Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
safety of wild picking
    #2425675 - 03/12/04 10:47 PM (20 years, 20 days ago)

I understand that this is probably a really dumb question but i am new to the shroom world so i will just ask it. I have heard that picking wild shrooms is dangerous because alot of shrooms are deadly. I was just wondering how to tell if a shroom is safe and also if anyone knew which ones are safe in ohio (i got lots of farms around) thanks for your help. :yesnod:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWashroomer
Stranger

Re: safety of wild picking [Re: whiterabbit13]
    #2425744 - 03/12/04 11:05 PM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Wild picking is extremely unsafe unless one learns to interpret a field guide. More so if you don't strive to aknowledge resources readily available to you. My advice to you is do not pick any mushroom you intend to eat unless you have exhausted every avenue of information you can obtain!

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: safety of wild picking [Re: Washroomer]
    #2425794 - 03/12/04 11:22 PM (20 years, 20 days ago)

which i absolutely plan to do. thats hwy im trying to learn now because i wouldnt be doing it for a while
also after i picked i would try to identify and also post pics and get other opinions. i understand the risk factor and i am fully ready to take every precaution possible before consuming.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2426051 - 03/13/04 12:50 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

It is easier to learn what not to pick first.

The deadly Amanita have white spores and gills. So never pick any which gilled shrooms.

The deadly Galerina's (three species) have coinnamon to orange rusty gills and spores. The have a white ring on their stems anf they can groow in and around several species of Psilocybe.. Also is Conocybe filaris, another deadly shroom.

The Psilocybe shrooms have chocolate to purple brown spores and gills.

The Cyans and baeoos have pure white stems and stain blue

In fields is the dangerous Gree gills, Morgans LEpiota. IT is whitre gilled and then tuerns an o ugly green. In Florida, this shroom causes more accidental discomfort for people looking for cubes.. PErsonally it looks nothing like a cube. So some people are realyy ignorant inthe field.

Mj

Read the ultimate shroom guide here at the shroomey

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2426246 - 03/13/04 03:20 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

The basic rule for eating any wild mushrooms you might find (for whatever reason) is that you need to know what species it is before you eat it, and you should be able to explain to somebody else exactly how you know what it is.

While photographs are useful tools for helpling identify mushrooms, beginners almost always overuse them. Do *not* identify your mushrooms by only comparing them to photographs. Lots of people get poisoned every year that way. The problem is that the beginner doesn't know what details in the photograph are important and which aren't.

The sticky thread at the top of the forum gives you a basic list of the details you need to note about the mushrooms you find.

And there are plenty of people out here who are willing to help you identify and learn to identify your finds. Make sure you give us the details we need to do it - some of us get a bit cranky when somebody posts a bad, out-of-focus photo of some random mushroom they found and, without any additional information, asks the immortal question, "r theez active d00dz?"

The best overall rule for eating wild mushrooms is, "if in doubt, throw it out."

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2426252 - 03/13/04 03:23 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

This question requires an answer too long for typing. Your best bet is to read the Mushroom Hunting FAQ here at the shroomery and buy a good field guide. Also read the forum rules and guidelines thread while you're at it. "What king of mushrooms grow here" type posts are not allowed in this forum because the information is readily avaliable.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2426355 - 03/13/04 05:02 AM (20 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

whiterabbit13 said:
I understand that this is probably a really dumb question but i am new to the shroom world so i will just ask it. I have heard that picking wild shrooms is dangerous because alot of shrooms are deadly. I was just wondering how to tell if a shroom is safe and also if anyone knew which ones are safe in ohio (i got lots of farms around) thanks for your help. :yesnod:

To be completely 100% safe-DO NOT EAT ANY MUSHROOM YOU FIND IN THE FIELD"-UNLESS YOU ARE 100% POSITIVE OF IT'S ID!
I am also new to the mushroom world and I have found all kinds of mushrooms that I have no idea what they are-some I find,I'm too scared to touch (scared or just playing it safe?).Get a good field guide(Audabon guide to North American Mushrooms-I think it is called)there are so many of them-but you can also follow the "faq" and it will tell you how to properly give a description of what you find and someone here will give you id on what you find! "pictures speak a thousand words".Good Luck in hunting :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale