artichokes help slip into it for me ^^ and yeah I dont know my problem always was I slept kinda terrible on it, but what I always like was I never had these food cravings like with carbs and didnt get tired after meals, go go and have a jog right after, could neer do that stuffed with carbs ^^ but like I said the psychological effects are suprising, I think it was as, if not more pronounced than for example the effect of caffeine, in that that also makes me somewhat more emotional, energetic but also impulsive and possible less calm and planned

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

OfflineJOKable25
Stranger
Female
Loc: a little all over
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: polaritymind] * 1
    #25954811 - 04/25/19 11:12 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I know I am bringing this thread back from the deads but I thought this was relevant.
So I have transitioned from a plant-based diet to keto plant-based a couple weeks ago. I also got really interested in micro dosing. Today before lunch I measured out 0.4g of psilocybin powder (remanences of whole shrooms of last year's harvest at the bottom of a bag). Let me tell you. WOW. Thank god I had nothing planned for the day! I am a pretty high tolerance type of gal usually (not on keto). A standard dose will usually be around 3.5g. Now about 15 min after ingesting, I am DEFINATLEY feeling way more than I should while micro dosing. I have that typical giddiness, breath is deepened and everything feels accentuated. I really want to know what THATS about! How does the liver play a role in all this!

--------------------
Life is just an illusion...So why not just play?

OfflineCorundum
Goopy
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: JOKable25]
    #25955166 - 04/26/19 02:06 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

JOKable25 said:
I know I am bringing this thread back from the deads but I thought this was relevant.
So I have transitioned from a plant-based diet to keto plant-based a couple weeks ago. I also got really interested in micro dosing. Today before lunch I measured out 0.4g of psilocybin powder (remanences of whole shrooms of last year's harvest at the bottom of a bag). Let me tell you. WOW. Thank god I had nothing planned for the day! I am a pretty high tolerance type of gal usually (not on keto). A standard dose will usually be around 3.5g. Now about 15 min after ingesting, I am DEFINATLEY feeling way more than I should while micro dosing. I have that typical giddiness, breath is deepened and everything feels accentuated. I really want to know what THATS about! How does the liver play a role in all this!

Must have more shroomery members go on keto diets for research

--------------------
:samus::samus:

OfflineFckingNameless
Stranger
Male

Loc: your heart
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: JOKable25]
    #25955215 - 04/26/19 02:43 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

JOKable25 said:

whats going on is your blood brain barrier is much more permeable on keto

also trip length is extended because fat is metabolised slowly

being on a carnivore diet to me is the difference between tripping for 40min vs 2-3h on Phenethylamine, and that shit is stronger than MDMA believe me

Edited by FckingNameless (04/26/19 02:44 AM)

OfflinePrimeNumber
Student
Male User Gallery

Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: FckingNameless]
    #25994991 - 05/16/19 04:42 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I got myself back in ketosis yesterday, planning a trip this Friday or Saturday.  I'll let you guys know.

OfflinePsion
Sage
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: PrimeNumber] * 1
    #25995103 - 05/16/19 05:39 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

just a word of warning - from my times fasting 3+ days then tripping, it tends to hit harder. at least mescaline and 1b-lsd both did. trip lasted longer than i thought too, but that might just be me.

also the nausea was stronger than normal due to having an empty stomach... but those trips were pretty awesome as well, so take the bad with the good i guess.

OfflinePrimeNumber
Student
Male User Gallery

Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: Psion]
    #26001626 - 05/19/19 10:37 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I took my first trip in strong ketosis.  5 grams, first time making tea.  15 day tolerance break since my last trip, which was magical and somewhat life changing.

Long story short, it was a dud.  Not much visuals, not much laughing, no mystical or divine experience, no feeling of oneness with the universe.

It wasn't a bad trip, either.  It was easily the most in control trip I've ever had. 

I believe the reason why it didn't work this time is because I've been stressed out for the past week.  My "set" was fucked up.  Also, I'd only been in ketosis for a few days, and I was getting some headaches and muscle cramps, which is common.  I took some tylenol and aspirin, which helped, but that might have affected the trip as well.  There's also a difference between being in ketosis, and being "keto adapted," where your body is used to being in ketosis--and I'm sure I wasn't there yet. 

In short, I wasn't feeling well going into it, but I thought there was a chance the mushroom could help, and I ended up being mighty disappointed--when you're trying to feel better, two weeks between trips is a long time to wait.  There's a feeling that "I missed my shot."

But today is a new day.  This dud of a trip doesn't take anything away from the previous, mystical trip, which told me "Take care of yourself and your environment."  So I'm doubling down on fixing my diet, quitting drinking, quitting smoking, starting exercise, et cetera.  I'll wait patiently for a couple of weeks before trying again.  Maybe take a larger dose and get a buddy of mine to trip sit for me. 

I learned the hard way that "set and setting" are important.  I firmly believe that people that are suffering can get relief from tripping, but after this disappointment I have to reevaluate my belief that the mushroom is going to work no matter what. 

I'm not sure if I'm going to make tea again.  The come up was certainly much faster, and the trip was a bit shorter, and I'm not convinced that's a good thing. 

I do not consider this trip report to say much about how ketosis affects the trip.  I'll try again in two weeks, and hopefully have some good data to share.

Offlinemagic5858
Stranger
Re: Ketosis and Mushrooms [Re: chaosmachine]
    #27185680 - 02/04/21 04:00 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I used to go on a ketone diet-it really helped. In 2 weeks, I lost almost 6 kilograms. I had a similar situation with ketosis and mushrooms. Only in the beginning I came across not high-quality mushrooms and I had a stressful trip. But since I like to experiment, I took the advice of a friend and tried chocolate mushrooms from Canada, a friend told me how he flew into space under them. I decided and tried it, I felt like in an Avatar film, I felt like I was out of my body. This is a very cool challenge because if you are on a ketone diet, your body becomes much more sensitive to such things.:cool:

Edited by magic5858 (02/05/21 01:55 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: psilocybinjunkie, Asante, Rose, mushboy, karode13, LogicaL Chaos, Northerner, bodhisatta
6,048 topic views. 2 members, 65 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2022 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 13 queries.