Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27
Offlinederswahl
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: GypsyBastard]
    #27150631 - 01/16/21 12:08 AM (1 month, 14 days ago)

Haha yeah - I picked up a starter pack that came with 2 GT, 2 B+ and a blue meanie.  I just know there will be failure as I learn, so I figure if I can mitigate some of it and avoid obvious errors, I might have a better run at successful fruiting down the road.  I would equally hate to wait for an obvious failure if that makes sense.  Either way; fingers crossed tomorrow goes well and in a few weeks we will get some results!  Now to debate over a SGFC or shoebox for the next few weeks!  Too much to learn with too little time :P

Any advice on which spores I should use tomorrow?  I originally wanted to do a little of each - but think it’s probably better to just kill one full stick instead of opening 3

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGypsyBastard
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Loc: The Mighty Boosh
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: derswahl]
    #27150648 - 01/16/21 12:21 AM (1 month, 14 days ago)

IMO, GT is a champ! It was my workhorse for a long time. B+ I have not worked with so I can't give a comparison. Pans can be tricky, maybe save those for later. However, again this is totally personal preference/opinion advice. I don't want to discourage you from anything. :smile:

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom
 User Gallery

#27157908 - 01/19/21 07:35 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

What is the best option for inoculation when using micropore tape?

1. Double layer of micropore tape
- Add micropore tape before PC
- Clean micropore tape with alchool
- Flame sterilize spore syringe and inoculate each hole through micropore tape
- Add second layer of micropore tape on top of first one

2. Single layer of micropore tape
- Remove micropore tape before inoculation
- Flame sterilize spore syringe and inoculate each hole
- Add second micropore tape

3. No micropore tape

Offlinederswahl
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27165716 - 01/23/21 06:04 PM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Hi all - been one week since I knocked up my first 10 cakes.  I know that patience is paramount - but with my concerns in the beginning (quoted below) I still can’t shake the feeling that I butchered everything.  After 7 days there is no change - growth - nothing.

How many more days would you recommend I wait before scrapping the first 10 and purchasing a different verm?  Or am I getting ahead of myself and just need to keep letting it ride.

Thank you again for the continued support!

Quote:

derswahl said:
Super noob question - I apologize in advance.

I just mixed up my first BRF cakes and think I have screwed up or maybe purchased the wrong ingredients.  I mixed 2 cups of verm and one cup of water but it was SUPER over field capacity.  I then got in my head and thought maybe I’m supposed to add the BRF as well, but that made a sort of slushy soup that did not look like any of the photo or documentation previously provided on this thread.

I then re-grouped and decided to stick with then plan and started over.  Once again, 2 cups verm, one cup water, then dialed in field capacity.  I had to add almost another 2.5 cups (for a total of approx 3.5 cups) of verm before I was at field capacity.  I then mixed one cup of BRF in, put them in my jars, dry verm on top, etc etc...

They are on the stove now steaming away, but I can’t help but think, what am I doing wrong?  Shouldn’t the ratio be 2:1:1?  The verm I purchased was “horticulture vermiculite-fine grade” purchased at my local Lowe’s.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?
Thanks again, from a very grateful hopeful enthusiast.

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom
 User Gallery

#27166031 - 01/23/21 09:12 PM (1 month, 6 days ago)

I'm a beginner, but from what I've read so far about PF-TEK it could take in some cases a very long time. As long as there is no contamination, smell or yellow liquid, I would keep them.

What is the temperature in the room where the jars are stored? The room temperature should be between 210-240C.

OfflineGypsyBastard
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: fungusul]
    #27166873 - 01/24/21 10:32 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

To put my mind at ease, I would likely just try again but without scrapping the first try. They may still work out but if not I wouldn't have wasted time waiting for them. Either way, I'll get mushrooms, or more mushrooms.
:mushroom::heart:

Offlinederswahl
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27168511 - 01/25/21 08:27 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

That’s fair - perhaps I will try the dollar store containers and see how it goes from there.

Can I confirm that the 2:1:1 ratios are usually in the ballpark for when you do the PF-tek, and you are actually achieving field capacity (or at least, close too) with 2 cups Verm to 1 cup water, before adding BRF?

I may try to get a different Verm if that’s the case, because as stated with my previous attempt, to achieve field capacity before introducing the BRF I was at almost 3.5 cups Verm to 1 cup water.  Once that field capacity was established I introduced the BRF, but I just feel like the ratios are so out of wack that there must not be enough nutrients, too much verm, or just something other than the fact that it’s winter and it might not be at the perfect temp (although, could be a factor.  Damn snow.  House is around 65-69f though (19.4c)).

The only reason I have not tried to implement an incubator or something or the form is I was under the impression they were slightly out dated and not required.  I know that 21-24c would be the ideal growing temp, but lower temps should still grow, even if their growth is a bit slower?

Would either of you recommend a way to keep them a bit warmer without cranking the heat up in the entire house?  Or do you think this isn’t necessary.

Thank you again for your input and knowledge!

Cheers,

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom
 User Gallery

#27169028 - 01/25/21 02:22 PM (1 month, 4 days ago)

The ration 2:1:1 should work unless vermiculite's size is not good.

Adding an extra TBSP to the mix is probably be OK, but as you've mentioned, adding too much vermiculite reduces the amount the BRF and nutrition of the substrate is reduced. Vermiculite is used just for filtering(the dry layer) and for providing water.

Using PROMIX vermiculite seem to work for 2:1:1 ratio. The finer the vermiculite, the more water is absorbed, so recommendation is to use finer vermiculite, but not powder.

Once you've achieved the perfect field capacity, it's better to measure by weight the quantities and write them down. Measuring using cups is not precise. Also, I've observed that it's better to prepare substrate just for 5 cakes at one time. When you prepare for more cakes, it's easier to get it wrong.

From information posted on other threads about temperature, if it goes below 20C it's going to take a longer time to colonize or stall, sometimes doubling the time. Using an incubator or heated pad is not recommended, so the alternative is to increase the temperature only inside the storage room.

The problem is that you want the colonization to be as fast as possible before the any bacteria starts growing inside the jars. So it's a race to colonize the substrate :wink:. If the substrate is colonized first by mycellium, bacteria or other contaminants cannot take hold anymore. The way I see it, is that any extra day in colonization times increases the risk of contaminants.

To heat the room, I would use an oil-filled electric heater(to avoid creating air currents inside the room).

Cheers,

Offlinederswahl
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27169643 - 01/25/21 08:12 PM (1 month, 4 days ago)

Quote:

fungusul said:
The ration 2:1:1 should work unless vermiculite's size is not good.

Adding an extra TBSP to the mix is probably be OK, but as you've mentioned, adding too much vermiculite reduces the amount the BRF and nutrition of the substrate is reduced. Vermiculite is used just for filtering(the dry layer) and for providing water.

Using PROMIX vermiculite seem to work for 2:1:1 ratio. The finer the vermiculite, the more water is absorbed, so recommendation is to use finer vermiculite, but not powder.

Once you've achieved the perfect field capacity, it's better to measure by weight the quantities and write them down. Measuring using cups is not precise. Also, I've observed that it's better to prepare substrate just for 5 cakes at one time. When you prepare for more cakes, it's easier to get it wrong.

From information posted on other threads about temperature, if it goes below 20C it's going to take a longer time to colonize or stall, sometimes doubling the time. Using an incubator or heated pad is not recommended, so the alternative is to increase the temperature only inside the storage room.

The problem is that you want the colonization to be as fast as possible before the any bacteria starts growing inside the jars. So it's a race to colonize the substrate :wink:. If the substrate is colonized first by mycellium, bacteria or other contaminants cannot take hold anymore. The way I see it, is that any extra day in colonization times increases the risk of contaminants.

To heat the room, I would use an oil-filled electric heater(to avoid creating air currents inside the room).

Cheers,

Thanks for the info.  I would have expected the same results from fine grade Vern, but in my experience with the “extra fine” verm - I was unable to get to field capacity without the addition of 3x the verm per the 2:1:1 formula.  It was less absorbent with more surface area? (Scratch’s head).  I think I’ll try to get crafty with some form of heating element to increase temp.

I suppose I will head to the local gardening store and see if they have any verm in the dead of winter :smile:.

Thanks again for all the help!

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom
 User Gallery

#27170900 - 01/26/21 03:25 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

fungusul said:

3. No micropore tape

No preferences for any of the options? I've used the option 2), but not sure if this is the best option.

OfflineGypsyBastard
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

#27170930 - 01/26/21 03:37 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

fungusul said:
Quote:

fungusul said:

3. No micropore tape

No preferences for any of the options? I've used the option 2), but not sure if this is the best option.

No tape, cover with foil, PC, Remove foil in SAB, inoculate, tape.

you can put a paper towel of coffee filter under foil to absorb condensation

I'm curious though, what is the reasoning behind MP before PC? Not saying you're wrong; just curious about the why of it.

Edited by GypsyBastard (01/26/21 03:40 PM)

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom
 User Gallery

#27171182 - 01/26/21 05:23 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Adding micropore tape before PC helps with contaminants. By using micropore tape, the rate of success is increased dramatically.

For example see this quote from RogerRabbit:

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
For best results, use both micropore tape and foil as they're for separate reasons.  The foil keeps water that drips off the lid of the pot from getting into the jars.  The micropore tape helps to prevent contaminants entering the jars after sterilization and before inoculation.  Always remove the foil as soon as the jars are removed from the sterilizer.
RR

OfflineLamuni1
Stranger
Male

Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Ziran]
    #27221789 - 02/23/21 10:02 AM (6 days, 23 hours ago)

amazing tek bro guessed it all. only thing i am concerned is infection. when jars will become white is it still vulnerable to infection?

--------------------
just wanna know where to get spore syrgine and chamber stuff

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Lamuni1]
    #27225238 - 02/25/21 06:29 AM (5 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Lamuni1 said:
amazing tek bro guessed it all. only thing i am concerned is infection. when jars will become white is it still vulnerable to infection?

once they are fully colonized they are contaminate resistant as the mycelium has a large foot hold on the substrate. they will most likely fruit 1 to 8 times then suffer contamination just like every other substrate does.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation