Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBensi
Big Green Machine
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Omicron Persei 8 Flag
Wild Tomato Plant * 2
    #24136189 - 03/04/17 01:03 PM (7 years, 26 days ago)

I walked down a bayou the other day to get a better look at some large carp I could see from the road and came upon a group of about a dozen small tomato plants. Surprising to me as I've never come across a wild tomato plant much less a group of them. I took five of them home with me and I'm excited to see what variety they turn out to be. Just wanted to share my finding.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerubberlizard
Brewer and hobbymycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Probably my brewery
Re: Wild Tomato Plant [Re: Bensi]
    #24145499 - 03/08/17 05:02 AM (7 years, 23 days ago)

Sounds interesting.

Where in the world are you located? approximately :smile:

Think its really wild growing tomatoes or could it be someone who dropped a tomato or a slice of one?

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
    #24304297 - 05/08/17 09:37 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I had some come up in the backyard this year, I threw out some bad ones last year for my chickens and had 4 tomatoe plants come up in February.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #24313201 - 05/11/17 11:11 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

unless you're in south american jungles, it's highly unlikely that is a "wild" tomato plant.  the word you are likely looking for is "volunteer"

wild tomato plants grow huge huge huge and can live for many years, but, afaik, this is exclusive to [the jungles of] South America.  maybe some parts of southern-central America

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleJohnny Dont
500 Don'ts of Knife Safety

Re: Wild Tomato Plant [Re: demiu5]
    #24329385 - 05/18/17 08:48 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I work a couple days a week on an organic farm. Every early spring there are hundreds of volunteer tomatoes, they get pulled with the weeds.

I do believe that tomatoes are originally from Mexico, the Aztecs grew them. Not sure if there were other varieties in other parts of the Americas before :shrug:

--------------------
I have left life and loves behind me, to be blown about as the sea desires, to have the freedom of the open air, and to be witness to the making of the world.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Wild Tomato Plant [Re: Johnny Dont] * 1
    #24330170 - 05/18/17 02:03 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Johnny Dont said:
I work a couple days a week on an organic farm. Every early spring there are hundreds of volunteer tomatoes, they get pulled with the weeds.

I do believe that tomatoes are originally from Mexico, the Aztecs grew them. Not sure if there were other varieties in other parts of the Americas before :shrug:

Quote:

Tomatoes originated from the Andes, in what is now called Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador - where they grew wild. They were first cultivated by the Aztecs and Incas as early as 700 AD.

--------------------

InvisibleJohn NadaDiscord
Toujours Frais
 User Gallery
Loc: Hotwings; race car
    #24330566 - 05/18/17 04:23 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, these wild andean tomatoes are even smaller than cherry tomatoes. They're like the size of peas.

Solanum pimpinellifolium

Apparently they will cross with domestic tomatoes easily. I think I'm gonna buy some seeds.

InvisibleJohnny Dont

#24331054 - 05/18/17 07:37 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

demiu5 said:
Quote:

Johnny Dont said:

Quote:

Tomatoes originated from the Andes, in what is now called Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador - where they grew wild. They were first cultivated by the Aztecs and Incas as early as 700 AD.

Intresting. I would imagine if they are originally from south America that's where they would of been cultivated first.

Where did you quote that from. I would like to read more about it.

--------------------
I have left life and loves behind me, to be blown about as the sea desires, to have the freedom of the open air, and to be witness to the making of the world.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Wild Tomato Plant [Re: Johnny Dont]
    #24331522 - 05/18/17 10:35 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Johnny Dont said:
Quote:

demiu5 said:
Quote:

Johnny Dont said:

Quote:

Intresting. I would imagine if they are originally from south America that's where they would of been cultivated first.

Where did you quote that from. I would like to read more about it.

http://www.flavourfresh.com/historyoftomatoes.htm

first hit on google.  i didn't look too hard for something more detailed, cause this was stuff i learned back in ag classes along the way

this is from wiki, but no citations listed for the references:

Quote:

Wild species

Including Solanum lycopersicum, there are currently 13 species recognized in Solanum section Lycopersicon. Three of these species — S. cheesmaniae, galapagense, and pimpinellifolium — are fully cross compatible with domestic tomato. Four more species—S. chmielewskii, S. habrochaites, S. neorickii, and S. pennelli—can be readily crossed with domestic tomato, with some limitations. Five species—S. arcanum, S. chilense, S. corneliomulleri, S. huaylasense, and S. peruvianum—can be crossed with domestic tomato with difficulty and usually require embryo rescue to produce viable plants. The Lycopersicon section has not been fully sampled within wild species in the South American range, so new species may be added in the future.[citation needed]

Solanum section Lycopersicoides and section Juglandifolium are represented by two species each that are considered bridge species genetically intermediate between tomato and non-tuber bearing potato species. S. lycopersicoides can be crossed with domestic tomato and introgression lines[18] have been developed. This species was significant in moving the domestic tomato from separate genus status into the Solanum group because it directly links the tomato into the potato family

but a little searching, especially geared towards anthropological record could probably find you some more detailed info

--------------------

InvisibleJohnny Dont

#24332449 - 05/19/17 09:07 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome thanks

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies