Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Microscope, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineScourge
The Dr.
Loc: Near flint Michgan, USA
a true cultivation challenge
    #2421284 - 03/12/04 12:32 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I need advice on this one. I have done a lot of culture work in the past. I always start spores on agar, isolate pure strain, spawn grain, grain to grain for 3 generations. then from there i case or spawn to bulk. I just recently started seperating monokariotic collonies and crossing them trying to find better genetics. Has anyone done this? If so i'ld like to know of any results. So far i have only crossed collonies droped from the same print. 'm gana start mating them with collonies germinated from mushrooms grown on a seperite isolates. would anyone sugest mating collonies of differing PC sub-strains or would staying in the same sub-stain be advisable (example B+xB+ Vs. B+xEQ)? or Cope Cyan sub-stains for that matter. I'm thinking azures would take an excessivly long time to do this, having to relly on seasonal changes and all. I'ld like anyone's imput that has any info on the subject.

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grow in Honor and Strength."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: a true cultivation challenge [Re: Scourge]
    #2423630 - 03/12/04 01:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What method do you use to cross the mono's?

According to Stamets, in commercial cultivation, the crossing of two strains rarely produces a hybrid strain that outperforms the parents. You may have to try several hundred crosses before you get a better fruiting hybrid.

I personally would love to see someone crossing different strains, if the person was doing it right.

I wouldn't worry about crossing different species. Research has already been carried out in an attempt to mate different species, although as the term species implies, they will not mate across species boundaries. Read the protoplast fusion thread in this same forum for info on how to cross different species.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineScourge
The Dr.
Loc: Near flint Michgan, USA
Re: a true cultivation challenge [Re: Joshua]
    #2435682 - 03/15/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I realy new at crossing mono's. I plan to just take 2 and trasfer them to the same dish, and see if they do it.

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grow in Honor and Strength."

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2441921 - 03/17/04 03:28 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

To verify that this is what you accomplished you would have to have had verified that you were crossing single monokaryons by microscopy, otherwise you were/are throwing dice which are loaded against you.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2442725 - 03/17/04 11:35 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quick question; How are you determining that growth is indeed from single spores? IMO spore dilution techniques are compromised by the tendency of spores to stick to each other. The result is a significant likelihood of 'dikaryotic' growth from a single germination point, unless there is some check. . .microscopy? I don't know a lot about this, perhaps just a visual glance is sufficient to say that it's a monokaryon? I toyed with the idea of adding tween or somesuch to spore diluents to help separate spores.

Anonymous

#2442896 - 03/17/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You definetly need a microscope to at least view the dilute spore solution. A very light syringe, dropped at 1/22 ml per drop, still can contain upwards of 100 spores. As long as they are not clumping, you should be fine. Adding some soap, or tween will definetly assist in keeping the spores seperate.

As long as you can verify that a single spore is responsible for the mycelium you are set.

Just try and isolate as many as you can(at least 10) from each strain you want to cross. Keep track of what you got and what you cross VERY WELL.

Ignore Stametes statement. Every other source I have read does not agree. Traits can be passed from one strain to another.

Mating within a Strain( same print) will enable you to determine which monokaryons mated with which produce the best results. This will allow you to find the best.

Mating between strains can lead to one strain possessing traits of another.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Microscope, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology