Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHALFemptyJOSH
Magician
Male

Loc: USA
casing question & new jar incubation (expieriment)
    #2416530 - 03/10/04 07:03 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

casing info:
bottom layer .25 in. vermiculite
middle layer .5-1 in. mycelium
top layer 1 in. coco/verm (50/50)
casing question...
i saw some green mold on the side of my casing i cut off about 1/4 of the casing, when i broke apart the mycelium they're wasn't any green mold on the inside though? well after i cut away alot of the casing i sparayed lysol alot, is that alright?
and why is it that i'm so successful up to the fruiting chamber but then everything starts to get contaminated. damn those fruiting chambers.

when i first cased my casings i noriced taht there was mycelium on the lid and on the bottom of the jar (small amounts). so i figured to try putting in some brf substrate in the jar to see if it will work. i mixed some substrate and put in the oven at high temp for about 30-45 minutes. i put the substrate in freezer untill cool (clean freezer). i then used the oven sterilty to transfer substrate to the jars with little bits of mycelium. it's been 8 days now and these are the results so far. one jar is completely contaminated with green mold and cobweb. another jar possible of cobweb. and the other 2 look like they might have a chance. what do you think?

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

Re: casing question & new jar incubation (expieriment) [Re: HALFemptyJOSH]
    #2417396 - 03/10/04 11:53 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

I think the cakes have a prayer, but that is why experimenting is so fun. I hope you covered the substrate in the freezer. Good luck.

i'm not sure how much you mist your casings or what with, but try just misting a couple times a week (unless you have pins, then none at all) and only with a weak h2o2 solution, if you're not already. otherwise, try to forget about it unless the coco turns light brown. try using salt along the edge of where the green mold was (as per hippie's tek, use sparingly) and hold off on the lysol. you might try some isopropyl alcohol (70%) if you're concerned about mold lingering on the casing tray, but try to avoid spraying much into the air. a weak (1:50) bleach solution might be a good alternative, too, which will do some tissue damage, but could help along with salt to keep the greenies away.

--------------------
It used to be that we loved little children. Now we eat them.
--Ira Hyde

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #2417534 - 03/11/04 12:35 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

sounds like yr having some contam probs bro
happens to the best of us
i say scap it all start again
pay attention to the innoc and casing stages for yr contam problems
are you properly steralizing yr casing mix
better luck next time

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #2418170 - 03/11/04 04:54 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Too late to do anything about it now but next time I'd recommend a thicker middle layer, especially with that thick a top layer.

Yes, if you spayed lysol near your casing it will probably cause mutants. If it's not anywhere near pinning though, this won't be as bad.

With transfers like you did with the jars, they are very prone to contam. It's a good idea to have a glovebox or at least a hepa in a small room (that's what afoaf does.)

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Edited by Tantalus (03/11/04 04:56 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom