Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Grow Log Using Quinoa (First Grow)
    #2430453 - 03/14/04 05:57 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hello...

First, I would like to say that this is my first grow, so if anyone sees that I am doing something wrong in this grow log, please tell me.

Now, I am planning on doing 36 half-pint jars. 18 jars will be Koh Samui, and the other 18 will be Puerto Rico. I am also planning on doing 2 different substrates, so 9 Koh jars will be on one substrate, and 9 will be on the other. Same goes for the Puerto jars.

The first substrate will be based on the Hawk Tek, and the other will be based on PF Tek. But instead of BRF, I will be using quinoa, since I have read that quinoa speeds up colonization and increases potency.

The Hawk based formula will be:
5 Parts Finch
3 Parts Quinoa
1 Part Flax
3 Parts Verm
I'm not sure how much water to use though, since the quinoa absorbs a lot of it when it is cooked....I do have to cook it first, right? Do I cook the finch and flax seeds also? If so, how?

The PF based formula will be equal parts Quinoa and verm

For incubation, I will be using the tub-in-tub method. I am still trying to figure out how to best stabilize the temps though.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions that anyone might offer, especially on the formula ratios. And I should have some pics up shortly.

Thank You
:-)

Edited by FirstAvailable (03/18/04 05:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Grow Log Using Quinoa [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #2430458 - 03/14/04 06:01 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

>The PF based formula will be equal parts brf and verm

Too much brf.
Check www.shroomery.org/pftek

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Grow Log Using Quinoa [Re: Anno]
    #2430477 - 03/14/04 06:20 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Oopse...typo :smile:
That was supposed to say equal parts Quinoa and verm.

Would you suggest 2 parts verm and 1 part Quinoa?  Or equal parts?

Also, how much water is right?

Invisiblehankydanky2k
    #2440001 - 03/16/04 05:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

This thing needs to be moved to grow logs ASAP

--------------------
The above post is fictitous, and any coincedence between it and real people, places, or events is unintentional.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Grow Log Using Quinoa [Re: hankydanky2k]
    #2440110 - 03/16/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Usually three parts verm to one part brf is used, but the ratio can be varied according to personal tastes. Water is added till verm reaches feild capacity (easiest way is just to use a seive and pour water over it and let it drain for a couple of minutes)

-Odium

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Grow Log Using Quinoa [Re: OJK]
    #2440159 - 03/16/04 06:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Odiumjunkie said:
Usually three parts verm to one part brf is used, but the ratio can be varied according to personal tastes. -Odium

I did a 2:1 ratio as per the PF tek. Also, the Quinoa isn't as dense as the brf(I'll try to get some pics up tonight), so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Quote:

Odiumjunkie said:
Water is added till verm reaches feild capacity (easiest way is just to use a seive and pour water over it and let it drain for a couple of minutes)
-Odium

I added enough water so that it would be just short of saturated. A great way I found to mix it is to use a big paint bucket, and rotate it with the substrate inside cement-mixer style. It seems to work really great and get everything evenly mixed.

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#2440868 - 03/16/04 09:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

This is from 3/14/04:

OK, i have just finished setting up all the jars. Tomorrow, I will PC them and shoot the spores in.

First, if anyone is interested, here are pics of the Quinoa. First the raw, and then the cooked. When raw, it looks a lot like millit, but lighter. Iv'e never seen millit cooked, so I couldn't say weather or not the two look similar at that stage.

For the PF based substrate, I did 2 parts Verm to 1 part Quinoa. I added enough water for the substrate to be pretty moist, but not dripping. I filled the Ball jars up to where the neck starts. I then wiped the inside with .3% peroxide solution, and filed to the top with dry verm. Here's a pic of the substrate before I put on the verm top layer, sorry for it being so blurry.

For the Hawk based substrate, i did 5 Parts Finch, 3 Parts Quinoa, 1 Part Flax, 3 Parts Verm. I added water, cleaned inside of neck, and put on a top layer of verm in the same way as described above. I was planning on doing 18 jars of each substrate, but I wound up being a little short on the Hawk substrate, and had just enough for 17 jars. I now have 19 PF jars, ad 17 Hawk jars. Her is a pic of a hawk jar:

I accidentally made too much Quinoa, so I decided to make up another batch of the PF based substrate and loaded it into 6 plastic 8oz. "jars". If I have enough spores, I plan to inoculate these and fruit them as standard PF cakes.

Finally, here is a pic of all the jars and one of how the will fit into my tub-in-tub incubator:

I plan on PCing and inoculating tommorow.

Edited by FirstAvailable (03/17/04 09:54 PM)

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#2440937 - 03/16/04 09:57 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Admin:
could you please transfer this to the growlog section?
I posted it here by mistake. Thanks.

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#2444648 - 03/17/04 09:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

3/15/04:

OK, today i finished PCing all the jars and inocked all with approximately 1-1.5 ml of spore solution.

I have 9 jars of hawk based substrate with PR, and 8 with KS.
I have 9 jars with PF based substrate with PR, and 10 with KS.

I used up all of the KS spores, but wound up having like 2ml of PR left, plus there was a big chunk of spores floating around in there also. So what I did is refilled the syringe with water from the PC and mixed it around for a good while. It was pretty dark after the big chunk broke up and was mixed in. I planned on using this to inoculate the plastic tubs.

I sterilized the plastic tubs in the microwave for 8 minutes. When I took the cakes out of the microwave, they were very very dry, and hard. I would be very surprised if anything grows on those things. But whatever, I don't care since I was just going to throw that extra substrate out anyway.

I put about a fifth of a syringe of spores per tub into 5 plastic tubs. The sixth, I will just throw out, since I didn't have enough left over spore solution to inoc it. Also, since they were so dry, I used the empty KS syringe to put in like 10-20 ml of water into each cake to moisten them up a bit.

That's about it. I covered all the jars with aluminum foil and plopped them into my incubator. They are currently resting in there with temps fluctuating between about 80-87F.

If anyone has any comments, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

OfflineMinimumEfrt2
enthusiast
    #2449733 - 03/19/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

any signs of mycelium yet? if so which jars?

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Grow Log Using Quinoa [Re: MinimumEfrt2]
    #2449756 - 03/19/04 01:12 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I haven't cheked yet, I plan to check on Tuesday.

Stay tuned :smile:

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Grow Log Using Quinoa (First Grow) [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #2465828 - 03/24/04 12:54 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

3/23/04

Well, its Tuesday, that means its time to check on my chillins and post an update.

When checking, I got 2 surprises.  One good, and one really really shitty.

The good thing is that all 5 of the plastic tubs are actually successfully colonized and have respectable patches of mycelium.  I was really expecting all of them to contam or not grow anything at all since they were really dry after sterilizing them in the microwave.  Hmm, go figure.

The really really shitty surprise was that ALL of my hawk based jars contamed.  I was really disappointed with that.  I'm pretty sure it is "Wet Spot" (Bacillus sp).  Damn Shame.

The PF based jars, however, are doing really well.  There is considerable growth in all jars except 1.  That one has a small tiny splotch.  I'm thankful that I at least have those 19 jars left.

Unfortunately, the batteries in the camera died, so no pics :frown:

I would appreciate any comments you guys can offer.

Thanks.

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#2517905 - 04/02/04 04:55 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

4/01/04:

OK, today I opened up my incubator and decided that it was time to case some of my jars.

Out of 19 KS jars, 18 of them were 100% colonized.  1 was practically 0%, no sign of contam though.  Go figure.

Out of 18 PR jars, 3 were 100% colonized, and 1 was about 99%.  The remainder were between 10-60%.

The 4 plastic tubs were surprisingly well colonized.  They were between 50-75%  I think they have stalled due to lack of gas exchange and probably not enough moisture.  To solve the gas-exchange problem, I quickly opened the blue tops and removed the cling wrap used during sterilization, then replaced the blue tops.  I hope this helps.

For my casing substance, I used the 50/50+ tek.
I used:
4 cups verm
4 cups peat
1.5 tsp Lime
1.5 cup oyster shell
shitload of water

I added water until the mixture was very wet.  About the consistency of split-pea soup.  I over watered it intentionally, since I was going to sterilize it in the microwave.  After nuking it on high for about 30 minutes (in increments of 10), the casing mixture was field capacity in terms of moisture.

This provided me with just enough casing substance to cover my casings, and about 2 cups left over for patching.

For casing trays, I used those disposable aluminum bread pans used for baking.  I filled about 1/8 with casing substance, followed by about 3/4 of substrate, followed by another 1/8 of casing substance.  I was able to fit 3 jars per trey, although I think it is possible to fit 4 with a slightly thinner casing layer.

Out of the 18 KS cakes, I was able to make 3 casings.  And out of the 3 PR cakes that were 100%, I was able to make 1 casing.  I left the PR cake that was 99% in the incubator, and plan to case it later with the cakes from the blue tubs, or maybe make a little mini casing out of the one cake.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.

P.S.
Sorry for not having any pics up, I currently don't have any batteries for the digicam.  :frown:

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#2537949 - 04/08/04 03:22 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

4/7/04:

OK, last night I took 3 of the PR jars and the 4 plastic tubs out of the incubator.  1 of the plastic tubs had a black contam in the center of the cake, so I had to trash it :frown:.  The other 3 were fine, however.

In addition to the jar that I mentioned last time (the one that was 99%), 2 more reached 100% last night also, so I took all 3 out.

Instead of making them into casings, I decided to just fruit them all as cakes.  I dunked the 6 cakes in H2O2/water solution, inside the fridge.  I took them out of the fridge today, and put them in my incubator.

I put the cakes in a smaller Tupperware container, on top of a bed of verm, moistened with H2O2/water solution (I didn't have any perlite).  I left the smaller container uncovered and put it in my incubator.

My incubator stays in the low 70's, and I am using two cold cathode lights to make light (Duh...), as well as provide some heat.

I also checked on the casings in the incubator.  One of the KS casings showed a little piece of mycelium on the top, but nothing else.  The PR has quite a few little splotches, which I patched.  I am hoping they will be ready to fruit before next week.
/me crosses fingers :tongue2:

Still no bats for the digicam...sorry.

As always, I appreciate any comments or suggestions you guys could offer. 

Thanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation