Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Ecstasy made our girl kill herself
    #2422691 - 03/12/04 04:46 AM (20 years, 21 days ago)

www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/9612231?source=Evening%20Standard

Ecstasy made our girl kill herself
By Paul Sims, Evening Standard
12 March 2004
The parents of an 18-year-old student who killed herself while suffering from an ecstasy-induced depression warned today of the horrifying effects of the drug.

Fionnuala Cox is believed to have committed suicide by throwing herself under a train because of depression caused by the drug which she had taken for the first time after she was given it by a friend at a party.

Her father, Martin, a 54-year-old civil servant, said today that anyone tempted to take ecstasy at a Saturday night party should be aware of the knock-on depression that can lead to "suicide Tuesday" and "Wednesday blues".

Fionnuala was unable to cope with the violent side-effects of the drug which were exacerbated when she split up with her boyfriend.

An inquest jury yesterday returned an open verdict into her death.

Today Mr Cox and his wife, Nora, a 53-year-old social services manager-from Lee, south London, spoke for the first time about the death of their " beautiful and gifted" daughter.

Mrs Cox said: "It was unbelievable. She had her whole life ahead of her. We had no explanation for Fionnuala dropping out of our lives and no understanding of how something like this could happen."

After they found out that she had taken ecstasy, the couple investigated the impact of the drug.

Mr Cox said: "Something that gives you a high, at some point you get a corresponding low. How big that is or how deep that is depends on how much you take. There are a clear set of symptoms associated with the drug that last through a 24, 48-hour period and onwards."

The couple, who have two other children, are now campaigning for more information to be made available about the effects of the drug.

Southwark coroner's court heard that Fionnuala and a friend had each taken a pinch of powdered ecstasy at a party in Leeds organised by a close friend of her exboyfriend, Paul Latham. Later that evening she swallowed a further half tablet of the drug.

Mrs Cox said of Mr Latham: "He was not a schoolfriend and perhaps his circle of friends led to that culture entering her life.

"She was very caring about him and had tended to accompany him to various events."

Her break-up with Mr Latham had catastrophic consequences, the inquest was told. Mr Latham, who told the inquest it had been the first time Fionnuala had taken drugs, declined to speak to the Standard.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: Anno]
    #2424054 - 03/12/04 01:05 PM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Ummm...what a bunch of bullshit. "Fionnuala was unable to cope with the violent side-effects of the drug which were exacerbated when she split up with her boyfriend." Violent side effects? Huh?

Did they ever stop to think that maybe she killed herself because she just broke up with her boyfriend? I mean, suicide is like one of the top 3 killers of teens. Oh yeah, then that would make the parents feel some guilt over this, its a whole lot easier to just blame it on that "E" pill. I can't believe they print shit like this.

InvisibleMilkVein
unsure
 User Gallery

Loc: total bullshit->
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: kindadank]
    #2424176 - 03/12/04 01:30 PM (20 years, 20 days ago)

the death of someone is always tragic...her family must be so bummed-out...so let them make an excuse, it will help them cope...and how do you know that the drug didnt have anything to do with it?..its sad...and bunk X does kill people..it should be used with a sound mind.."which she didnt have at the time"....i hope her family heals..

--------------------
I've been first and last
Look at how the time goes past.
But I'm all alone at last.
Rolling home to you.

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: MilkVein]
    #2431809 - 03/14/04 04:04 PM (20 years, 18 days ago)

she killed herself...the drug didn't play any part in it. if she was that suicidal to begin with, well then......

like the man up there said, the parents just want something to blame. they don't want to feel responsible for her death, or feel that they were lacking in parentalship.

it's just easier to blame a drug than it is ourselves or the person who died. it is the person, and not the drug. she chose to take it, and if the E did make her depressed afterwards, she should have been well enough informed to know that E does cause a little bit of depression a few days later.

causing "suicide tuesday" though *shrugs*...you don't see many people killing themselves coming down off of E, mescaline, or any other PEA for that matter(amphetamines included).

Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: MilkVein]
    #2435992 - 03/15/04 05:33 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

Yeah, I too feel that this is really tragic, just like every other teen suicide that happens all the time. All of them are horrible, and I feel extremely bad for the parents. I do however think it is probably parents like these that have their heads so far up their own asses to ever even realize that their children are having serious problems. I wouldn't care if they just blamed the drug amongst themselves, but they griped enough about this to get an article written about it. I just don't like people spreading around misinformation, especially about something that has the potential to be quite beneficial to many people. I have seen many people overcome whatever they were dealing with after that first good roll.

About that "depression" thing too...I don't understand that at all. The only thing I have ever experienced is a positive afterglow that leaves me thinking about how great everything is. I guess just the fact that you are not feeling absolutely amazing every second after it wears off could make some people down for a little while.

OfflineKAR0LiNAXXXX
Stranger

Loc: UK.
    #2441149 - 03/16/04 08:58 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

maybe the E she took just worsened the depression she already had before, due to her boyfreind breaking up with her.. but i wouldnt of thought the depression would have come after taking only ONE pill.. its taken me a fuck load of them to get any depression the day after taking them !

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: KAR0LiNAXXXX]
    #5820744 - 07/04/06 05:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I have a family history of depression and ecstacy temporarily did bring on hightend bouts of melancholy. This would occur after coming down of course. The symptoms usually lasted approximately a week and gradually eased back into normalcy. Thoughts included contemplation of suicide, feeling hollow and hopless. This is why I quit using the drug. Obviously a wise choice in my case. Our brain chemistries are all different and I'm sure abusing such a "hard" drug could be a contributing factor leading to a suicide although I would never place all the blame on one factor. Life is much more complex and rarely is one factor the sole contributor to an outcome.

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Edited by 76degrees (07/04/06 05:12 PM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #5822466 - 07/05/06 02:24 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> Ecstasy made our girl kill herself

Nope, bad parenting made the girl kill herself. From the Mother, "we had no explanation for Fionnuala dropping out of our lives and no understanding of how something like this could happen." Yep... ignore your child, and when your child dies as a result, blame somebody or something else. I do have sympathy for their loss, but they have no right to blame others.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: Seuss]
    #5822701 - 07/05/06 06:57 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

and you ahve no right to blame the parents since you have no background information other that this small article.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: stefan]
    #5822748 - 07/05/06 07:56 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

uh... i thought it was commonly known that exctasy causes depression afterwards in some poeple. if you take a depressed borderline suicidal person and give them a drug that makes them more depressed...

(fun fact: when i take E i instantly become very calm and super depressed, I sit still for a couple hours waiting for it to wear off, the only thing deeper than my sadness being my internal peace)

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #5822776 - 07/05/06 08:14 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> and you ahve no right to blame the parents

Of course I do. If the parents were doing their job, their child would still be alive. Where were the parents while their child was popping pills? Where were the parents when their child was depressed? Where were the parents when their child killed herself? A parent's job is to protect their children. The parents failed at their job, and their child died as a result. I am not trying to defend the use of MDMA, or any drug, especially by children. However, I won't sit by and watch somebody (the parents) blame a drug rather than accepting responsibility for their own failure.

--------------------

Offlinestefan
work in progress

#5822914 - 07/05/06 09:36 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

If the parents were doing their job, their child would still be alive.

Unfortunately it isn't that simple.

I don't like it that they blame a drug either. As you might know teenagers are very good in hiding/masking their feelings if they want to and do things parents don't like or are unaware of. Even real good parents don't always have a clue. Your statement is definitely wrong.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #5822992 - 07/05/06 10:06 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Fair enough.  We see differently on the subject.  :smile:  (... I would feel the same way if no drug were involved and the parents blamed a boyfriend, floride in the water, or anything else they could think of.)

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

#5823035 - 07/05/06 10:28 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

id feel the same way too if this post wasn't already two years old.

76 degrees check post dates before draggin up dead threads.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: coda]
    #5823487 - 07/05/06 12:44 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

LOL - I didn't think to look at the date seeing as this thread still appears as a headline on the front page of the shroomery.

And Congratulations, you just stooped to the parents level by placing the blame on them when you have no information to support your claim. Duh. Silly rabbit. Let's all point fingers at each other because that will shed light on the truth. Hahah. Not to make lite of this tragic little story. It's a no win situation for everyone.

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: 76degrees]
    #5823612 - 07/05/06 01:21 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Old posts being bumped; lives being destroyed; children having sex in the street and frightening the horses; dogs and cats living together in sin!

I think we should pass some more legislation, so that a tragedies like these never happens again...

Quote:

Homer: Ah, not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm!
Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, honey.
Lisa: By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away!
Homer: Uh-huh, and how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around here, do you?
Homer: (Looks around) Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.

--------------------

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

#5823746 - 07/05/06 02:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/9612231?source=Evening%20Standard

The couple, who have two other children, are now campaigning for more information to be made available about the effects of the drug.

If only this were the truth... we wouldn't have to blame suicide on drugs anymore...

[MEANWHILE, IN REALITY]
The couple, who have two other children, are now campaigning for more propaganda to be made available about the effects of the drug.

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

OfflineAcinaxuz
In SomnisVeritas.

Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #5824901 - 07/05/06 07:11 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Just my two cents...

I can vouche for depression following E, and as a matter of fact know someone who attempted suicide during a come-down. Since this happened anytime my friends decide to roll, a pact to comedown together and with use of weed to lighten the effects. On several occasions they've had as many as 3 people in desolate places emotionally, and simultaneously at that, though they don't have as much of a problem when they smoke on the comedown. The following days can lead to blues, but we also have the "network" to fall back on, by agreeing to telephone contact if someone begins to fall into depressive states.

E is one drug, that while you may not utilize a sitter, there is safety in numbers, I personally wouldn't do it alone (if I did it) because I've seen the risks involved.

The state of emotional well-being before the drug plays a huge part in it's after effects, to which I can also verify. If you do some research into depression as a disease/disorder you'll find that many people who are depressed continue to be so not because help isn't available, but because they either feel too worthless to seek it, don't realize that depression can be treated, or take the "move on" angle and struggle against it. Most people do not seek therapy, nor do they talk to (of all people) family members or people closest to them for various reasons. And anyone who does have that relationship with their family members, or even a sense of normalcy or hell even LIMITED disfunction--I'll envy.

From the quotes by the parents in the article saying she was a good kid, and her boyfriend was from poor culture, my deductive reasoning says her parents held her as a form of pride, and most likely kept high expectations. While this can make the life of said child dispairingly hell, I would not say that these poor parenting skills would be enough to say they killed their child. Granted, they wouldn't be the first place she'd run for advice, but when was the last time you went to your parents to discuss the comedown off of a drug they disapproved of? Or how about depression stemming from the break up of a significant other they thought was bad for you to begin with? Its the parental instinct to protect, thus when your views come to light, they are usually slammed down to a simple "You need to leave them, they just aren't good for you."

Seriously guys, this makes sense. Don't blow this out of the water to advocate the wrong side of the arguement. Drugs come with responsibility--its not the fault of the parents that this girl killed herself--its her own fault for allowing herself to A) be alone in a time of emotional turmoil and B) For not being responsible under the influance of drugs. That's not to say however, her parents won't also blow this out of the water, which it looks like they've done. I'm just merely saying it's our responsibility as people who are familiar with the drug to spread the truth about it--and truth is not defending every side effect and statement and placing blame randomly.

All drugs have side-effects, all drugs have risks, if we're aware of the risk we can develop ways of dealing with them safely...

<3

>>edit<< typo fix >>exit<<

Edited by Acinaxuz (07/06/06 06:14 AM)

OfflineTadpole
Stranger

Re: Ecstasy made our girl kill herself [Re: Acinaxuz]
    #5826280 - 07/06/06 01:13 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Acinaxuz said:
I'm just merely saying it's our responsibility as people who are familiar with the drug to spread the truth about it--and truth is not defending every side effect and statement and placing blame randomly.

Exactly. Thank you!

Offlinestefan
work in progress

#5826548 - 07/06/06 03:53 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Fair enough.  We see differently on the subject.  :smile:  (... I would feel the same way if no drug were involved and the parents blamed a boyfriend, floride in the water, or anything else they could think of.)

indeed :grin:

Parents always blame something, if they're right or not.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale