Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: bury contaminated brf cakes inside. any soil mixture suggestions? [Re: mushpunx]
    #24216355 - 04/03/17 08:12 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for your answers. 

Here we go. 

Ordered syringes 3BM, 3GT (still have 1 of each as reserve) from Spores101.com i felt cheated by the wait time (2-3 weeks), found out it was canada too late. Very shady dealings, i even requested a full refund and then they notified me my order was finally shipped in response. Found them via a thread here saying they were a sponsor and person had a great experience, and shortly after my bad experiences began i became more familiar with shroomery, found the sponsors page and saw they had been removed sometime back. Thread was very old. Noob mistake. Syringes were super clear, i've read i shouldn't be concerned, some vendors add stuff to darken their syringes, etc so i wasn't. I could see some black specks with naked eye but not many. Shook them super well, like a vigorous 1 minute straight each, i was worried.

Built a SAB. Followed tek, wasn't going to cut the top and do seran wrap, but once it was built it was obvious an optimum viewing angle required it. One solid sheet secured with duck tape firmly all around. No gloves, open holes. Kinda wish the holes were smaller now. Rubbermaid clear storage bin, 66qt if i recall.

Followed PF Tek added tablespoon of gypsum to the 5 1/2 pint jar recipe, jars were filled. I noticed it came out to be more like 4 jars, it packs itself, beautifully i might add, so i didn't worry much about that being an issue. I"ve seen that to be common.

wiped top 1/2" and sealing edge, put lid with (4) 1/8" holes on top, **possible mistake #1 ->** then i secured the lids tightly then covered with foil, extending 2" or more down sides. formed it as tight to sides as i could.

Put in pc for 60min at 15psi, let cool on its own, pulled out and allowed to cool to room temp ~3 hours or so.

**possible mistake #2** --> on the first two batches i left the foil on the jars after removing them and fear condensation from foil dripped into dry verm layer.  During my breaks while doing all these steps i was reading as much as i could, and on 3rd batch i read an account that specified to remove foil, so i did from then out.

**possible mistake #3** first time in a SAB, first time innocing, first time using syringes, 'twas a clumsy endeavor. I sprayed and wiped down the inside of SAB and underside of lid, with a mister with 70% iso, wiping with a 70%iso soaked paper towel. loaded the jars, took syringes out of packages, wiped them down, put them inside (leaving tips in sterile packing and not attached). Misted more 70% iso all on top of the stuff i just placed in SAB, misted the air all around the area heavily, closed SAB, left room for 2 minutes to clean up.

Returned with elbow length Mr Clean badass rubber gloves, misted 70% (one thread led me to believe it was superior to 91% for this somehow?) on my hands rubbed carefully getting grooves and crevices, let air dry, moved my hands inside slowly(air currents), opened syringe, first few batches were flame sterilized by BIC lighter outside SAB and now that i'm thinking about it **mistake** they didn't get cherry red every time, the popping and boiling at first made me hesitate, i was concerned of boiling the plastic. I'd say 3rd batch (of8 jars at a time, so end of Blue Meanies/beginning of Golden Teachers) i had the propane torch outside the SAB on real low (pointing away from SAB for hot air currents) and i was getting outer 1/2 of needle cherry red, neglecting inner half of needle(plastic side).

Flame sterilized between jars, but forgot once or twice on the early batches. First 2 batches of 8 were all Blue Meanie, and thats where the early mistakes were all made. 8/16 blue meanie have jungle green mold, one of those is right where dry verm layer meets brf cake, so i'm assuming wet verm maybe did that one in? other 7 BM are green lower than the needle touched during innoc, but in line with the innoc holes. 1 / 17 Golden Teacher has jungle green, and 1 of my 5 shiitake jars has jungle green dust. Shiitake was done after GT, I was fluid with my SAB etiquette by then.

So i can assume most of the BM was from first time clumsiness & mistakes but that will leave 1-2 jars of each that got trich/pennicillium.

But it seems i was really clean right? Would the 1 or 2 jars each that got contaminated within 8 days of colonizing be acceptable contam rate?

Is it really possible that me not getting the tip red hot, but still getting it hot, is the sole reason for an extra 7 jars (a full 50%) of BM getting green mold?

man that took forever hahaha thanks to whoever reads this

Edited by Humble Newcomer (04/04/17 08:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHumble Newcomer
Diddler de niños
I'm a teapot

Re: bury contaminated brf cakes inside. any soil mixture suggestions? [Re: Humble Newcomer]
    #24217398 - 04/04/17 09:54 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Nevermind - What was vague is now so obvious. I put all the contammed jars together outside to finish colonizing and during inspection this morning ALL of the contaminated jars have huge green areas bordering the verm layer, and the BM jars have more condensation on the inside than the GT's. 

I am concluding that since i left the foil on for the cool down time, 100% of the first two batches were ruined with wet dry verm layer, which encouraged contam growth at the border of the two materials.

That, plus i now know i can safely get the tip of the needle cherry red, i think my problems will be solved.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale