Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

About meditation
    #2430816 - 03/14/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've been reading a lot of posts that suggest confusion of what meditation actually is. Well, all the information that I am about to give is completely 100% my own so I'm not sure if it is true for all.

Meditation is a mental excercise of clearing your mind. Taking comfort in the blackness you see when you close your eyes and making peace with its stillness. It exists as a catalyst to transcend many duality's (good/bad, hot/cold, dark/light). As an expirement next time you excercise (weight lifting, jogging, whatever) and you become fatigued; close your eyes and focus on the blackness. When you do that it seems to help you transcend exhaustion (of course there are body limits, but I'm talking about just giving up if you FEEL tired :P).

At first it is really nothing supernatural. It is just closing your eyes and finding peace and contentment within. You DO NOT have to shut out all your thoughts but if you find your thoughts giving you emotional interference with meditation then understand that THOUGHT and EMOTION are a CHOICE! You have the ability to cut off thoughts from their source; although sometimes it takes practice and it helps me to think that very phrase (I tell myself, "Emotion and thought are a decision." and focus on that phrase and it helps me still my mind).

You do not have to read meta-physics or spiritual documents to be a spiritual being. And you are all indeed enlightened spiritual beings.

REMEMBER!!

Peace :smile:

Oh yes! Comments, questions, criticms are gladly appreciated.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: About meditation [Re: psyka]
    #2430850 - 03/14/04 11:57 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

In Meditation for Dummies the author encourages beginners to meditate with eyes open (but not focused or staring, just open). The reason he gives is that it's then easier to apply the state of mind reached during meditation to the normal state of mind the person has doing their daily routine. That makes sense to me, as we don't go around doing our daily routines with our eyes closed so there's less seperation between the two modes. I think the goal of meditation is to live in a peaceful state of mind, not just when meditating. I tried doing it eyes open a few times but I guess I didn't like it because I start moving my eyes around or thinking about what I'm looking at.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2430941 - 03/14/04 12:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with everything you wrote 100%. Also about the "you dont have to close out thoughts" thing, but supposedly that is an important factor keeping out interuptions and excersising mental disipline. Well put though...

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
    #2430942 - 03/14/04 12:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have been studying buddhism for a couple months now, i see meditation as the way to enter the gates of our conciousnes, and to train ourselfs to be completely aware of every moment. When you meditate you start by focusing on your breathe. You focus on the very point the air enters your nose and leaves your nose. You do not follow the breathe down into your body, you focus on the part of your nose the air hits, you focus on how it feals, you focus on every pin prick of sensation that is generated from the breath. After you can do this for a good half an hour or so without getting distracted, you start to recognize your bones. YOu develop a sense of were your bones are and such. You keep going and going. Eventually you will be so focused on your body and your mind you will have reached enlightment. But that is a long journey my friends.

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
Re: About meditation [Re: psikooz]
    #2431347 - 03/14/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

^yes

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: About meditation [Re: Jenny]
    #2431599 - 03/14/04 04:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

hey all im kinda new to this, but in my short time learning to breath and let go, to shut off thoughts as you said requrires a certain amount of will i guess you would say,so would that forced will interfer in the state of "be"ing. cause for me it's bout letting go of the good and bad and just experincing. Or is shutting off thoughts any force at all? bye the way evr heard of flower of life, they teach this ancient meditation that restores energy feilds around you that goes out like 55 feet or so in all directions and this energy feild is suppose to be rotating, macraba meditation i think it's called. any one ever practice this?

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: About meditation [Re: peleg]
    #2431675 - 03/14/04 05:07 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I would say do not attempt to "shut off" your thoughts with the will.  Rather, you want to still and focus your mind on awareness of everything.  Errant thoughts are not to be stopped by willpower (an act of ego), but rather allow them to pass through you without holding onto them (dissolution of ego).  It sound like you are doing all right... :laugh:
I have never heard of this flower of life; but I'm always happy to learn more. :smile:

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: About meditation [Re: TinTree]
    #2431706 - 03/14/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.floweroflife.org/ here it is .......tell me what ya'll think......

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology