Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
math-strubation
    #2419835 - 03/11/04 05:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

technological apologists are quick to point out that..on the average..we live 20 years longer than we did 100 years ago...what they wont tell you is that human longevity is not merely a length of time..but the area of a rectangle...the difference between the timestamps on our birth and death certificates is one side of that rectangle...the other side might be called "freedom".."happiness"..etc..etc..that could never be quantified with any degree of accuracy...but if it could..the numbers would be far from impressive in terms of the area of the rectangle...in order to be successful.."life extension" must allow us to live both longer and "wider"..to this end..technology has failed miserably..and all the effort wasted...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: math-strubation [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2419907 - 03/11/04 06:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Annapurna1 said:
...the other side might be called "freedom".."happiness"..etc..etc..that could never be quantified with any degree of accuracy...

but if it could..the numbers would be far from impressive in terms of the area of the rectangle...

Ah... if things things could never be quantified with any degree of accuracy, how can the statement then be made that "the numbers would be far from impressive..."? Now if I say, "We have no way of knowing how many people are in that house, but if we did there wouldn't be very many at all," would that make sense?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: math-strubation [Re: Evolving]
    #2419932 - 03/11/04 06:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

by the same token..it would be equally difficult for you to make the opposite case...however..suppose you were looking at a mountain..without the proper equipment..you could never tell how many metres the peak is...but its still obvious that the mountain is big..and that the one next to it is smaller...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2420135 - 03/11/04 07:24 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No, in your mountain example you are comparing it to a nearby mountain. Regardless, my original comments stand.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2420396 - 03/11/04 08:34 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah. "Technology" always told me it was going to make my life so much better, but I ain't seen that happening yet. Let's take on "technology"! Let's revolt, we could be the anti technology movement. We could arrange meetings on the internet.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
Re: math-strubation [Re: muhurgle]
    #2420466 - 03/11/04 08:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe you were joking and I'm too dull to catch it, but "taking on" technology and holding your meetings online seems like a bit of a contradiction, doesn't it?

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology