Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: NordVPN NordVPN   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   PureVPN PureVPN

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show * 1
    #24256815 - 04/19/17 12:10 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/apr/19/brain-scans-reveal-mind-opening-response-to-psychedelic-drug-trip-lsd-ketamine-psilocybin

Quote:

Wednesday 19 April 2017

Study records what appears to be the first evidence for mind-opening state experienced by users of LSD, ketamine and psilocybin

Researchers measured the activity of neurons in people’s brains as the drugs took hold.

Brain scans have revealed the first evidence for what appears to be a heightened state of consciousness in people who took psychedelic drugs in the name of science.

Healthy volunteers who received LSD, ketamine or psilocybin, a compound found in magic mushrooms, were found to have more random brain activity than normal while under the influence, according to a study into the effects of the drugs.

The shift in brain activity accompanied a host of peculiar sensations that the participants said ranged from floating and finding inner peace, to distortions in time and a conviction that the self was disintegrating.

Researchers at the University of Sussex and Imperial College, London, measured the activity of neurons in people’s brains as the drugs took hold. Similar measurements have shown that when people are asleep or under anaesthetic, their neurons tend to fire in a more predictable way than when they are awake.

“What we find is that under each of these psychedelic compounds, this specific measure of global conscious level goes up, so it moves in the other direction. The neural activity becomes more unpredictable,” said Anil Seth, a professor of neuroscience at the University of Sussex. “Until now, we’ve only ever seen decreases compared to the baseline of the normal waking state.”

Brain activity with (left to right) psilocybin, ketamine and LSD. The red areas indicate higher levels of random brain activity than normal.

The research, published in the journal Scientific Reports, appears 74 years to the day after the Swiss chemist Albert Hoffman went on the world’s first LSD trip. In one of the most terrifying examples of self experimentation in the annals of science, Hoffman ingested 250 micrograms of lysergic acid and had to be helped home on his bicycle by his lab assistant. After a local doctor reassured Hoffman that he was not about to die, the scientist began to enjoy himself, writing later about fantastic images surging in on him and “exploding in coloured fountains.”

The scans found the most notable effects in parts of the brain that are known to be important for perceptions, rather than other roles such as language and movement. And while it is unclear how the change in brain activity affects consciousness, the result is what the scientists expected.

“I think people would have the intuitive idea that their experience on psychedelic compounds is a bit more random, a bit less constrained, that there’s a mixing of the senses, and all kinds of connections that are experienced between things that are previously unconnected,” Seth said.

Robin Carhart-Harris, a researcher at Imperial College who took part in the study, said the sudden increase in randomness in brain activity appeared to reflect a deeper and richer conscious state.

“People tend to associate phrases like ‘a higher state of consciousness’ with hippy speak and mystical nonsense. This is potentially the beginning of the demystification, showing its physiological and biological underpinnings,” he said. “Maybe this is a neural signature of the mind opening.”

Beyond confirming what scores of hippies learned more than 40 years ago, the research could help scientists to understand what neural activity corresponds to different levels of consciousness in humans. Another hope is that by understanding how people respond to the drugs, doctors can more accurately predict which patients might benefit from having psychedelic drugs to treat mental disorders, such as depression.

Carhart-Harris was among researchers who published a small trial last year into the use of psilocybin to treat serious depression. The results were promising, but more studies are needed before the compound can be considered for treatment, and the scientists warned people off picking magic mushrooms to treat their condition.

“The evidence is becoming clear that there is a clinical efficacy with these drugs,” said Seth. “We might be able to measure the effects of LSD in an individual way to predict how someone might respond to it as treatment.”

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineManic626
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #24257748 - 04/19/17 06:40 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

Strange.. The magic mushrooms seem to be small and very specific.

Offlineolson
Stranger

Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: Manic626]
    #24257972 - 04/19/17 08:27 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Manic626 said:

Yeah I noticed that too. LSD seems to more closely resemble ketamine on the brain scan images. I can't say LSD feels much like ketamine, certainly not more than mushrooms.

--------------------

OfflineEverything
(~} ;-}
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: olson]
    #24258087 - 04/19/17 09:21 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

Well in another study done a few years ago psilocybin actually temporarily decreased brain activity while the activity in the center of the brain became more concentrated.

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: Everything]
    #24258293 - 04/19/17 10:38 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

LSD turns you brain into overdrive,wielding that state of mind is a different story.

InvisibleSham87
GWELLIES!
Male

Loc: Pacific Coast
Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #24258321 - 04/19/17 10:52 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

thanks for the post!

--------------------
:mushroom2::sun::crazy2::leaf:

...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...
:feelsgoatman:

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #24258626 - 04/20/17 01:44 AM (2 months, 6 days ago)

It doesn't come as much surprise to me that scientists can now prove that mind altering drugs alter the mind. Its neat to see the pictures though.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Offlineaura8
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #24261131 - 04/21/17 07:42 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

thats cool. one step closer to using these substances to help people clinically

--------------------
save travels!

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: aura8]
    #24280522 - 04/29/17 05:39 AM (1 month, 28 days ago)

I do Not trust brain scans regarding psychoactives anymore. Graphics are so easy to manipulate. Thanks Ricuarte.

People dont argue with it, its just "science". Look at people now comparing lsd and ketamine due to colors

But if it is true, it actually does make sense, Ketamine works on NMDA receptors, which are everywhere. LSD has 5ht2 affinity like psilo but also alot of other effects. And i guess psilo is just highly specific with its agonism, only at one area, this is probably a good thing for psilo, if true

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open your third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (04/29/17 05:51 AM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: olson]
    #24280530 - 04/29/17 05:46 AM (1 month, 28 days ago)

Quote:

olson said:
Quote:

Manic626 said:

Yeah I noticed that too. LSD seems to more closely resemble ketamine on the brain scan images. I can't say LSD feels much like ketamine, certainly not more than mushrooms.

Of course, it shouldnt! Ket is a dissociative and shares almost nothing chemically with LSD and Psilo. They're just all considered psychedelic. Though some dont consider ket/pcp to be "true" psychedelics. But, i guess they are, just not tryptamines. This is what i mean by brain scans and being misleading, just cause the color is similar or something, they must be similar chemicals, etc.

--------------------
Grinning wide

Offlineolson
Stranger

Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: Fractal420]
    #24281607 - 04/29/17 03:48 PM (1 month, 28 days ago)

I'm assuming it's an fMRI scan so the darker red represents increased blood flow (which correlates with neuronal activity) relative to a control brain.
Regarding image manipulating, I'm sure the images are quantified in the same manner as immunhistochemistry or western blotting.
It's the graphical representation that is important in the end of the day since it provides an objective measure of the differences observed in the images.

You're right that a brain scan doesn't really tell us much and the subjective effects of a drug. A more broad receptor binding profile might explain the discrepancy between LSD and psilocybin.

--------------------

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#24283922 - 04/30/17 02:07 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

^^Also, when presenting such imagery, to make it super clear what they are trying to show, just specify *exactly* what the colors mean. A true objective legend. And legit sources/proof. Then i would be cool with such images. But the problem i think *really* is that *OTHER* people will misunderstand. Who remembers the late 90s and "Ecstasy causes holes in your brain"? Even after that was proven to be false. There was even a damn HBO documentary (gotta dig it up now, Small Town Ecstasy, which showed a "roll-friendly family" and at one point the son got a scan (i forget what kind) and the doctor said "this is the brain of a 45 year old man". To be fair, he did attribute it to "stress" but concluded it was mdma/x-induced, prolly cause the cameras were on him lol, and that was the view at the time. Can go back to LSD and chromosomes.

I still sometimes hear "sometimes when i crack my back i start tripping, cause i triggered a flashback, due to all the acid in my spine",

Some girl even said "the doctor told me my spinal fluid was ALL lsd, i had to do a spinal tap". I was tripping at the time, remember just being like "what a liar" in my head lol

--------------------
Grinning wide

Offlineaura8
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Psychedelic drugs induce 'heightened state of consciousness', brain scans show [Re: Fractal420]
    #24289601 - 05/02/17 02:35 PM (1 month, 25 days ago)

yes it is a tad misleading in that case.

I still hear the LSD in the spine thing. I have a friend who still says it despite me correcting him cuz he thinks its cool I guess. lol. and my old councilor had pictures in his office of drugs and their affect on the brain esp MDMA which he pointed out to me but it was just a black and white photograph showing the parts of the brain that were the least active. I thought it was fishy cuz cocaine seemed a helluva lot safer than the one with the marijuana use lol.

if only I could do yoga and start tripping.... lol

--------------------
save travels!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: NordVPN NordVPN   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   PureVPN PureVPN

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service