Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse
    #24170984 - 03/17/17 08:45 PM (7 years, 13 days ago)

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/trump-promised-to-end-the-opioid-epidemic-but-his-budget-will-make-it-worse

To tackle this deadly epidemic, the Trump administration needs to do more than set aside some law enforcement dollars.

Nestled amid health department cuts in President Donald Trump's budget proposal released Thursday is a supposed $500 million commitment to curbing the opioid epidemic. But many addiction experts say the budget falls short, and will actually worsen the epidemic.

"I'm not optimistic," said Dr. Andrew Kolodny, the co-director of opioid policy research at Brandeis University in Boston.

The opioid epidemic—which kills 91 Americans every day, according to the Centers of Disease Control—was a major theme throughout Trump's campaign. The candidate pledging to stop the import of illegal drugs and improve care to prevent overdose deaths. His base includes populations most impacted by this scourge, as evidenced in the election, when Trump performed best in the counties hardest hit by the opioid epidemic.

In the budget blueprint, Trump highlighted investments in opioid addiction and substance abuse treatment. In particular, the president noted this budget includes "a $500 million increase above 2016 enacted levels to expand opioid misuse prevention efforts and to increase access to treatment and recovery services."

However, as Kolodny pointed out, it's not clear whether this is a new, additional investment, or if this is the $500 million already devoted to opioid addiction treatment programs under the 21st Century Cures Act, which President Barack Obama signed at the end of last year, and guaranteed $1 billion for these programs over the next two years. I emailed a White House press contact for clarification, but had not heard back at the time of publication.

"You're spending money on eliminating supply, and that doesn't do much about the demand."

The budget also highlighted an increased spending of $175 million in the Department of Justice's budget to target drug traffickers, and specifically noted this was to help tackle the opioid epidemic from a law enforcement angle. But cracking down on drug dealers alone won't solve the problem, according to Katharine Neill, a drug policy postdoctoral fellow at Rice University in Houston.

"That's an old 'War on Drugs' tactic that we've seen in the past and it doesn't tend to work," Neill told me. "You're spending money on eliminating supply, and that doesn't do much about the demand."

Both Neill and Kolodny told me they're even more concerned by overall changes and cuts to healthcare. The Republican proposal to replace the Affordable Care Act will result in 24 million American losing health insurance coverage, according to the Congressional Budget Office. It would also rein in expansions for Medicaid coverage, leaving the most vulnerable Americans—many of whom are struggling with addiction—without care.

To tackle this deadly epidemic, the Trump administration needs to do more than set aside some law enforcement dollars to fighting drug dealers, the experts told me. The health care plan would need to be changed to ensure people can afford and keep insurance, the Food and Drug Administration would need to enact stricter regulations on drug marketing, and the federal government would need to expand funding for programs that include medication-assisted treatment (such as methadone), not just abstinence-based care.

But so far, the Trump administration hasn't addressed any of these other facets to slowly the toll of America's opioid crisis, and that's leaving experts troubled.

"We weren't in a great place before Trump came in and the things Trump is talking about doing, I do believe, will make the epidemic worse," said Kolodny.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: tdubz] * 2
    #24171027 - 03/17/17 09:09 PM (7 years, 13 days ago)

the american people voted in a bufoon because they couldn't get over a twat

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: Konyap]
    #24171224 - 03/17/17 11:00 PM (7 years, 13 days ago)

U.S. could learn a thing or two from Canada on Drug Reform, but then again they are not being flooded at the same capacity as the United States is from Mexico when it comes to Heroin.

Offlineperikleous
Stranger

Loc: EuroZone Victim
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: tdubz]
    #24171351 - 03/18/17 12:30 AM (7 years, 13 days ago)

Nobody is looking at the big picture, TRUMP already sold out to the elitist neocons in the DEEP STATE... His removing Flynn at there behest followed by the military expansion/NATO support all show he is already in there pocket!
They likely showed him the "dirt" they have on him from years of spying and thats likely the reason he has placed PENCE as VP and kept R. Priebus in his staff knowing they are deep state tools... The fact he hasn't neutered McCain after all the nagative crap he has done is more evidence that he is owned... McCain is nothing but a deep state tool.
  The drug war will be turned up and the basic business fundamentals like laws of supply and demand should be obvious to a business man like Trump, lowering supply only increases price and seeing how its black market (drugs) it increases crime/violence to obtain it.. The only ones who profit are the prison industry and police depts. It will do nothing to even slow demand!
If he had any interest in fixing the real issue, he would pull out of afghanistan completely, deport all illegal migrants in US prisons(aside from the most violent),forget the $ wasted on a border wall and spend the savings on drug rehab/education rather than creating new criminals!
By not doing these things he is adding to the mess rather than fixing it!
Building a wall doesnt stop the issues it actually worsens it, you stop watching because there is a wall!
The truth is that legalizing what they ship over the border eliminates there desire. Eliminating there ability to work and caging/deporting them will deter them, the wall only creates a demand for new ways to get over/under/through it....
Decriminalizing drug use would lower price and that would leviate the crime/violence related to it, same as lifting alcohol prohibition and legalized gambling has done, which Trump knows very well
When was the last time someone got robbed at gunpoint for there booze when leaving a liquor store? Because its decriminalised its affordable!!!
As for the abuse/overdose, that wont stop until its legalised or the economy/jobs are fixed, when there is no hope at a better life, why not relieve the pain with drug use? You will always have addicts regardless of the interest, wether it gambling drugs shopping or even sex, but the avaerage person will lose alot, hit bottom and get help... If help is available to the financially challenged (working class citizens)

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: perikleous]
    #24171401 - 03/18/17 01:11 AM (7 years, 13 days ago)

I agree sort of hard to read tho no offense please try spacing out the paragraphs.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: tdubz]
    #24171487 - 03/18/17 02:55 AM (7 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

"You're spending money on eliminating supply, and that doesn't do much about the demand."

The budget also highlighted an increased spending of $175 million in the Department of Justice's budget to target drug traffickers, and specifically noted this was to help tackle the opioid epidemic from a law enforcement angle

"That's an old 'War on Drugs' tactic that we've seen in the past and it doesn't tend to work," Neill told me. "You're spending money on eliminating supply, and that doesn't do much about the demand."

I don't know why I never thought of this before but reading this made me come up with an interesting thought.

Let's say with this new spending that there will be a significant effect. If they actually are able to stifle supply to any degree, itll inevitably cause the cost of drugs to go up and or purity (at the street level)to drop. Not to mention make every job involved in the drug trade more lucrative and therefore more appealing..

Oh there's also that we'll see all kinds of shitty dangerous "knock off" drugs. What are they gonna do when people stop getting high on heroin and crack, and start getting high on dogshit73. Drugs like fent are perfect for a dealer without scruples. Insanely potent, less is more..easy to traffic just through the mail even..

Fuck man I just wish the collective "they" would stop this dumbfuckery. Those in government have used the same lame inept strategy for decades, only to make things so much worse along the way.

This ideology of going after the dealers/users is just dumb. Its an unstoppable river of addicts, of dealers/king pins, and of course drugs. You can't stop a river but you can redirect it to appropriate channels and prevent flooding.

I think we need to focus on quality drug education. Not fear mongering lies that we fed mostly kids all these decades. Adults need to learn too. I was always left with the distinct impression as a kid that drug users were just awful people. And unfortunately so many actually believe that.. People need to stop treating addiction as a character defect.

I've always hated calling addiction an illness but when you get past the point of choice, I really don't know what other word to use. Anyone can catch this illness but we can both treat and prevent it.

Destroy the stigma, get addicts out of the dark and treat addiction like the medical emergency it is. Its a disease of depression, desperation and despair. Locking people up, forcing them to pay exorbitant penalties helps who exactly?

I don't know of any ex addict that got clean by being forced to stop. Its something that you have to come out of through your own will and with support from others.

Treatment needs to be easily available and effectively funded. Also we ought to borrow from other countries like Portugal and Switzerland. For the very reason I mentioned above I believe we should have "heroin assisted treatment" Meaning the most hardcore addicts are provided with pure medically pure heroin, with clean supplies in a supervised center. Almost all addicts never wanted to become addicts, but now they're stuck in this inescapable cycle.

The folks at the bottom, the hopeless, the destitute, that live on the streets.. they  hustle, peddle, steal beg just to get by/get high or just not get horrendously sick. The whole day of vice, danger consumes all time and energy. Now think for a second if the addict didn't have to put themselves and others in so much danger/cause harm?

What if some of that time and energy becomes free? Options open up, choices can begin to be made. A certain level of stability and healthfulness needed in order to fully even begin to progress becomes possible in addicted individuals.

We have methadone programs that work for some, we have addicts who receive  ($$$) suboxone scripts and again helps some. But how many sell their scripts for heroin? How many just use those drugs as a supplement til they can cop again? A whole shitload do. I think an addict (I can speak from personal past experience) believes that life would be set if they just had an endless supply of dope.

I believe that addicts in these heroin assistant treatment centers, that have their dope on demand (what all addicts dream), come to realize the grass is not greener. Hey and at least the lifers are essentially out of the way.

It'll help reduce the burden to society in multiple ways. Again  Funds will be so much better spent on these kinds of ideas/programs compared to the typical bs of cracking down on traffickers, dealers and users. This war on drugs as Bill Hicks said is a war on personal freedom. A way to circumvent the constitution/bill of rights, allowing the government to harass citizens with complete impunity. Civil fucking forfeiture comes to mind.

I've actually had my vehicle seized, yet wasn't charged of any crime or arrested. Illegally harassed and searched, the officer found a few dime bags of dope on the passenger I had with me and that was game over, my car was 100% clean. Hell the guy didn't even get convicted, his lawyer beat it effortlessly.

Mean while I'm there in crutches(just recovered from surgery) with under $5 in my pocket and my cellphone they were just so " kind" enough to allow me to grab out of my car after begging them profusely.. I sat there for hours at a Mickey D'S in a super sketchy black neighborhood arranging a ride home.

The cop that first approached me was a fuckn cunt bag tool piece of self righteous shit! All his back up officers were asshole who wouldn't say so much as a word to me or tell me if they were seizing my car or if I could get it back. One black cop was kind of decent to me, he was the one who let me get my phone. We had very few words, when I asked him about my car, he asks me if my car was paid off or if I was making payments. I told him that it was paid off and that was pretty much all there was to it. Never could get my car back, between the money they wanted, the anal exam they were prepared to give me as far as documents etc., I was done for. Over and over I called the station just to talk to one after another indifferent unhelpful incompetent racist black bitches.

I come to find out later after reading an article on illinois/cook county civil forfeiture that the area is the worst in the nation. They've seized a staggering amount of money, properties, vehicles, you name it mostly drug related. Then it goes further and said that money was reinvreinvested in high tech $$$ cell phone surveilance and the like. Just all of it is such a gross miscarriage of justice to put it lightly for one thing, and for another thing it's a slippery slope to authoritarianism..

Ending the opiate epidemic is not gonna be a 1 2 3 done simple fix. There's so many facets to it, the recession/depression and all the negative political/governmental atmosphere we're in has left people hopeless. America is suffering and everyone feels it. And it's not something you can pin all on Donald.

Offlineperikleous
Stranger

Loc: EuroZone Victim
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24171503 - 03/18/17 03:21 AM (7 years, 13 days ago)

Your thoughts have been proven!

The crackdown on prescription opioids in 2012 especially in Florida, they could have enacted a monitoring system(nationwide) rather than statewide, enforced it so the doctor shopping wouldve ended.

That alone would have curbed the issue.
Instead they went after doctors/pharms and patients... It caused a price war, Pharms jacked prices through the roof to make up losses on volumn and basing there numbers on street value!

This forced patients to subvert part of there meds(crime) to offset costs and then needing the sacraficed meds were forced to turn to the black market (crime).

Doctors, out of fear stopped writing the meds as needed, people turned to street drugs...

Now they are out of control, the heroin needs cannot be met so they are cutting with fentanyl/RC's to make up added costs and volume...

All this could have been avoided and Heroin would still be a small % of overdoses..
The prescription ODs would have dropped with the tracking system nationally being utilized, but they went to far...

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: perikleous]
    #24171619 - 03/18/17 06:41 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

"Pharms jacked prices through the roof to make up losses on volumn and basing there numbers on street value!"

Wow! A couple of years ago I would have said that's completely insane and truly it is but with all the manipulation of drug prices we've seen in the news by jerkoffs, nothing like that surprises me anymore.

It's funny when I see opiates in a news title I automatically think heroin. I sorta missed out on the whole oxy craze. Boy if I was in Florida at the time. There was this article I read about these group of high school kids who made millions from selling oxy... working with numerous docs/phoney back xrays etc. And just simply shipping stuff fedex/ups.

At first shipped exclusively to the nearest states throughout the south, til they realized that the further north they found connects to sell to, the more money theyd make. Actually if they were a little older and wiser they could have done a hell of a lot more.

At the time they got arrested, they were so strung out on Oxy that their daily doses would make an elephant nod. Picture having to ride that kind of withdrawal off in jail..yikes!! I think that being young and in good shape (they were wrestlers & football players) may have helped.

With opiates/opioids you can have a habit so big/tolerance so high that abrupt cessation from the drug can actually be life threatening.

I just went off writing again.. it's a subject I am extremely passionate about. I've been through it all with opiates, from popping a 5mg hydrocodone as a teen to shooting smack in my mid 20s. I picked myself back up and have just shy of year heroin free. I hurt so many people, done unimaginable things, turned into someone I didn't even recognize and absolutely hated..i hurt myself the most. I've seen others drop cold and lifeless in front of me..

I've actually thought of different ways i could help opiate addicts in my area. But I don't know how, talk with them if they want? Give the dopesick loperamide and kratom.. I dunno really wish I could help people make it to the other side ,

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24171902 - 03/18/17 09:50 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

kratom is deff a gift from god to get off the hard opiates almost any drug man has concentrated or extracted into a chemical has done us no good.Herbal plants tend to have a way of balancing their chemical ratio out.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #24172654 - 03/18/17 03:54 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
kratom is deff a gift from god to get off the hard opiates almost any drug man has concentrated or extracted into a chemical has done us no good.Herbal plants tend to have a way of balancing their chemical ratio out.

Yes a million times this. I like to think mother nature is looking out for us with all the amazing plants we have discovered.

I do think chemicals have their place to but people need to stop blindly trusting doctors and scientists as that has not worked out so well...

Companies will straight up lie to and mislead doctors as we have seen to make them prescribe their new "safe painkillers", then people take them thinking "oh boy good thing these aren't addicting" until it is too late... It's ridiculous, then people still have the audacity to bash  things like cannabis and kratom or even mushrooms. It's mind blowing how hypocritical people can be :uhoh:

Quote:

perikleous said:
Nobody is looking at the big picture, TRUMP already sold out to the elitist neocons in the DEEP STATE...

I am amazed when I see people still rambling about him "draining the swamp" or being the enemy of big brother/ corrupt government... People are delusional.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: On Uranus Flag
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: tdubz] * 1
    #24173587 - 03/18/17 11:12 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
U.S. could learn a thing or two from Canada on Drug Reform, but then again they are not being flooded at the same capacity as the United States is from Mexico when it comes to Heroin.

An import which is still being given a run for its money by the pharmaceutical industry pumping out opioid pills and patches and the doctors who can't write scripts fast enough. Shit, I like opes as much as the next cat, but the government's greed in not wanting to take on the epidemic on all fronts is not only folly, but is also sure to cost more lives when RCs and Fentanyl analogues at über-fuck strengths continue to hit the streets and junkies who are uninformed as to the strength of the powder shoot even too hot of a tester and end up snuffed, sometimes even when first responders administer narcan. The elites want to treat it like a game, but this is peoples' fucking lives! Parents burying their sons and daughters and vice versa.

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits
"I feel the same way about disco as I feel about herpes."-Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #24179081 - 03/20/17 10:21 PM (7 years, 10 days ago)

(Insert firery political statement about trump here)

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #24181103 - 03/21/17 05:23 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Instead of going to war against popular vices, of which there are many, just quit subsidizing them. Quit making the work, for yourself. And, whether or not I agree with your politics, at least, you will be consistent. :awesomenod:

InvisibleChRnZN
Din of Doom
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: ADK
Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: durian_2008] * 1
    #24181428 - 03/21/17 07:21 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Did not see this coming  :liar:

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump Promised to End the Opioid Epidemic, But His Budget Will Make It Worse [Re: ChRnZN] * 1
    #24181747 - 03/21/17 09:19 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Why fix something that is making money? Obviously the U.S. government and politicians have their heart in the wrong place. If they did then we would see real policy reform instead of fundings for police agencies to go after the opioid abusers and the illicit market.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf