Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
Re: Catastrophic Disaster no. 2 [Re: poponon]
    #24238860 - 04/12/17 09:58 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

As far as flooding . Make a pan 6" larger all around the greenhouse​. Mine is 1"X2" screwed to 1/4" plywood. Fabric shops / hobby lobby have heavy clear PVC in all weights sold by the yard to line pan with. Just use wet shop vac to clean occasionally. I'll try to get a pic.

Your using a jiggle weight on the AA , it takes quite a bit of water if you don't keep the temp regulated perfect. Feel your pain on your new cooker. I've also not gotten the lid perfectly even and had small steam leaks there also.

--------------------

Edited by Quadman (04/12/17 10:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: Catastrophic Disaster no. 2 [Re: Quadman]
    #24239804 - 04/13/17 09:20 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

The funny part is that was probably going to work, not high yield though.

--------------------

Growing mushrooms, general guide and information (Ferather's Journal), https://ibb.co/rG3rML2

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27857366#27857366

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek [DTS:X] - Unlocked and reprogrammed.

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: At The Gates
Re: Catastrophic Disaster no. 2 [Re: Ferather]
    #24243901 - 04/14/17 03:51 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, the sad part is I have the modified port for the AA. I decided it was best to learn to use it "as is", before modifying it. Yeah, I learned alright. :banghead:  It gets 3 quarts of water now before use.

I have modified the greenhouse by putting a fan in it on a timer. Every hour that goes by it turns the fan on for a half hour. Seems to be drying things up. I will look into putting four pans on the outside though, sounds like some solid advice. Right now it looks like this:

I couldn't run the vaporizer on the timer because once it is shut off it has to be turned back on. Simply reconnecting the electricity will not turn it on. So it runs continuously.

At least the blocks aren't completely dry or waterlogged. They are finding a happy medium, but still no mushrooms.

I also decided to see if I could reuse my disposable petri dishes. Figured a run in the pc for about 40 minutes would sterilize it. Yeah, that didn't work out.

I guess disposable means you only get one use out of it. Who knew! :facepalm3:

Oh yeah, the Stars Wars cereal just wouldn't get eat'n in my house, hell I even tried to eat it and couldn't choke it down, and I am a cheap bum. I hate to let anything go to waste. Them mushie's almost had a shot at it. I'll try again with something else nobody in this house will eat. lol:laugh2:
I think I have some old tortilla shells no one wants to eat, well I think they are too old for human consumption. They're next. :flowstone:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek
My Agrocybe Aegerita Grow Log

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: And then there was nothing! [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24255690 - 04/18/17 10:29 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Well, this is kind of an update. Things have dramatically done nothing. The bags I made have been coming along exceedingly well.

Nice white and hydrated to perfection.

Even that big bastard I was sure was going to contaminate because I let a kitchens worth of contam ridden air in the bag.

But on the down side this piece of shit indoor greenhouse of fun has done fuck-all except piss all over my floor, take up needed space in my kitchen and has been working me like a rented mule filling up this fuckn dehydrator every night and every morning. I'm not trying to be negative or anything but damn, I thought this was suppose to be a hobby, not a second job. And for what? These blocks couldn't shit out one fukn pin. Just one measly little dried up shriveled penis looking pin, for my efforts at least. ahh I'm just grumpy. :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr: 

I did manage to get the humidity and fae dialed in a bit so there was no more water on the floor but the blocks still stayed moist.

These blocks don't look any better or worse after almost two weeks in this portable sauna. Not a single pin yet. hmmm

And yeah I know this one looks like rotten cabbage or something. But it always did.

Well, Imma give it another week and if I don't see a single pin I'm gonna punt these fukers over the front porch and down my driveway like footballs, and then run them over with my car.
There just isn't a shot in hell i'm going to stick my other bags in this greenhouse of horrors to die a slow humid death. I'll fruit um in the fukn bags, or put um in a monotub. I have too much time wrapped up in them to watch um all shit the bed. I'll update when something happens, or if I start punting these fukers out my front door. :oldman:

I feel I should add a disclaimer of sorts. I know these green houses have worked for other members of this community, good people too I might add. My experience, or failures are usually a direct result of my own actions, or inactions.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Update [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24484941 - 07/15/17 11:36 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry I did not conclude this Grow Log. I had some remodeling issues and a bit of contamination of sorts. The first set of blocks were discarded. I did however start new bags to replace the old ones. The older ones went into the Martha before it was dialed in and had succumbed to mold. The new ones used a little bit different recipe and I decided to leave them in the bags to fruit.

The 5 bags were made with Oak shavings, vermiculate, gypsum, egg shells, and cereal: "Corn Pops".

2 of the bags received Bone Meal

1 of the Bags received Bone Meal and Blood Meal

2 Bags received Bone Meal, Blood Meal and coffee

The Bone Meal only Bags fruited first:
They rendered at least one nice size mushroom that was cooked and eaten immediately.
It was cooked with Wild Chanterelles and Potatoes. mmm mmm! Tasty.

The top of the bag was cut off and then placed back on loosely to maintain humidity. Many more pins and mushrooms followed. This is today:

The Bag with Bone Meal and Blood Meal started pinning later and has about 8 clusters of primordial forming.

The Coffee Bags and still colonizing and have not rendered pins, mushrooms or primordial of any kind yet, but they don't appear contaminated.

More updates will follow.

The results have been obvious and I will differentiate between what I believe is my best recipe for the substrate.:awedance:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24485089 - 07/15/17 12:52 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting substrate recipes. Why did you decide to add those more exotic elements?

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Update [Re: TravelAgency]
    #24485941 - 07/15/17 08:10 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I almost forgot, thanks for reminding me, but I also put dog food in 3 of the 5 bags. The bag with all the fruiting mushrooms is one with dog food. Seems to be highly beneficial for mushrooms. I started crushing up dog food and putting it in at least half of my grows a few months back. Reason being, I use PDYA PDA MEA and a few others, as well as dog food agar. I have yet to find a mushroom variety, species, strain or otherwise that doesn't like dog food agar. Although I have not worked with as many different mushrooms as the experienced growers in this community I have worked with enough to know mushies like dog food. So I figured I would try it out with the Swordbelt. :stirthepot: 

I threw the cereal in because I ran outta bran and had some older cereals that were just sitting around.
I use egg shells in all my grows. Just threw it in one day and wham everything was whiter and looked healthier. So the added calcium (and protein from the egg whites)is something I think most of my grows benefit from. That would account for the Bone Meal as well. Different type of texture, size and source then egg shells. This was the Bone meal, dog food, egg shell bag first flush. I was happy because there are many more pins and primordia on the sub. 
The Coffee helped a bit in the first grow but produced some mixed results as it colonized. Coffee sucks. It is so problematic. Several TC's have told me, but I am hard headed and had to find out for my self. Hence, I tried it a second time and will keep it out of future recipes. These two coffee bags still have no pins or sign of pinning. That's isn't to say that they will not do well, but I am skeptical.

Blood meal seemed to be an alternative to coffee. High in nitrogen with a decreased chance in harboring mold. The bag with blood meal took longer to fruit but has clusters starting on every side of the bag. The pins are darker as well. Not sure if that is bad or good. This is the bag with the blood meal in it.

To give you a 100% honest answer to your question, I figured I wouldn't want to eat wood only, so why would a mushroom. Not much nutrition in it. That is really my rational for putting all of this stuff into these bags.
I just finished sterilizing four more bags. I am spawning the bags tomorrow and will update with the recipe.

Thanks for Asking TA. Good to hear from you.:thumbup:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24485958 - 07/15/17 08:20 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting stuff mate! May need to try a couple side by sides of egg shells... I like the idea. Good to see your update! :wave:

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

OfflineSolipsis
m̀¶à¶d̀¶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
    #24489413 - 07/17/17 12:18 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

lol dog food agar :smile:

Actually I do have a tin of 'yeast extract' actually meant for dogs and other such pets I bought exclusively for addition to media.. :laugh:
Have not added that to any agar yet though, nor have I tried adding fumaric acid which is supposed to be good against bacteria but I don't read about any people using it.. :P

Anyway nice going, mushenstein.. :smile:

I'm personally very new to Pioppino and actually also this will finally be my first time using my martha due to circumstances in the past years.. :laugh:

But yes its mycelium does look mighty cobwebby to me even though I think I have fine healthy cultures (that would mean cobweb overran the wedges I received from the very beginning I started them, not sure if that's possible without a 'fight' first unless the culture itself also wasn't viable on top of the contamination - unlikely right?)..

It's rather aggressive though compared to the Hericium species I am also growing. Does cobwebby mean aerial mycelium due to gas or humidity conditions by the way?

I can provide pics later if you like, although i don't want to hijack anything and can also try to find a central thread

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24490373 - 07/17/17 09:18 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mushenstein said:
To give you a 100% honest answer to your question, I figured I wouldn't want to eat wood only, so why would a mushroom. Not much nutrition in it. That is really my rational for putting all of this stuff into these bags.
I just finished sterilizing four more bags. I am spawning the bags tomorrow and will update with the recipe.

Ah, so you're finally using the Swordbelt strain?  Excellent!  My advice - yeah, I wouldn't want to eat wood only either, but what does every wood growing mushroom in the wild, ONLY eat?  Wood.  It's really all this strain seems to want.  And the whole purpose of mushrooms in the wild is to, of course, eat and decay wood (or other materials for other mushrooms).

But the Swordbelt strain of Pioppino?  All I've ever grown it on is straight wood fuel pellets and grain spawn.  Even without supplementation, it did amazing.  Here's proof:

Swordbelt strain, grown on ONLY hardwood fuel pellets and one quart of grain spawn:

Some other strain, grown on the same:

So yeah, ya really don't need to throw a whole bunch of shit in your substrate recipe.  Just work with the swordbelt strain, and use a decently high spawn rate, that way you don't even need to sterilize, I only used "bucket tek" pasteurization on that awesome block (just boiling water over plain wood pellets, spawned the next morning with a whole quart).  Amazing results, as you can see.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineSolipsis
m̀¶à¶d̀¶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Update [Re: Forrester]
    #24491044 - 07/18/17 06:41 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, I can almost smell the golden brown baked buns those look like..

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Update [Re: Solipsis]
    #24495324 - 07/19/17 11:54 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Solipsis said:
Wow, I can almost smell the golden brown baked buns those look like..

Haha, yeah I'd say they have a striking resemblance to cubes crossed with hamburger buns.  And man, are they delicious.  Looking at that first pic, I seriously can't believe that was grown unsupplemented, with faux-pasteurization.  The swordbelt strain is amazing, period.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Update [Re: Solipsis]
    #24498094 - 07/21/17 07:18 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry guys, I was out of town this week. Just got back. But, yeah very cobwebby if you are using culture syringe with like 1 cc in each jar it will be cobweb like. I suggest using Stamets LC recipe in GGMM. His recipe rocks. and it is thick, I am talking with all kinds of non-dissolvable particles floating around in it. The last one I made is 7 months old and is still producing out good quality spawn. I mean white thick mycelium. I will take a pic tonight and post it. 3cc of that and the entire jar is caked white in 3 weeks.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Update [Re: Forrester]
    #24498111 - 07/21/17 07:34 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Damn Forrester, what's the secret. Are you sweet talking the bags, giving a daily gentle massage :humpme:, or playing classical music around it? That looks like a freak'n cube grow Brother.   
What or how did you fruit that thing. It looks like it grew like that with the bag top cut off.
I just got my Martha somewhat dialed in with a cool mist humidifier, but I still have to tweak it a bit. But yeah, I would like to know your fruiting method and humidity levels maintained during fruiting.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24498545 - 07/21/17 11:44 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Playing music to them will be my first Side by side when I move into a bigger place - back in my cube days I ran that experiment and saw marked differences- however it was all with MS so it could (probably) have had everything to do with genetics.

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24498851 - 07/21/17 02:15 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

You gotta be shitting me? I was joking when I wrote it.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24499180 - 07/21/17 04:28 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Like I said 99% sure it was genetics.... but it's been scientifically proven to help plants soooo....

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24499396 - 07/21/17 06:17 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

If I thought I would get results like Forrester I would turn that Pioppino block into my love slave.  :missionary:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: 7-21 update [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24499469 - 07/21/17 07:07 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Aight, here is the update.

This is the bag that had everything in it. Oak wood shavings, gypsum, bone meal, egg shells, blood meal, cereal (corn pops) not sure if I put coffee in it, and I forgot to mention Hay. Yup, I put hay in it.

Strangely enough the first flush is better then all of the other bags. So the recipe wasn't bad, but I would still leave coffee out next time. Pioppino doesn't seem to benefit from it, but maybe that's just in my house.

These were all just different sides of the same bag.

This is the second flush on the first bag. Not as plentiful but there are more pins. This bag is in my Martha. The mushrooms seem more shapely, almost like the bag environment forms irregular shapes.

The next 5 pics are of the small bag which had coffee in it. It finally started to pin after I put it in my basement which is at least 10 degrees colder then the upstairs. Notice all of the side pinning. Might be going straight to the Martha tomorrow.

This is the pic of the big bag with coffee added to it, amongst other things. It is also in the basement, but has yet to pin. It also has some funky slime in it. It may be heading south.

I have a question. The last two pics are of the first bag. I can't tell if these are ready to pic or not. The caps seem like they are starting to turn inside out, but the veils have not broke. Do they look ready to pic???????

Maybe I should pic um and stick it in the Martha to see if the remaining fruits in the clusters mature. Insight is always welcome.
:mushdance:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24512936 - 07/27/17 10:14 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mushenstein said:
Damn Forrester, what's the secret. Are you sweet talking the bags, giving a daily gentle massage :humpme:, or playing classical music around it? That looks like a freak'n cube grow Brother.   
What or how did you fruit that thing. It looks like it grew like that with the bag top cut off.
I just got my Martha somewhat dialed in with a cool mist humidifier, but I still have to tweak it a bit. But yeah, I would like to know your fruiting method and humidity levels maintained during fruiting.

Ugh, I can't stand classical music!  I think for those bags I played them mostly gangsta' rap.  Brotha lynch, old NWA, you know.  24 hours/day so they can never sleep.  To force fruiting I just punch the bag right in the gut, like you'd do any other sucka', and tell 'em if they don't fruit and fruit good, I'd kill their family.  It usually works for most species.  Of anything.  Even kids.

lol J/K!  Yeah I can't remember but I think yes, as soon as the rather large pinset formed invitro, I just cut off the top of the bag at substrate level and let it grow!  Humidity?  I dunno, I never did invest in a hygrometer while I was growing mushrooms.  I just setup a cheap greenhouse (one of those $30 ones in almost all my gallery pics), and put like 2 humidifiers in it, leaving the front door completely unzipped.  That's how I grew all my mushrooms ever, never had a clue what the actual humidity was.  Interestingly, now I own like 5 hygrometers, but I use those for egg incubators for hatching chickens/ducks/geese/quail...  Also, interestingly (or not), I actually DO hate classical music.  Makes me wanna stab myself in the ears with a knife...  I'd rather be stuck in a car with death metal blasting at about 85db.  Oh yeah, that's my drive to work :lol:

Like I said, it's the swordbelt strain - not skill, that resulted in that bag.  Love to take credit, but I'm a lazy grower, might as well be honest about it haha!

--------------------
-------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds