Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemindfunk1
interested party
Loc: Tomahawk County
how to induce fewer, larger fruits?
    #2416532 - 03/10/04 07:04 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

hello all,

I've had good success with some 60/40 casings using 60/40 Amazonian BRF substrate. The 'problem' is that there are way too many pins/fruits on the casing surface! This is a problem because it really disturbs the casing surface to harvest so many fruits that are so close together. Also, it makes it difficult to get decent spore prints from such small caps. I've been getting around 20% abort rate with the rest of the surface completely covered in fruits, literally growing one on top of the other. Is there a good method to encourage fewer, larger fruits, presumably yielding the same weight, since the total available food will not change?? Since the pins only grow where the 'microclimate' is ideal, would making the casing surface more uneven lead to fewer pinning points>>less fruits growing bigger off the same food? I've been anal re: smoothing the casing layers, as per the teks - it looks like an ice rink when I'm done!

many thanks for any suggestions!

"If you know what life is worth, you will look for yours on Earth"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: how to induce fewer, larger fruits? [Re: mindfunk1]
    #2416728 - 03/10/04 08:19 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Exactly! I wish I could give some advice but I've been wondering the same thing. Strain definately has a lot to do with it. I've had this with haw and lipa yai but not with other strains. I've also wondered about a more uneven casing layer. So yeah, let's get some more input!

OfflineScourge
The Dr.
Loc: Near flint Michgan, USA
Re: how to induce fewer, larger fruits? [Re: mockeylock]
    #2416753 - 03/10/04 08:28 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

an uneven casing layer, causing an uneven pis set should do the job easily. however... the increased size of the few shrooms you do get will pale in comparison to the many yyou would get with an even pin set. Doing this is yealy a bad idea, unless you dont care so much about how much you get and only the size of a single mushroom for a trophy of sorts.

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grow in Honor and Strength."

OfflineShroomInhaler
No, I don'tsmoke them! :P

#2417037 - 03/10/04 10:00 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Exactly. I would rather have more weight in mushrooms that having less weight and bigger mushrooms. You should trip out jsut the same on small ones.

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #2418064 - 03/11/04 03:30 AM (20 years, 21 days ago)

Sounds like you just want a larger fruiting strain. AFOAF recommends B+, but has heard orissa may be the biggest.

Some strains just seem to do better with some particular methods too. For instance, AFOAF has some simple casings with verm bottom, corn, then cased with jiffy mix going side by side using the same methods and conditions. The B+ have done pretty good, while the cambos havn't even been worth the effort -- they've yielded much worse than they would have done on pf cakes in the same space. Same problem, lots of small pins that dry up to nothing they're so thin.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom