Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

First Bulk Rye/Wheat Monotub-Agar
    #24216558 - 04/03/17 09:55 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Bulk  Grain B+ Indoor Grow
This is my first post so work with me here, but I'm very excited to be joining the community! Most likely I'll just update at pivotal points or unless I need advice on a problem. To start off it is an indoor grow and for the moment being it is confined to a closet space. Once the monotubs begin it will be expanded into a full bedroom. Also there are some agar plates started.

This is only the first attempt doing this solo. A lot of these ideas are just random inspiration. If you have any recommendations please post below. If you have any formatting recommendations please message me.

Planning/Building the Closet
Started in a 64 inch x 54 inch closet. Sealed off the incoming air duct so that cold air wouldn't constantly be blown into the room. The entire room is covered in 3.5 mm Moisture Barrier from any local hardware store. (I will refer to MB as moisture barrier for future reference) Generally, it is used to stop moisture from transferring through the ground under your house.

After the MB was installed on the closet walls. You'll also notice a rack that goes along two walls in which I place jars and agar Petri dishes.

I constantly maintain 76-80 degrees in the closet grow.. Humidity is a constant battle for the closet grow. The humidity can vary from 60-95% relative humidity(RH) generally hanging onto the lower end. I have a humidifier in there but just recently noticed it only goes to 50% humidity. As a solution a 66 quart tub was filled with perlite. The perlite was filled with water about half way up the perlite. Mixed together and a box fan was placed on top of the perlite box to suck the moisture out the box and into the air. Holes were cut in the side and another fan blows air in to help maintain humidity.

Final Closet Design
The door covered in 3.5 mm MB and the door handle is cut out.

The basic setup looking directly in. The closet curves to the left a few feet. You can also see the perlite box with the fans. Two CFL lights. It's been proven by RR that mycelium have benefit from it.

Picture of the floor in the closet. Covered of course, with perlite box, Holmes heater, Holmes fan, box fan, humidifier, 2 lamps.

Quart jars full of Rye Grain (green dot means starting to colonize)

Pint jars full of Wheat and humidity/temp.

How I track humidity and temp. Shows the high and low for the day. It's very helpful.

Clock with time, date, and temp for a second read to confirm temp.

All attempts to maintain RH have failed. I have even completely sealed off the floor, walls, ceilings, and door with the 3.5 mm MB. My idea is to go buy a cool mist humidifier. I'm pretty sure you need 5 feet clearance if I read that right on HippieChick's post. Maybe it was RR's post somewhere I'm not sure.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Jar Design
A mixture of wide-mouthed(WM) Mason jars and WM quart/ regular mouth quart jars.
There are four different options across the jars. Hopefully through this experimentation and observation of mycelium growth I'll be able to justify one over the other. Yes, I understand someone might already know the answer to this. But its just doing this for shits and giggles. :cuteshit:  :publicfart:

Option 1: For this one drill (2) 1/2 inch holes through the metal lid, flipped it upside down and placed a synthetic filter disk. In the second hole placed a self-healing injection port. All of this was obtained from a local fungi store.

Option 2: The only difference from option one is that it only has one 1/2 inch hole, in which polyfil(polyester fibers) is stuffed through the hole. Used the polyfil hole for both inoculation and air exchange.

Option 3: Was so thankful to pick these guys up at the store. Plastic mason lid jars. They are all one piece, survive the PC, are way easier to drill holes in(once you cut yourself with a metal lid you'll understand), and are insanely cheap. Paid roughly $3 for an entire sleeve of 12.

photos will be up when Grain-to-grain(g2g) is done

Option 4: This was more of an attempt on someone else's method. Drilled one 1/2 inch hole and a 3/8 inch hole for the High Heat RTV Silicone. The silicone is used as a self-healing injection port. The other 1/2 inch hole is stuffed with polyfil for air exchange.

Spores: For sure going to make a liquid culture as soon as this harvest is done as well as from my isolate. The hope is to procure rhizomorphic mycelium hopefully after a few cycles.Code:

The Grains
All of the pint jars are filled with Winter Wheat acquired from a local grocery store.

Secondly, we have 9 quart jars filled with Rye Berries aquired from a hydroponics shop.

All of the Rye Berries were soaked for 24 hours in water mixed with gypsum. The Wheat Berries were the exact same process but without gypsum. The grains were then boiled in my PC without a top for 10 minutes. Air dried on paper towels for approximately 1 hour before being placed in quart jars. Covered in foil then PC'd at 15 psi for 90 minutes.

Results:

Closeup of jars full of grain:

Monotub Design
So far the plan is to use the 10 pint jars to make roughly three 66 quart tubs with two lasagna trays in each. Then use the 9 quart jars to make another 4 tubs and another tub with only 1 tray.

Agar Petri Dishes
10 grams of powdered agar, PC'd then poured onto 12 Petri dishes. Most have not been inoculated. There wasn't enough spores to do them all along with the 19 jars. The first photo is my best poured Petri dish. Although there was accidentally an excessive amount of spores dropped through a spore syringe. Growth spots may be all over.

This is the same Petri dish on April 3rd at noon.

Enlarged mycelium, same time as last picture. April 3rd noon.

April 4th at noon, little growth in the last 24 hours

Thanks for reading! Post suggestions and comments below!

UPDATE:

Golden Teacher spore print just arrived. Figured syringes are not worth it unless I make them.

Supplies:

-Sterilized scapel

-10 cc syringes sterilized, scalpel sterilized, needles sterilized

-Mason jars with grain ready to inoculate

On the left we have 3 agar jars with polyfil and selfhealing injection ports.
Then we have a bunch of quart jars of WBS (Soaked 20 hours and used Str0be's WBS Tek) and there is a mason jar filled with sterilized distilled water with a self healing injection port. This allows me to have sterile water for syringes. I can do the whole process in a SAB only opening all sterile supplies in the SAB reducing contamination. I know the boil method but I've always done this because it seemed to have less contamination.

There's 2 pint jars with a simple PF Tek so that I can make a slurry. Gonna make another 20 PF jars. I have never tried a slurry but it seems so fast at colonizing.

Last but not least I have a bunch of quart rye jars that were sterilized a week ago, never took off the foil, and plastic wrapped to help before placing in the fridge.

Spawn Bag's

I bought these spawn bags although I've never tried it. I thought they were pre-sealable I guess not. My worry was that if I don't seal them prior to PC I have to remove them after then seal which gives opportunity for contamination. I don't have a flow good at the moment. I will soon tho.

The large bags I got:

After I Have PC'D them for 20 min before realizing they were not pre-sealable.

So... I obviously did that wrong. I also overcooked 50 lbs of WBS, that was a lot of work wasted as well as time. Didn't wanna even mess with busted kernels tho. It was getting kinda mushy. So far I might just stick to rye/wheat unless this WBS ends up colonizing at some phenomenal rate. Can't wait for my PF Tek slurry.

I really need advice on the bags. How to cook them, will the bird seed expand, will it contaminate, and if anyone has a agar slurry Tek link that would really help. Or if anyone has advice about slurry.

-TrippyLivin

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Check out my indoor B+ and Golden Teacher Indoor Bulk Grow!
Adding AA+ Albino Cubensis,  Corumba Brazil Cubensis, Mazatapec Cubensis, and Texas PE6 Cubensis

Starting Greenhouse Grow Bulk

Edited by TrippyLivin (04/10/17 11:15 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Bulk Rye/Wheat Monotub-Agar [Re: TrippyLivin] * 2
    #24216580 - 04/03/17 10:15 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

If you're going to be growing in tubs you don't need any of that really, the RH of the room won't make any difference.

Here are some photos that were saved on my phone from the last year or so of stacked tubs- see I just stack mine wherever I have room and keep lights behind them.

Room temp is usually just fine as well unless your house is especially cold - your temps are fine for fruiting but kinda high for colonization of spawn

So don't worry about the RH of the room at all.

The other option besides tubs are green houses but I like tubs better

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

Re: First Bulk Rye/Wheat Monotub-Agar [Re: mushpunx]
    #24216616 - 04/03/17 10:29 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

So your suggestion would be to drop the humidity all together for coloization? Is the temp not important either? A lot of my old notes are outdated info. Also any thoughts on when to shake during colonization?

The RH is only for incubation. That closet is purely for colonization once it's in the montubs I'll move it into a 12 x 12 bedroom. I can completely fill it with tubs as well as a bathroom.  I know once it's in the tubs I'll do 60/40 coir-verm tek. What were you using in yours?

The temp in the monotub room will be 70-72 and humidity may be low since I'm in the mountains. Not sure if altitude makes a difference.

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Adding AA+ Albino Cubensis,  Corumba Brazil Cubensis, Mazatapec Cubensis, and Texas PE6 Cubensis

Edited by TrippyLivin (04/03/17 10:30 PM)

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: First Bulk Rye/Wheat Monotub-Agar [Re: TrippyLivin]
    #24216658 - 04/03/17 11:01 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TrippyLivin said:
The entire room is covered in 3.5 mm Moisture Barrier from any local hardware store. (I will refer to MB as moisture barrier for future reference) Generally, it is used to stop moisture from transferring through the ground under your house.

After the MB was installed on the closet walls. You'll also notice a rack that goes along two walls in which I place jars and agar Petri dishes.

I constantly maintain 76-80 degrees in the closet grow.. Humidity is a constant battle for the closet grow. The humidity can vary from 60-95% relative humidity(RH) generally hanging onto the lower end. I have a humidifier in there but just recently noticed it only goes to 50% humidity. As a solution a 66 quart tub was filled with perlite. The perlite was filled with water about half way up the perlite. Mixed together and a box fan was placed on top of the perlite box to suck the moisture out the box and into the air. Holes were cut in the side and another fan blows air in to help maintain humidity.

Room humidity doesn't matter to your colonizing jars. It minimally matters to your monotubs when you're fruiting. Any normal home humidity is fine for colonization. Sorry to tell you this, but get rid of the humidifier, fan, and perlite.

In terms of temperature, 76-80 is acceptable, but nowadays we usually consider this a bit warm for cubes. Room temperature is thought to be better. If you already have the area set up to manage temperature, I would aim for 70-75 for all stages of the project.

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

Re: First Bulk Rye/Wheat Monotub-Agar [Re: freespeech]
    #24217438 - 04/04/17 10:13 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Will this work for storing sterilized rye berries in mason jars. The air exchange for all of them is polyfil but I also Saran wrapped the whole box and left the foil on the mason jars after 90 min 15 psi. Any suggestions or should I of replaced the foil? I figured leaving it would reduce contamination. Btw it's in my fridge if you can't tell. Figured that would help till I do g2g

Also is it normal for my mycelium to look so different? There's o ne quart of Rye and one pint of Wheat that are doing better than the rest, colonization wise I mean.

This is the quart jar and it just looks different than im use to. Gas exchange as well as inoculation were done through the polyfil with a SAB. Is this contamination?

This is the pint jar of Wheat that has synthetic filter disk and a self healing injection port. Inoculated in SAB.

Update On The Agar
Little growth in the last 24 hours

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

#24221486 - 04/05/17 08:25 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Bump

Sorry guys. I need an answer on those two jars. All of my rye look kinda like that and all my Wheat look like that one in the pic above.

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24221525 - 04/05/17 08:45 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

The pint with the wheat looks fine, the others the myc looks really weak and wispy, is that just after germination? Do they still look like that?

You should use sterilized grain jars as soon as you can, its not recommended to keep them longer than a few days

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

#24221540 - 04/05/17 08:52 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Idk man. I inoculated them at different times in a SAB but with the same syringe...I used very little spores in each. Yes it still looks like that. That was 24 hours ago

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Edited by TrippyLivin (04/05/17 09:14 PM)

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

#24232235 - 04/10/17 11:05 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

UPDATE:

Golden Teacher spore print just arrived. Figured syringes are not worth it unless I make them.

Supplies:

-Sterilized scapel

-10 cc syringes sterilized, scalpel sterilized, needles sterilized

-Mason jars with grain ready to inoculate

On the left we have 3 agar jars with polyfil and selfhealing injection ports.
Then we have a bunch of quart jars of WBS (Soaked 20 hours and used Str0be's WBS Tek) and there is a mason jar filled with sterilized distilled water with a self healing injection port. This allows me to have sterile water for syringes. I can do the whole process in a SAB only opening all sterile supplies in the SAB reducing contamination. I know the boil method but I've always done this because it seemed to have less contamination.

There's 2 pint jars with a simple PF Tek so that I can make a slurry. Gonna make another 20 PF jars. I have never tried a slurry but it seems so fast at colonizing.

Last but not least I have a bunch of quart rye jars that were sterilized a week ago, never took off the foil, and plastic wrapped to help before placing in the fridge.

Spawn Bag's

I bought these spawn bags although I've never tried it. I thought they were pre-sealable I guess not. My worry was that if I don't seal them prior to PC I have to remove them after then seal which gives opportunity for contamination. I don't have a flow good at the moment. I will soon tho.

The large bags I got:

After I Have PC'D them for 20 min before realizing they were not pre-sealable.

So... I obviously did that wrong. I also overcooked 50 lbs of WBS, that was a lot of work wasted as well as time. Didn't wanna even mess with busted kernels tho. It was getting kinda mushy. So far I might just stick to rye/wheat unless this WBS ends up colonizing at some phenomenal rate. Can't wait for my PF Tek slurry.

I really need advice on the bags. How to cook them, will the bird seed expand, will it contaminate, and if anyone has a agar slurry Tek link that would really help. Or if anyone has advice about agar slurry

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24232279 - 04/10/17 11:35 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Those bags are sealable, you need to use an impulse sealer.

You don't need to pre seal them during PC cycle. After you load them you take tyvek sleeves and slide one into the bag between the gussets , and then accordian fold it. After a PC cycle (at least 3 hours) you let the PC cool and sit overnight.

The bags come out sealed tight with almost like a vacuum seal. They can be moved around in open air this way.

Watch the Sawdust sections of Letsgrowmushrooms (mushroomvideos.com), it'll teach you how to use spawn bags properly.

It is best to inoculate large spawn bags via G2G transfer, I put 1 quart into a 4 quart spawn bag so I end up with 5 quart bags to spawn my tubs with.

I see you have injection ports on your agar jars. I hope you are making transfers with a flame sterilized scalpel until you have a clean culture instead of just inoculating with spores the hole and letting it colonize.

I would stay away from the slurry teks. If by agar slurry you mean agar blended up in water to use as a liquid culture, that is different that's fine if you have the skills to pull it off.

You need an Eberbach style blender (people make homemade ones with blender parts and mason jars.
The blender container gets sterilized with water in it, an agar wedge dropped in and blended for a few seconds. That's it

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

#24233952 - 04/11/17 02:40 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Doing my first monotub in the next 2 days. One jar is way ahead so I'm a go ahead and Bulk substrate it with 60/40 Verm-coco Tek. I'll do a write up as I do it so y'all can follow along and critique me. Anywho my only question at the time is do I seal the lid off while it's colonizing? My tub lid is very loose. I think it's a sterilIte 64 qt

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24234012 - 04/11/17 04:15 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

mush,

I'm going to use bags soon for edible grows. Is sealing necessary? I'm planning on zip-tying mine after inoculating.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Bulk Rye/Wheat Monotub-Agar [Re: stareatclouds]
    #24234136 - 04/11/17 07:08 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

No not necessary. I own a good impulse sealer but I zip tie most of the time. You fold, twist and zip tie.

You can get an impulse sealer cheap on eBay sometimes though, if you look.

I got mine (under the table in my Sig) for like 15$ free shipping and it works perfect, came with spare parts. I have no idea what the difference between this and the ones sold on Cultivation sites for 150-200$.

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

#24236655 - 04/12/17 06:28 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

So now it's hurry up and wait. There's 20  B+ and maybe 40 golden teacher jars. Should be knocking up another 100. 25 Texas PE6, 25 mazatapec, 25 Corumba, and 25 AA PlusAlbino. I'll keep y'all updated. Also started 3 half pint liquid cultures and 5 agar all with golden teacher. I'll work on isolating all strains as the months go on.

Here's a pic of current colonizing jars. A lot of them were just shaken. The ones in the front are the newest.

Also I decided to give something a test. I pasteurized 60/40 Verm and coco for 3 hours. Then filled vacuum sealed bags to maintain field capacity. Anyone got any experience? I remember reading one of hippiechicks posts where she said she does it all the time.

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24236665 - 04/12/17 06:34 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I don't usually keep pasteurized substrate sitting around but it should be fine for a while yes. What kind of substrate is it?

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

#24236681 - 04/12/17 06:50 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

bulk verm and coco 60/40 unless you have a better recommendation. Almost went with horse poo but with where I currently live till the end of next month would be very hard to avoid the smell. Lol even getting 18 pound vermiculite bags up to my place was sketch AF. Had to wait till 3 am lol

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
    #24236714 - 04/12/17 07:05 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I keep it in the fridge.
Fresssshhhh

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24236751 - 04/12/17 07:27 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TrippyLivin said:
bulk verm and coco 60/40 unless you have a better recommendation. Almost went with horse poo but with where I currently live till the end of next month would be very hard to avoid the smell. Lol even getting 18 pound vermiculite bags up to my place was sketch AF. Had to wait till 3 am lol

I thought it might be coir that's why I asked
I grow exclusively on Coir/Verm, more and more people are too there isn't much point to Hpoo for cubes unless you have a good free source, still even then you gotta pasteurize it all

You don't need to pasteurize coir, no need to. You can just mix it with cold water and do clean grows on it but its better to heat treat coir because its easier for the myc to digest.

Just prep your coir in buckets, break up 1 brick, 2-3 quarts verm, handful gypsum and 3-4 quarts boiling water (to field capacity. After it's mixed if its too wet add dry verm, too dry add water etc) cap and give a stir once in a while. Its ready when its cool

It wont contaminate. I make it as I need it , 1 brick per tub

No need to pasteurize

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflineTrippyLivin
TrippyLivin
Male

#24236801 - 04/12/17 07:56 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmm I have access to aged manure from a Craig's list as but I'll stick with coco/verm. And I'm slightly confused, you said pasturizing wasn't necessary for it but you seem to be doing the same method. Aye you just not sealing it with 5 gallon buckets?

BTW, great resource for 3 1/2 gallon buckets is a bakery at any local grocery/Walmart. They receive their icing in them so they are always giving them out for free. In one day I went to 15 places getting anywhere from 2-8 buckets with lids from each. Also all of them have a silicone seal in the lid. Plus they make a great substitute if you need to grow some plants indoor! :cool:

Mush, I feel as if I may asked this on my other forum but I didn't see it. Do I need to seal the top of a monotub off while it's colonizing? The lid I mean.

--------------------
Happy trippin!

-TrippyLivin

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
    #24236879 - 04/12/17 08:28 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yes. Just need a small filter for GE

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck