Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblethetechnician
 User Gallery

Electrician advice needed. *DELETED*
    #24174545 - 03/19/17 11:29 AM (7 years, 29 days ago)

Post deleted by thetechnician

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
Re: Electrician advice needed. [Re: thetechnician]
    #24175075 - 03/19/17 02:31 PM (7 years, 29 days ago)

Is it a ~40 year old house with aluminum wiring?

I'd bet a loose neutral otherwise.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Invisiblethetechnician
 User Gallery

Re: Electrician advice needed. [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #24175569 - 03/19/17 05:08 PM (7 years, 29 days ago)

It is around 40 years old, but all of the wiring at the breaker is copper. Why would a loose neutral pop the breaker?

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
    #24175729 - 03/19/17 05:58 PM (7 years, 29 days ago)

It probably wouldn't from your description. A clamp on ammeter would give you more information.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Loc: North So Cal Flag
Re: Electrician advice needed. [Re: Ahab McBathsalts] * 1
    #24182250 - 03/22/17 03:10 AM (7 years, 27 days ago)

That's a tough one. You might consider the chance of a poor connection causing it to trip the breaker. Check the actual load on the circuit. Go turn everything on plug a bunch of crap in and try to cause a trip.

Pull the lights off and check their wiring make sure the hot ground and neutral aren't mixed, also make sure the connections are tight and clean. Someone didn't wire nut them poorly.

Like you got my electricians cert 15 years ago and I've only pulled a couple permits.. for my own stuff. Got it for work at Large electronics company and never needed it.

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Electrician advice needed. (moved) [Re: thetechnician] * 1
    #24183392 - 03/22/17 01:50 PM (7 years, 26 days ago)

This thread was moved from Shroomery University.

Reason:
Belongs here.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #24451240 - 07/02/17 03:18 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe the circuit breaker ia getting old.

I would first determine all the fixtures and outlets hooked up to that circuit and determine how many things are actually on the circuit. Best way to do this is turn everything on in the house, and plug some lamps into outlets in the dining room and arouns the dining room. I live in an old house and the wiring is funky: For example, the whole living room (lights too) is on a 20amp circuit. Definitely not enough for the living room. Needs a 30 or 40amp breaker. That could be the problem right there, breaker is too low for the power being used.

Typically u want 20% headroom above the breaker, meaning u have a 20amp break but u only use 18amp at any time.

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

#24466905 - 07/08/17 06:29 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Is it a Federal Pacific load center/breaker box, by chance?  If not, my money's on worn out breaker which really does require replacement.  That's assuming you don't have serious fault currents going on, though I think you'd have noticed some side effects from that by now.

Invisiblethetechnician
 User Gallery

Re: Electrician advice needed. [Re: idiotek]
    #24468396 - 07/08/17 07:02 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the tips guys! I think we isolated it to the motion light on the back porch. I haven't had time to replace it yet, but we have been leaving the switch turned off, and have had no more tripped breakers.

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

#24469429 - 07/09/17 06:57 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

That's the fun but random nature of troubleshooting. I love service calls sometimes.  Good luck and be safe fixing it.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
    #24609834 - 09/06/17 07:56 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

When you have circuits tripping off like that, you follow a procedure.

1. first find which circuit it is, look at the breaker and see what it controls
2. then check everything on that circuit.
3. when you isolate the problem disconnect it until you can fix it

So it seems the steps have been followed. I really doubt its the light itself causing a problem, more likely the controller in this case. Sometimes you can't tell what it is, switches and receptacles rarely are the problem, if you put your ear near them and hear a sound, maybe a frying sound then thats your problem. In that case shut off the circuit, get a replacement part and put it in. This actually happened to me, a switch went bad after many years for no obvious reason and shorted out.

Occasionally it will be wiring inside the walls, this is the most dangerous type of problem because a fire can break out. Luckily its very rare and will usually trip the breaker soon as you reset it, saving your home from flames. Any device on the suspect circuit should be disconnected to see if that solves the problem. Thats easy with stuff you plug in, some things are wired in. Put your ear next to it also feel it for unusual warmth. A warm or hot device that is not running is a sign of a slow short which may not trip right away but will probably get worse. A short in a light socket could be the problem, feel and listen. It could be a shorted winding on a motor, could be many things. If none of that works call an electrician. You don't want them to be interviewing the neighbors and them saying "he had a problem with a breaker a few weeks before the tragic fire."

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineShunyata
Doppelgänger
 User Gallery
Loc: costa rica
Re: Electrician advice needed. [Re: Stonehenge]
    #24626608 - 09/13/17 03:14 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

My bets are on the breaker which is real easy change.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
1,294 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.