Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot
    #24260553 - 04/20/17 09:25 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/marijuana-induced-anxiety-is-weed-cultures-bigfoot

Ever get the fear when you smoke up? Scientists are still trying to work out why.

You might not remember your first time smoking weed. But you'll remember the first time smoking weed made you freak the fuck out.

I was at a friend's house five years ago, curled into a ball after three hits of unequivocally good weed. My brain loomed in and out of consciousness. I was scared. Every few seconds, the room would turn black. I could feel my heart about to burst, and eventually, I succumbed to a comatose-like sleep. It wasn't like other times, and it sucked.

Marijuana-induced anxiety is weed culture's Bigfoot—an urban legend that's perpetuated by hearsay, rather than fact. Everyone knows someone whose friend's cousin had a bad trip. ("But like, weed is really good for anxiety, right?"). As a result, the truth of the matter is muddled, and discussing reefer madness can actually make you feel insane.

"I puked some indeterminate number of times. Then I basically just lay down on the tile floor. Some part of me was aware, the whole time, that I was just way too high, and it would eventually pass," one person told me about their experience. "I woke up on the bathroom floor in the morning. I felt extremely bad."

"My boyfriend and I had tickets to a Kate Nash concert and smoked a joint before heading out," said another. "I remember feeling kind of floaty on the cab ride over—almost like I wasn't fully in my body…Then, during the opener, the room started to go dizzy and I suddenly couldn't see or hear anything. The next thing I remember is waking up on the floor several minutes later, a crowd of people hovering around me, feeling like I'd died."

"I wasn't right for the next three days," one person who developed a later anxiety disorder told me. "My friends still talk about this event and we laugh, but that experience fucked me up and I never smoked weed again. And never will."

I spoke to dozens of people whose symptoms were mostly the same: anxiety, distorted vision or hearing, dizziness, and blacking out. These aren't the nice effects of weed, mind you. And as someone with an anxiety disorder, I can tell you they feel a lot like a panic attack.

Thanks in part to stringent marijuana laws, it's been difficult for researchers to gather data that isn't only self-reported.

But it's not clear whether weed jumpstarts anxiety disorders, and the association is tenuous. When existing studies on this topic were reevaluated, and other anxiety stressors were controlled for, an almost insignificant amount of people showed a link between marijuana use and anxiety development. Research based on longitudinal data from a National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions, which included interviews with 34,653 participants, also found negligible evidence that weed can catalyze anxiety.

Still, thanks in part to stringent marijuana laws, it's been difficult for researchers to gather data that isn't only self-reported. Things like cannabis strain, for instance, which can determine the type of high that someone gets, are impossible to standardize in large studies.

"It's not just whether or not a person has a genetic risk factor. It's really looking at the expression of those genes, and that's brought on by environmental factors that change the way genes are expressed," April Thames, an assistant professor at the University of California, Los Angeles' Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, told me.

"It's conceivable that the use of these substances could impact one's trajectory to develop anxiety, but need there needs to be more research."

For people who already have anxiety disorders, it's a little different. Stress and anxiety are brother and sister—controlling one can help the other. A prominent theory suggests that naturally occurring cannabinoids in our brains can be produced in response to stress hormones. These molecules, in turn, may disrupt the amygdala, a region near the base of our brain that contributes to anxious feelings when overstimulated, according to a 2016 study published in the Journal of Neuroscience. It should be noted, however, that this was an animal study, which affects its ability to reliably predict these same results in humans.

Another study, published one year earlier in Neuropsychopharmacology Reviews, also linked cannabinoids, specifically anandamide (AEA) and 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG), to stress responses. It stated that certain cannabinoid receptors interact with these molecules to regulate stress. Based on this research, it's been theorized that when tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC—the psychoactive compound in weed that gets you high—binds with specific brain receptors, feelings of anxiety can either be increased or decreased. And for some people, smoking weed with higher levels of THC can induce symptoms common with anxiety.

"If someone has a history of anxiety, panic episodes, or even depression, cannabis can exacerbate those effects, according to some literature," Thames added. "There's some thought that cannabis has a connection [with making these receptors more sensitive], bringing on an anxiety-like state."

Different strains of weed can also play a role. Thoughtful sellers often prescribe indica, rather than sativa, to anxiety-prone people. There are shaky genetic differences between modern Cannabis indica and Cannabis sativa, but very broadly, certain types of indica can possess higher cannabidiol (CBD) levels. CBD is a cannabinoid like THC, but is non-psychoactive, resulting in a gentler high. (As with all homeopathic medicine, your method may vary.)

If one thing's for certain, it's that weed is still drastically under-researched, and we won't know if and when weed will give us a panic attack until we surpass regulatory hurdles and embrace the science. Hopefully, as marijuana laws become less draconian, psychologists will have more freedom to study its effects—positive and negative.

Until then, don't feel down if weed makes you feel bad. Experiment with different strains, and at the end of the day, remember that it's supposed to make you feel good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: tdubz] * 3
    #24260579 - 04/20/17 09:34 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

"Marijuana-induced anxiety is weed culture's Bigfoot—an urban legend that's perpetuated by hearsay, rather than fact. Everyone knows someone whose friend's cousin had a bad trip. ("But like, weed is really good for anxiety, right?"). As a result, the truth of the matter is muddled, and discussing reefer madness can actually make you feel insane."

Wtf do the mean by weed cultures big foot? If a person says they get anxiety from mj, they get anxiety from MJ. Its not rare, it's not a myth.. So why exactly did they use the Bigfoot analogy??

I get anxiety every time I smoke. Especially if I'm really high.. Not really mysterious to me...

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24260600 - 04/20/17 09:43 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I get anxiety with different strains...I think what they mean is that it is a common occurrence, but people just assume that you can't manage your high. And at the same time the weed culture encourages you to smoke a lot even if it might be too much for that person with a low tolerance or first starting to smoke weed.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: tdubz]
    #24260647 - 04/20/17 10:05 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah that makes sense. I read it more and I think they perhaps are referring to how we don't understand how or why it happens(elusive, like Bigfoot I guess).. Also like you said that people are assuming different things/ making up stories, misinformation..

It was very misleading imo at first, think they couldve found another better analogy.

Weed culture does encourage you to smoke a lot. Its funny all my big pothead buddies wish they had low tolerances.. Its pretty easy, you just smoke less like I do, i try to tell them...

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Loc: washington state Flag
    #24260685 - 04/20/17 10:24 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

i sure do remember the first time.  it hit me while i was driving 50 on the freeway in a 70 zone, thinking EVERYONE KNOWS IM STONED.  funny how it does that.  I never knew what impairment felt like so i kept smoking bowls.  i left my friends and 15 mins later thats what i felt it.  like whoa

--------------------
welcome to my world http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/326

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: sprinkles]
    #24260692 - 04/20/17 10:27 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

First time I smoked weed I was doing DXM so the next day after a DXM trip it hit me pretty hard felt like I was floating out of my body dissociated even a day later after the trip.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #24260714 - 04/20/17 10:36 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

we know why we just forget every 4 years and have to research again

marijuana acts on the runners high which is meant to activate towards dawn and dusk on the way home, it is such that the sun is really low in the sky so that your eyes are really susceptible to damage around this time, hence the darty unfocused eyes

for lesser species this might mean getting lost

for shills this might mean gun nutjobs

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: Konyap]
    #24260724 - 04/20/17 10:39 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

:hmm:

Offlinebeforethedawn
    #24261047 - 04/21/17 03:05 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Probably just predisposed schizophrenia surfacing.

--------------------
Hostile humankind
Can't you see you're fucking blind?

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: beforethedawn]
    #24261056 - 04/21/17 03:28 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

It all depends on the strain and tolerence of a individal, I have had some potent roadkill skunk that was so racey it made you sweat, and I mean this happed to several pll in my circle of friends...sweet island skunk but super charged.

OfflineCrispykoot
Jello Wrangler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #24261178 - 04/21/17 06:37 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

It's more about the dosage than strain IME...

I've been growing for about 30 years and I have anxiety issues. Smoking weed is no issue...Large amounts of bubble hash and concentrates seem to trigger it. I know how to handle it, but it always comes up in large doses. No biggie. Just an observation.

--------------------

:gd_icon: Shadowboxing the apocalypse and wandering the land :gd_icon:

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #24261305 - 04/21/17 08:11 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
It all depends on the strain and tolerence of a individal, I have had some potent roadkill skunk that was so racey it made you sweat, and I mean this happed to several pll in my circle of friends...sweet island skunk but super charged.

i had a similar experience one summer.  had been smoking for ~9 months, only getting really good stuff sparsely.  went to visit my brother at uni.  his rommate had some incredible buds, and we smoked a few bowls chillin watching a movie and cooking.  about half an hour after smoking, i started sweating profusely, my heart was racing, and i thought i was going to vomit.  i dry-heaved some but never vomited.  within an hour, all symptoms had passed and never recurred. 

can't explain that one!

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineOfTheVoid46
Timeless
Male

Loc: USA
Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24261391 - 04/21/17 09:16 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mush 4 Brains said:
"Marijuana-induced anxiety is weed culture's Bigfoot—an urban legend that's perpetuated by hearsay, rather than fact. Everyone knows someone whose friend's cousin had a bad trip. ("But like, weed is really good for anxiety, right?"). As a result, the truth of the matter is muddled, and discussing reefer madness can actually make you feel insane."

Wtf do the mean by weed cultures big foot? If a person says they get anxiety from mj, they get anxiety from MJ. Its not rare, it's not a myth.. So why exactly did they use the Bigfoot analogy??

I get anxiety every time I smoke. Especially if I'm really high.. Not really mysterious to me...

Exactly!!! This isn't even "news" so I'm not sure why it's here.
Honestly I was waiting for a "I'm kidding!" but ya .....
This is something that a super pro pot person would say like "OMG No Wayz Weedz Could Doz Thatz".
And yes, they would speak in that retarded manner because you'd have to be retarded to believe weed doesn't frequently cause anxiety.

Maybe someone mixed up 4/20 with 4/1 and this is a really lame joke.

I get anxious nearly every time I smoke - even if I'm LOVING it.
Often I just talk myself down from it realizing there's no reason to be anxious or paranoid but nonetheless, it still happens and I do not have enough fingers/toes to count the amount of people I know personally that also get anxious from it.

--------------------

Offlinekneesocks
Divineress
Female User Gallery

Loc: Puget Sound/PNW Flag
Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: OfTheVoid46]
    #24261730 - 04/21/17 12:38 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I worry a lot when I'm stoned in the wrong set and setting.

--------------------
"An ignorant man is lost, faithless, and filled with self-doubt;
A soul that harbors doubt has no joy, not in this world or the next."
-Bhagavad-gita 4:40

Offlineprojectbadass
Wrangler

Loc: Northeast Ohio Flag
Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: kneesocks] * 1
    #24262515 - 04/21/17 07:40 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I realized some of my depression and anxiety was definitely made worse by "wake and bake man yeaa cool" recently and I'm 30.

--------------------

Edited by projectbadass (04/21/17 07:43 PM)

InvisibleBlueIndian
Maestro
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: projectbadass]
    #24262712 - 04/21/17 09:25 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

shit after 30 yrs I still get that way at times. Depends on time of day and other factors. Unexpected visitor or phone call where you have to go somewhere and act normal stoned doesn't help. Sativa strains seem to amp up the anxiety issues...can be quite racy. I've known ppl who smoked for years and gave it up because of the paranoia...could be a learned response as well.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: BlueIndian]
    #24263179 - 04/22/17 12:41 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

it's stupid though if you want to work a non retail job they have to take your piss

Offlinemisterjingo
Divided by zero
Male

Loc: Shangri-La Flag
Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: Konyap]
    #24263249 - 04/22/17 02:08 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

It's possible to go the other way. I always used to get some sort of anxiety when smoking, and it would get worse as I got higher.

Five or so years back, I started smoking daily (evenings, after everything was sorted) and still experienced the anxiety for the first 2-3 years. But over past year or so, I've been able to get obscenely high, and nothing. I'm still cautious due to the memory of "the fear", but it seems you can get over it with enough time and patience.

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: On Uranus Flag
Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: Crispykoot]
    #24264102 - 04/22/17 01:14 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Crispykoot said:
It's more about the dosage than strain IME...
I've been growing for about 30 years and I have anxiety issues. Smoking weed is no issue...Large amounts of bubble hash and concentrates seem to trigger it. I know how to handle it, but it always comes up in large doses. No biggie. Just an observation.

I don't have as many years smoking on me, but I've definitely noticed the difference in anxiety at different dosages if I smoke when I have low tolerance. If it's been a long time and I take light enough pulls from a small one-hitter that I don't cash it, I find it's very relaxing and I can maintain every couple of hours or so, if needed. If I've been dry for awhile and I take even a light puff off of a regular bowl, then the anxiety sets in, unless I've had a beer or two.
Interestingly, hashish tends not to cause me the same anxiety, even if I smoke a good amount...and the hash I get has always been top notch for me. I've only ever gotten the fear off of the herb itself.

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits
"I feel the same way about disco as I feel about herpes."-Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana-Induced Anxiety Is Weed Culture's Bigfoot [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #24264282 - 04/22/17 02:42 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I totally do get "the fear". Have you ever been about to do something stressful, like imagine you have to go to court or something, and you smoke up for whatever reason, and you just keep thinking to yourself "i cant even do it, i cant go today" etc. that is, if on the verge of a panic attack, cannabis can definitely fling you further towards that. And most people i know that smoke at all moderately, they get panicky when they smoke too much.

But even daily use. Maybe especially, i notice can have an element of stress

All medicine has some side effects. Yes, weed can cause anxiety of a certain nature, there's really no denying that.

Just becauss it can cure some types of anxiety/depression/stress which tends to be lumped together. It kinda bothers me when i see people pretend weed has no side effects. Cause, if it does anything, i think this is the one significant side effect, personally. But its manageable. Although people have freakouts, even veterans, on their first 3g edible sometimes. It happens :shrug:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order