Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

NBA players resting
    #24177204 - 03/20/17 09:40 AM (7 years, 28 days ago)

So what's the deal with all these players resting all the time? It seems to be an epidemic. No-name players nobody cares about, but many of these bigger stars are sitting frequently. If you're making over five million dollars (and some of these guys are making more than twenty) you really ought to be playing every single game for which you can dress. Back in the day, guys like Jordan, Malone, etc. played all 82. Jordan even played all 82 when he was 40 -- with the Wizards. They felt like it was their job, and they were right.

There are a lot of kids out there who get their parents to buy tickets to see LeBron James or Steph Curry the one night they come to town, and then they sit. Imo, it isn't right.

What do you guys think?

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBill_Oreilly
ANIMALS (the RAINBOW SERPENT)

Loc: Boston
Re: NBA players resting [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #24178131 - 03/20/17 03:02 PM (7 years, 28 days ago)

I agree. I absolutely hate it. They are being babies.

I wish the nba season wasnt a joke.

--------------------
Something there is mysteriously formed,
Existing before Heaven and Earth,
Silent, still, standing alone, unchanging,
All-pervading, unfailing,
I do not know its name; I call it tao.
If forced to give it a name, I call it
Great (ta). Being great, it flows out;
Flowing out means far-reaching;
Being far-reaching, it is said to return.

It's just a shot away..

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24179883 - 03/21/17 09:47 AM (7 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
What do you guys think?

It's super gay. I can't even fathom how the league allows the two best teams in the west to sit ALL of their stars when they meet.

I feel like athletes have a different idea of what greatness is now days. Those old school cats were about the grind.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: NBA players resting [Re: Ran-D]
    #24184568 - 03/22/17 09:34 PM (7 years, 26 days ago)

I was just watching the Jazz-Knicks game on ESPN, and they were saying that Stockton and Malone each played all 82 games -- 16 times.

:incredible:

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
    #24233200 - 04/10/17 06:30 PM (7 years, 7 days ago)

I'm 90% in agreement, but can see the other side

It really sucks when you pay the big money that tickets costs, and especially if you bring your kids to the game and their hero sits it out.

There would be no pro sports without the fans.

And no doubt the Birds, Jordans, Stocktons, and Malones, that generation and preceding ones wouldn't do it.

The other side is with the the 82 game schedule if you expect to go far in the playoffs it's such a grueling schedule. Not one of my favorites, but Lebron must get tired, and maybe that's one of the reasons his finals record isn't so good. Moving past that speculation, Greg Popovich is considered to be the best coach in the NBA because he has so many championships,and he is the most notorious "rester" in the game. It would be hard to argue against cause and effect.

Who knows? If Stockton and Malone got rested the Jazz might have been more effective against the Bulls in the finals. I'm not saying they would have won because the Bulls were a much deeper team and Jordan had an endgame killer instinct unparalleled since but matched by others earlier, such as Bill Russell. At any rate losing in 7 beats the shit out of losing in 6. It's only a one game difference but losing in 6 means you lost twice as many games as you won. If you take it to 7 and lose a close one you still have quite a bit of bragging rights IMO much more in the 3 sports that have 7 game playoff series than in football. In baseball winning the pennant is a time to rejoice, pouring champagne on everyone's head, even if you end up losing the World Series. In hockey there are weird superstitions. If you are presented with the Presidents Cup (just won by Washington) no player will dare touch the trophy. The only trophy you touch is Lord Stanley's Cup.

In Hockey resting players at the end of the season is common, if you have secured a satisfactory playoff seeding. But because the team size is different they barely screw over the fans in attendance. A good team can rest 2 but still put 6 stars on the ice. The Hawks who win the Cup nearly half the time play up to 120 games in their good years, plus the Olympics and World Cup. The latter are a real distraction to the NHL, but the Olympic is important to Canada because they win it. Also the Hawks seem to play more periods of overtime in the playoffs than any other team. When the Hawks don't win it all, we the fans prefer a first round loss as long as it looks good, like losing in overtime in game 7. At least the boys get rested for next season.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

Jump to top Pages: 1