Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

This whole linux thing
    #2421075 - 03/11/04 11:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Does anyone know anyone who's primary occupation is software development, and they do it for open source software including Linux, and they get paid well for it?

How'd they do that?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: This whole linux thing [Re: djfrog]
    #2421195 - 03/12/04 12:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

By being very anti-social and sitting in a box with a computer 24:7  :rolleyes:

Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Loc: SE Michigan
    #2421746 - 03/12/04 02:04 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have not heard of anyone who writes for open source getting paid for their work. Usually they have day jobs where they write code all day and get compensated well for it, then in their free time they write for the open source. Most of the open source programs are usually a collective effort which will have a number of people working on it so it gets done faster.

People don't want other people to get high, because if you get high, you might see the falsity of the fabric of the society we live in.

-Ken Kesey

Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: This whole linux thing [Re: Drummer]
    #2421915 - 03/12/04 03:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

open source people usually get a decent amount of donations...at least enough for equipment and things like that...usually they just do it because they like doing it. Ive done some programing in my life and loved it...that was in school tho and i really wouldent do it on my spare time.

i hate being a slave to microsoft..the only reason i dont use linux exlusivly is because all the games i play are on windows...although when i get some money here i want to get a IBM thinkpad x40 and run linux on it exclusivly so i can sit on my couch and watch TV while posting on the shroomery through my wireless network :smile:

i always use open source whenever possible. Its usually i community effort...someone comes up witht he origional concept and releases the program and then the community of people that use it go in a fix bugs and things like that so its constantly being updated way fater than ny corperate shit could ever hope for.

and this whole sco vs. ibm thing is bullshit too. linux has been open source forever and now they clain that they used there code that was copyrighted or some bullshit....fuck htat..just a dirty company trying to make money off some bullshit. And now there trying to go after end users and suing them for using linux...thats fucked up. It will never fly tho. Noone is really worried about it. If you go to scos site they have a place that says you should pay them if you use linuz and gives you a place to pay...BULLSHIT!

its also recently been leaked from someone inside the company that Microsoft is the main finacial supporter of this whole thing. If that isnt fucked up i dont know what is.

but its all good...linux will stay. But if for some total bullshit goes down we will always have our unix, BSD, slackware, ect.

btw you dont have to be anti-social to be a geek :smile:
im a geek...although i dont have the look i do have the interests.

Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2422718 - 03/12/04 07:21 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The people I know who have done open-source development didn't really mean to, but it just happened. For example, a friend of mine who does database design, network admin, and all that sorta shit out of his home office... he might modify the kernel code to make something work easier for him. then if he thinks it is something that other might like, he posts it online. So he doesn't concentrate on developing the OS as such, but just modifies it when it would help him... I think a lot of the work done in updating Linux Kernels is done like this, but I might be wrong...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub