Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: The meaning of life [Re: Zanthius] * 1
    #24213616 - 04/02/17 04:29 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

"being interested" is key for movements of the intellect

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblingbling
what you chicken stew?

#24213869 - 04/02/17 06:44 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

If the meaning of life is growth, intellectual or otherwise, then how do you explain people who find the most profound meaning in asceticism, selfimolation, even suicide? It seems to me that meaning is often gained by giving yourself up to something bigger than yourself, and not necessarily by making yourself bigger, which what you are implying.

--------------------
Kupo said:
let's fuel the robots with psilocybin.

cez said:
everyone should smoke dmt for religion.

dustinthewind13 said:
euthanasia and prostitution should be legal and located in the same building.

White Beard said:
if you see the buddha on the road, rape him, then kill him. then rape him again.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: The meaning of life [Re: blingbling]
    #24213881 - 04/02/17 06:48 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Bigger is not better! ~ Anne O. Rexic

--------------------

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The meaning of life [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #24214044 - 04/02/17 08:06 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

gee whizz...
nobody knows how to use a dictionary?
where is Forest Gump when we need him?
or Sudly?

"Life is a characteristic distinguishing physical entities having biological processes, such as signaling and self-sustaining processes, from those that do not, either because such functions have ceased, or because they never had such functions and are classified as inanimate. Various forms of life exist, such as plants, animals, fungi, protists, archaea, and bacteria."

anyway apparent "problem" seems solved

then again if meaning is really necessary and one can't find it,
suicide is always a handy option

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

Re: The meaning of life [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #24214243 - 04/02/17 10:02 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Jokeshopbeard said:
Quote:

redgreenvines said:
the idea of emotional or intellectual growth being delegated to a drug seems out of whack to me.

Absolutely.

Drugs and nervous systems and the electromagnetic interactions of nerve fibres makes sense to me. I don't think it's something that happens overnight at all, but something that is likely to happen if habituation through use of a drug occurs.

Quote:

Habituation usually refers to a reduction in innate behaviours, rather than behaviours developed during conditioning in which the process is termed "extinction". A progressive decline of a behavior in a habituation procedure may also reflect nonspecific effects such as fatigue, which must be ruled out when the interest is in habituation as a learning process

--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.

InvisibleZanthius
Mean Alien
Male

Re: The meaning of life [Re: blingbling] * 1
    #24214339 - 04/02/17 11:20 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

blingbling said:
If the meaning of life is growth, intellectual or otherwise, then how do you explain people who find the most profound meaning in asceticism, selfimolation, even suicide? It seems to me that meaning is often gained by giving yourself up to something bigger than yourself, and not necessarily by making yourself bigger, which what you are implying.

Well, I would argue that if you are giving yourself up to something bigger than yourself, the best way to serve that bigger thing might very well be through self-growth. If you are an environmentalist, and have given your life up to save/benefit the environment, then it seems somewhat essential with intellectual growth to understand more about the environment. Those who understand most about the environment might very well be those who are most able to serve the environment. Similarly, if you have given your life up to save/benefit society, then it seems somewhat essential with intellectual growth to understand more about society. Those who understand most about society, might very well be those that are most able to serve society.

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

Re: The meaning of life [Re: Zanthius]
    #24214365 - 04/02/17 11:55 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

R'amen Bruddah.

I'd say that to a level, we can make our own luck.

--------------------

Edited by sudly (04/03/17 12:02 AM)

Offlineblingbling
what you chicken stew?

#24214380 - 04/03/17 12:13 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with your sentiments, but growth and meaning are not mutually exclusive. That is an empirical fact. There have been many people throughout history who believed that the most meaningful activity one can engage in is starving yourself to death. The religion of Jainism is basically set up around this principle. Similarly, modern forms of Islam are oriented around martyrdom in defence of the faith. There are the Japanese kamakazi pilots of WW2, the bezerkers of ancient Viking cults etc. The list is nearly inexhaustible.

--------------------
Kupo said:

cez said:

dustinthewind13 said:

White Beard said:
if you see the buddha on the road, rape him, then kill him. then rape him again.

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

Re: The meaning of life [Re: blingbling]
    #24214497 - 04/03/17 03:03 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Similarly, modern forms of Islam are oriented around martyrdom in defence of the faith.

Kekeke, they shouldn't be doing martyrdom, as they are but the acts of an individualised interpretation.

Quote:

The Quran makes it clear that human life is sacred. Life cannot be taken without justification and the right to life is inherent in the tenants of Islam. Life itself is a gift from the Creator that we are obliged to care for. Suicide out of despair of God’s mercy or worldly problems is strictly forbidden. Prophet Muhammad, may God praise him, said: Whoever kills himself with something in this world will be punished with it on the Day of Resurrection

The bible supports abortion too but hey, it's not like anyone reads that shit anyway.

Quote:

Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”— here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”

--------------------

InvisibleZanthius
Mean Alien
Male

Re: The meaning of life [Re: blingbling] * 1
    #24214565 - 04/03/17 04:56 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

blingbling said:
I agree with your sentiments, but growth and meaning are not mutually exclusive. That is an empirical fact. There have been many people throughout history who believed that the most meaningful activity one can engage in is starving yourself to death. The religion of Jainism is basically set up around this principle. Similarly, modern forms of Islam are oriented around martyrdom in defence of the faith. There are the Japanese kamakazi pilots of WW2, the bezerkers of ancient Viking cults etc. The list is nearly inexhaustible.

Seems to me like suicides and self-destructive behavior is caused mainly by a lack of meaning/purpose.

Offlineblingbling
what you chicken stew?

#24214569 - 04/03/17 05:02 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah maybe, but it is a lack of meaning that is filled up by a religion or ideology which allows one to give their life away because the purpose of their life doesn't lye in living necessarily, but in serving. Whether that be serving the ultimate creative force of the universe or the march of history, it still gives purpose to flesh. And yes, the worst kinds of self destruction usually take this form.

--------------------
Kupo said:

cez said:

dustinthewind13 said:

White Beard said:

Offlineblingbling
what you chicken stew?

Re: The meaning of life [Re: sudly] * 1
    #24214573 - 04/03/17 05:04 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, Islamists really twist the words of the Quran for their own purposes, but if you create enough desperation then people will do crazy things.

--------------------
Kupo said:

cez said:

dustinthewind13 said:

White Beard said:

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
    #24214601 - 04/03/17 05:46 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

The true and utter lack of meaning is where my personal freedom has been found.

Does a tree have a meaning? Is that even a valid question.
Does a bird?
Do we?

Would there be an answer if we never asked the question?

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #24215186 - 04/03/17 12:19 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I just jump in and place the (refined) statement I always place about 'meaning of life'.

Broken down, it's to prolong/sustain individual purpose (which is a reflection of collective purpose) (as long as possible).

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#24215359 - 04/03/17 01:25 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know about purpose, or intellectual curiosity -- which should be an important though not ultimate goal. To me, the meaning of existence is existing itself.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

InvisibleKurt
Thinker, blinker, writer, typer.

Re: The meaning of life [Re: pineninja]
    #24215407 - 04/03/17 01:45 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Meaning can have various phenomenal "layers". This leads me to pluralism usually.

An old man twitching his toes asleep can't seem to hear his doorbell ring, when I come...

The girl who boards her horses next door...

I don't know either of them, or their experiences... they occur at the same moment and touch. One moment sometimes helps me come to another.

Also...

Personal goals are in and of the world. Society is often holding our meanings together on this same plane, in a way that hopefully allows for freedoms and well as basic dignities.

So if there is meaning in all this, there are lots of people digging and dipping into it, in the world, to different amounts. Sometimes it is just getting up and scratching at the surface, and sometimes we can dig deep. Ever have a time in life, when life pools around you? You probably found something meaningful. But then, you probably also know how in other moments, like lots of people, you look out and away from meaning, to be filled, for meaning, in the long view.

What is that sort of meaning? Broader horizons? Some people may not work for anything in their lives, and seem to have it given to them just for being born, and some may work at something every day but will not have any luck at all. If there is meaning to this, it is the kind that just occurs and afterwords you might think, not any general meaning I guess.

Any direction ascribed to life, of arrows or fingers pointing out to something through life, and the world will have to go in all the cardinal directions, and not only that, but overhead and below if this is to be at all convincing as meaning. And that is only a symbolic gesture itself too. Nearly everyone lives by the sun coming up or going down, even though the sun doesn't really rise or set. It just disappears from view. Or it is just a place where things, and planes of reality meet, and we go on our way reflecting that, experiencing all the world as the centers of things, like we are the compass of the map... But what map?

Meaning is layered in these horizons, and submerged layers, in moments themselves. We can symbolize temporal moments in space; or give it directions. People have the directions, as the conformance of meaning in "forward" "to and from" with meaning. This becomes the limit to direction/directions to life. Are there really directions to how to how we spend our time?

We are existing;
Looking to, and looking away...
Maybe to an other day?
Towards a rising and setting,
Meaning in its own rhythm and ways.

Edited by Kurt (04/03/17 02:17 PM)

InvisibleKurt
Thinker, blinker, writer, typer.

Re: The meaning of life [Re: Kurt]
    #24215506 - 04/03/17 02:29 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Or just a thought... Maybe meaning is just the phenomenal sight of a passing thought and moment.

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

Re: The meaning of life [Re: Kurt]
    #24215782 - 04/03/17 04:01 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

This means something to me.  :teacher: :sonar:  :zoom:  :jellyfish:  :mantis:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: The meaning of life [Re: sudly]
    #24216463 - 04/03/17 08:55 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

did we ever confuse the meaning of life with the purpose of life?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

Re: The meaning of life [Re: redgreenvines]
    #24216482 - 04/03/17 09:06 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I thought we found our own purpose, intent and value in life by defining what is meaningful in our own lives, at least that's what I try to do.

A sustainable policy so to say :shrug:

Quote:

A range of environmental policies exist to minimise the impact of government operations on the environment. ... These objectives are outlined in our comprehensive Environmental Sustainability Policy, which also includes accountabilities and actions to drive performance.

--------------------

Edited by sudly (04/03/17 09:18 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom