Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMiddlemanM

Are You An Ophiuchus?
    #2413817 - 03/10/04 06:10 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

One tidbit of "astronomical" information that most people seem to know is their "sun sign." But few people know what it means. Fewer still know that it doesn't mean that at all, or at least that it hasn't for the past few thousand years.

If asked, most people would say that a "Gemini" is a person who was born when the sun was in front of the stars of the constellation Gemini the twins. That might have been true about 2,600 years ago, but it isn't today-for two reasons.

First, when the astrological sun sign system was set up more than two thousand years ago, the sun's path was divided into twelve equally spaced "signs," each 30 degrees wide, and these signs only approximately coincided with the constellations. Cancer, for example, is a small constellation, and Pisces is huge, but both are accorded onetwelfth of the sun's annual path. The constellation Cancer -- which is made of stars - never coincided exactly with the sign of Cancer -- which is a 30 degree wide zone along the sun's path. And each astronomer/astrologer had his own idea of where the constellation Cancer began and ended, and even of how many constellations there were.

Astronomers finally settled this nagging problem about 60 years ago when the international Astronomical Union said these are the official constellation boundaries, and published a set of specifications that reads like a surveyor's plot of irregular parcels of land. This, for example, is the true location of the constellation Cancer:

Trace along declination 7? 0' from right ascension 9h 15m to 7h 55m 30s
Then go north from declination 7? 0' to 10?.
Turn west and continue on 10? from right ascension 7h 55m 30s to 7h 48m 30s
Now head north again from 10? to 20? 0'
Then double back east from right ascension 7h 48m 30s to 7h 53m
Again go north from 20? 0' to 28? 0'.
Along declination 28? 0', go east from right ascension 7h 53m to 8h 0m
Again cut north to 33? O'.
Along declination 33? O', 90 east from right ascension 8h 0m to 9h1 5m
Then close the boundary by turning south and continuing south on right ascension 9h 15m from declination 33? O' to 7? O'.

This redrawing of the boundaries added a constellation to the zodiac. According to the official modern constellation boundaries that all astronomers use, the sun passes through 13 constellations, not 12. The "thirteenth constellation" of the zodiac is Ophiuchus the Serpent Bearer, and the sun is in front of its stars during the first half of December. About one person in twenty is an "Ophiuchus," but few of them know it.

Second, the dates that the sun spends in each constellation have shifted by a few weeks. Originally the sun was in front of the stars of Gemini during the first two weeks of May, for example. Now in 1988, the sun is in front of the stars of Taurus during the same two weeks. What happened?

The earth is wobbling as it spins. Because the moon and sun are constantly pulling on the earth's equatorial bulge, the earth wobbles like a top that is slowing down. This wobbling is called precession, and it's so slow that the earth takes 25,800 years to complete one wobble. The most familiar way to think of this motion is to visualize the earth's axis as sweeping out a huge circle in the sky that includes Polaris and a point near the star Vega (which will be the pole star in 12,000 years). Another way to think about it is to imagine that the position of the sun on the first day of spring (the vernal equinox) slowly drifts around the sky. Five thousand years ago the sun was in Taurus, near the Pleiades star cluster, on the first day of spring. By the time of Christ, the earth's wobbling had caused the sun to be on the boundary between Aries and Pisces on the same date. Six centuries from now the sun will be in Aquarius as spring begins (and the "Age of Aquarius," a longoverdue age of universal peace and brotherhood, will finally dawn).

Not only has the position of the sun on the first day of spring shifted over the past few thousand years; so has the position of the sun on every date. For example, the sun used to enter Cancer at the moment of the summer solstice (hence the term tropic of Cancer for the latitude where the sun is overhead on that date). This year [1988] the sun is in Gemini on the summer solstice. Next year is the last year that this is true. Beginning in 1990 the sun will be in Taurus at the summer solstice, two, constellations off of its "original" position.

When the earth's wobbling was discovered by the Greek astronomer Hipparchus in the second century B. C., astrologers had a problem. The sun was supposed to be in Aries as spring began, but it was really in front of the stars of Pisces. The astrologers took this bombshell in stride and declared that the signs drifted with the sun and that the sun was still in the sign of Aries, even though it was in front of the stars of Pisces. Hipparchus, by the way, is the northeastfacing astronomer on the Astronomers Monument on the Observatory's lawn.

So the constellations have stayed in the same direction, but the signs have drifted to the west (relative to the fixed stars), and they no longer coincide. If you were born during the first two weeks of May 2600 years ago, you were born when the sun was in both the sign and constellation of Taurus. Now during those weeks the sun is in Aries. Astrologically speaking, you are still a Taurus; astronomically speaking you are an Aries. Likewise, most Libras are really Virgos, and so on. (And to add insult to injury, most Sagittarians are really Ophiuchi.) Of the 366 possible birthdates, the sign astrologers use corresponds to the astronomical constellation 14 percent of the time. The astrological sign is off by one constellation for 84 percent and by two constellations for the other 2 percent.

So much for the effect that the stars have on our lives. The astrological effect that "Aries" is supposed to exert follows the drifting sun, not the stars. If astrology works, its mysterious forces come from arbitrary directions in space that have nothing to do with the stars that lie in those directions.

The table below lists the dates when the sun is in the real astronomical constellations of the zodiac. The dates fluctuate by a day from year to year.

Now, will an Ophiuchus please stand up!

Astronomical Constellations of the Zodiac

Constellation    Dates

Capricornus      January  19  to  February  15
Aquarius        February  16  to  March      11
Pisces          March    12  to  April      18
Aries            April    19  to  May        13
Taurus          May      14  to  June      19
Gemini          June      20  to  July      20
Cancer          July      21  to  August      9
Leo              August    10  to  September  15
Virgo            September 16  to  October    30
Libra            October  31  to  November  22
Scorpius        November  23  to  November  29
Ophiuchus        November  30  to  December  17
Sagittarius      December  18  to  January    18

John Mosley
Griffith Observatory

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Are You An Ophiuchus? [Re: Middleman]
    #2413829 - 03/10/04 06:21 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

So I'm not a Libra at all, but a Virgo? My god.  :shocked:

When I read that I changed my entire personality to fit Virgo instead of Libra. :lol:

Tusen takk! :thumbup:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2413903 - 03/10/04 07:03 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I'm not an Ophiuchus, but I'm not a Gemini, either.  :grin:

I was born July 9th, and although there's recently been discussion around here that astrological signs mean nothing, Cancer describes me perfectly

I just read the horoscope for Gemini, which your chart shows me to be in actuality, and while it describes a Gemini, whom I know, perfectly, it doesn't describe me at all. 

If your chart is correct, then it may be true that signs don't really describe us correctly, or they get lucky.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Are You An Ophiuchus? [Re: Frog]
    #2413928 - 03/10/04 07:14 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

huh, i thought i was Cancerian,
but i'm really a Gemini.
and when i read about it,
Gemini described me much better.

anyway, it's not my chart, and it is correct.

btw, John Mosley and the Belgian astronomer Jean Meeus
found that the planets (minus Pluto) actually pass through these 21 constellations,

(using IAU boundaries):

Aquarius
Aries
Cancer
Capricornus
Cetus
Corvus
Crater
Gemini
Hydra
Leo
Libra
Ophiuchus
Orion
Pegasus
Pisces
Sagittarius
Scorpius
Scutum
Sextans
Taurus
Virgo

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #2414118 - 03/10/04 08:32 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I was, and still am, an Aquarius.. (Feb17th) :wink:

Interesting post, tho. I had read about this before, but I was under the impression that the 13th zodiac sign Ophiuchus was after Pisces.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Are You An Ophiuchus? [Re: Adamist]
    #2414133 - 03/10/04 08:38 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Long time no see, man. :laugh:

Welcome back! :thumbup:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Are You An Ophiuchus? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2414204 - 03/10/04 09:02 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

so I'm not a scorpio!!! I'm a libra!!!!  **** that!!!!  that's hella hella hella hella lame :grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
    #2414252 - 03/10/04 09:14 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I'll just tell people im half Cancer half Gemini now.

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2415466 - 03/10/04 02:13 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I don't believe in astrology anyway, though Aquarius fits me fairly well (January 21st).

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Are You An Ophiuchus? [Re: Adamist]
    #2418189 - 03/11/04 05:09 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

nice to see ya Adamist.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2418287 - 03/11/04 06:39 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

aw $#&%!

I got a dozen Scorpion Tattoos for NOTHING!?? ARRGH!!!!!!

:wink:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2418309 - 03/11/04 06:49 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

in order to survive implosion,
our MerKaVa must be Phi.
Phi is Perfect Compassion.

How does one know if one's MerKaVa is Phi?

And, uh, what's a MerKaVa?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

User Gallery

#2418380 - 03/11/04 07:17 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

A stab in the darkness:

MerKava = Soul, Spirit, etc

How does one know if one's Soul/Spirit posesses 'perfect compassion'?

How do you know if you're a completely evil and uncompassionate soul?

:wink:

--------------------

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Are You An Ophiuchus? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2418396 - 03/11/04 07:32 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

I would know because my name would be George W. Bush.

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Are You An Ophiuchus? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2418397 - 03/11/04 07:33 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Well, then, in conjunction with Jinx's talk about 2012...

We're supposed to be strengthening ourselves to be ready for 2012. I think part of that getting ready process is having a strong Merkava.

Assuming that there's going to be some major ordeals to endure when the changes occur, we will need to be strong people to survive. Not physically strong, but spiritually, mentally and emotionally strong.

I'm not saying that for sure that 2012 is real, but it might be. I would be doing all the things I'm doing even if nothing happens as a result of 2012, but if 2012 occurs, then I'll be ready for it, I think.

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#2418428 - 03/11/04 07:47 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

User Gallery

#2418446 - 03/11/04 08:04 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Question: What is the "Wyrd"?

I notice you and Alan Stone have the Wyrd word somewhere around your title/avatar. Is it in any relation to Belgium?

--------------------

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #2418564 - 03/11/04 09:00 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

damn, im a scorpio :blush:

and here i was always mad at my friend cuz he got to be a scorpio and i was stuck bein a sagitarius! true victory is mine!

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order