Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMarty_mcfresh
Eager Novice
 User Gallery
Loc: Pacific Northwest
With modern info, is LC/GLC still considered worth-it?
    #24178410 - 03/20/17 04:44 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

So I've been really grilling the search engine today and yesterday and I couldn't come across any opinions on the matter that were new, or hadn't been deleted. Anyway, I have a ton of agar cultures going right now in an incubator I started. They're going well (first big agar operation I've done so far), and when I have fully grown mono-cultures I plan on transferring each plate to its own grain jar, which is a tek I haven't done before, and using those grains to grow in bulk, also something I have not attempted before. However, I currently have nowhere to safely and discretely grow in bulk and can only do BRF cakes at the moment (I am also much more experienced in that field which makes it appealing). Obviously I don't want to waste fine agar cultures on the PF tek, and I don't even know how to use agar to inoculate brf anyway. So I thought I would cherry pick the finest genetics from one culture and use it to start two LME liquid cultures. I actually did just that yesterday. But now that I'm reading more about it, people say LC isn't considered worth it anymore, because of contamination and the such. I also just heard about GLC and I think I understand it, but not fully. Is GLC really more contam resistant? And worth it? And how exactly does it work? Any advice, particularly from a trusted cultivator would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
LC or no LC?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (03/20/17 04:00 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Edited by Marty_mcfresh (03/20/17 04:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleamidogen
see you on the other side

Re: With modern info, is LC/GLC still considered worth-it? [Re: Marty_mcfresh]
    #24178488 - 03/20/17 05:23 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

--------------------
The biggest trip of my life was realizing all of the events and actions described in posts made by this account were never real and had never actually happened, but were instead the delusional ramblings of a severely mentally ill human being. I just had to move on for my own good. I love you all.

Edited by amidogen (06/21/18 10:23 AM)

InvisibleAndyHinton

#24178494 - 03/20/17 05:28 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

LC and GLC have different base liquids and sugars. LC refers to water with any sugar. GLC refers to grain soak water with optional supplementation. Pasty's LC is the best. Squirt sterile water into colonized agar and shake daily for 2 weeks.

I'm moving toward Pasty's LC → GLC supplemented with 1/2 tsp LME → bulk bottles, with a detour to make LI for long-term storage. This is the most resource efficient path for me, especially when you consider species sequencing.

If you need to be discreet, think about how much material is entering and leaving your place. :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by AndyHinton (03/20/17 05:55 PM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: With modern info, is LC/GLC still considered worth-it? [Re: AndyHinton]
    #24178535 - 03/20/17 05:48 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

I mostly work with grain to grain transfers.
Master jars are inoculated with an agar wedge, which are then broken up and used to inoculate more spawn.

1 quart master is typically G2G'd into 10 more quarts, which can be G2G'd into 100 quarts.
After a grain to grain transfer the spawn will colonize pretty rapidly.

With a liquid culture you are expanding your culture out in liquid broth and it can be used to inoculate however much spawn directly.

It's two different ways of getting to the same place.
I prefer G2G but I think liquid culture is great. My advice would be to wait on working with liquids until you are experienced , unless you need a liquid inoculate for a specific application.

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflineMarty_mcfresh
Eager Novice
 User Gallery
Re: With modern info, is LC/GLC still considered worth-it? [Re: amidogen]
    #24178671 - 03/20/17 07:00 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

I understand bulk and PF take up relatively similar amounts of space, but the issue is that I need a safe space to begin with. Yes I am doing this kind of behind someone's back. They know I'm growing mushrooms, but they don't know they are psychedellic. I told them I am growing small amounts of inedible ones for fun, and they would probably wonder why I decided to move up to inoculating entire spawn bags and picking such huge amounts of "useless" mushies. So for now I need a way to inoculate BRF that is not ms, and without sacrificing all of my agar

OfflineMarty_mcfresh
Eager Novice
 User Gallery
    #24178678 - 03/20/17 07:02 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

So I guess one question I have is, is there a way to inoculate BRF cakes with just agar or grain? Like could I skip LC for now? I really don't want to just use MS syringes. Been there, done that. I would prefer better genetics this time around.

InvisibleChanga Alchemist
Shwift sauce lifeguard
Male User Gallery

Loc: 90+% Rh
    #24178699 - 03/20/17 07:11 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Is your roommate a brick that has never seen normal edible mushrooms before?

As someone mentioned above me you could get a filtered lid and skip the dry verm layer and inoculate with an agar wedge in a SAB.

Look into liquid inoculant. It's not LC and if you can do agar you can do LI in about 1 minute.

--------------------
:ganja::mushroom::mushroom::flyhigh:
:sporedrop:~~~:peyote::sanpedro:~~~:sporedrop:

:chugbeer:

Edited by Shomann (03/20/17 07:13 PM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: With modern info, is LC/GLC still considered worth-it? [Re: Changa Alchemist]
    #24178897 - 03/20/17 09:00 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Yea if you are inoculating BRF cakes from agar culture you can use a GE filter and inoculate it with a wedge

But better off with LI, a simple (and pretty old) way of doing this is to squirt sterile water onto a clean agar culture in the plate, agitate the myc and suck it back up.
Probably the best way to inoculate cakes via agar

If you're hiding this from somebody don't expect much love from the Shroomery man its generally pretty looked down upon here

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflineMarty_mcfresh
Eager Novice
 User Gallery
Re: With modern info, is LC/GLC still considered worth-it? [Re: mushpunx]
    #24178915 - 03/20/17 09:07 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Thank you for the info on LI, I've never heard of that before. As for the hiding it from people, I understand. It's just the only option I have at the moment (I'm currently looking to grow it somewhere else though), and 1) I have made sure my room mate would not be in ANY trouble if I am caught and 2) this guy is rather closed minded and I don't think he'd understand my harmless intentions if I told him what was up. I can't wait to move my operation to a more accepting household though as I do feel quite guilty right now. The guy loves watching all my procedures though, thinks they're really cool. And he appreciates me giving the house such a thorough cleaning so often so I suppose it is somewhat of a win-win.

Invisibleamidogen

#24178941 - 03/20/17 09:17 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

--------------------
The biggest trip of my life was realizing all of the events and actions described in posts made by this account were never real and had never actually happened, but were instead the delusional ramblings of a severely mentally ill human being. I just had to move on for my own good. I love you all.

Edited by amidogen (06/21/18 10:22 AM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: With modern info, is LC/GLC still considered worth-it? [Re: amidogen]
    #24178953 - 03/20/17 09:22 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Honestly I would wait until you move before continuing
Practice with edibles for now

As far as LI goes you can also sterilize water in an Eberbach (or homemade version using blender parts and mason jars) and you drop in an agar wedge , blend for a few seconds and that's your liquid inoculate

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Edited by mushpunx (03/20/17 09:23 PM)

OfflineMarty_mcfresh
Eager Novice
 User Gallery
Re: With modern info, is LC/GLC still considered worth-it? [Re: mushpunx]
    #24179233 - 03/20/17 11:54 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Thank you for all the helpful info you guys! And amidogen, I suppose you're probably pretty right there. I'm expecting access to a better place soon enough though and everyone involved with that has full knowledge of what is going on so perhaps I should in fact wait until then... getting caught on my own is one thing, but the very last thing I want to do is get someone else in trouble on my account.

Edited by Marty_mcfresh (03/20/17 11:56 PM)

Invisibleamidogen

#24179600 - 03/21/17 07:02 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

:awethumb:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck