Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD, Medical Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleAtreyu
Never Ending

Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff.
    #24166883 - 03/16/17 02:05 PM (2 months, 9 days ago)

Take a look at the photo above. That's what most marijuana consumers picture when they think “marijuana” — chunks of pungent green plant material coated in sticky, crystallized THC-rich resin.

But if you're a researcher looking to work with marijuana — to say, investigate how it impairs people, or how it could help people suffering from certain ailments — you don't have access to the weed that everyone else is using. Since the late 1960s the federal government has mandated that all marijuana used in research has to come through the federal government.

To investigate the real-world effects of marijuana, however, researchers need a product that looks and feels like the real thing. And they're increasingly frustrated with government weed that is something else entirely.

Don't take their word for it. The photo below shows a sample of federal marijuana distributed to Sue Sisley, a researcher who just embarked on a first-of-its-kind clinical trial to test the efficacy of medical marijuana for military veterans suffering from PTSD.

A quick glance confirms it looks nothing like the commercial marijuana depicted above. While the real stuff is chunky and dark green, the government weed is stringy and light in color. It appears to be full of stems, which most consumers don't smoke. “It doesn’t resemble cannabis. It doesn’t smell like cannabis,” Sisley told PBS NewsHour last week.

Jake Browne, a cannabis critic for the Denver Post's Cannabist marijuana news site, agrees. “That is, flat out, not a usable form of cannabis,” he said. Browne should know: He's reviewed dozens of strains professionally and is running a sophisticated marijuana growing competition called the Grow-Off.

“In two decades of smoking weed, I've never seen anything that looks like that,” Browne said. “People typically smoke the flower of the plant, but here you can clearly see stems and leaves in there as well, parts that should be discarded. Inhaling that would be like eating an apple, including the seeds inside it and the branch it grew on.”

It's unclear if this is an exceptionally bad batch, but there's reason to strongly suspect it's typical of what most researchers are given.

All federal marijuana is grown at a single facility at the University of Mississippi, overseen by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Last summer the DEA formally took steps to allow other entities to supply marijuana for research purposes. So far, none have been approved.

The problems with the Mississippi weed go well beyond aesthetics.

For instance, the pot grown there maxes out, potency-wise, at about 13 percent THC (the main chemical that gets you high). And that might be an overstatement — Sisley's own testing found that one of NIDA's strains purported to be 13 percent THC was actually closer to 8 percent.

By comparison, the typical commercial weed available in Colorado is at about 19 percent THC, according to a laboratory that tests commercial marijuana in the state. And that's just the average — some of the higher-end strains are pushing 30 percent THC or more.

For a researcher, it's difficult to assess the real-world impact of high-end pot if you only have access to the low-quality stuff. It's akin to investigating the effects of bourbon by giving people Bud Light.

For certain types of research this isn't necessarily a problem, says Rick Doblin, founding director of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, a group that's been working with Sisley on the PTSD trial. "[NIDA's] marijuana is fine if you want to do academic research,” Doblin said — studies that look at how marijuana affects the body in a laboratory setting, for instance.

But NIDA's weed doesn't pass muster if you want to know how marijuana use is affecting people in the real world. Or if you want to run highly controlled medical experiments, like the one Sisley and Doblin are working on. It's not even tested for some common contaminants, like yeast and mold, that many states now check for as part of their regulatory regimes.

Doblin said the marijuana they received from NIDA showed levels of mold and yeast that far exceeded standards for some states, like Colorado and Washington. Be they opted to go ahead with the trial since additional testing confirmed that none of the strains of mold and yeast found in the plant material posed a risk to humans.

In an email, a NIDA representative acknowledged that “there has been some emerging interest from the research community for a wider variety of marijuana and marijuana products. ... NIDA does plan on growing some additional marijuana this year and harvest some high THC material that will likely be above 13 percent THC.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/13/government-marijuana-looks-nothing-like-the-real-stuff-see-for-yourself/?utm_term=.72cdaa845711

--------------------

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletealeaf
Roots to the bone
 User Gallery

Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: Atreyu]
    #24167698 - 03/16/17 06:54 PM (2 months, 9 days ago)

The gov "herb" look identical to ground up hemp "buds"...........

--------------------
:dancingbear:

I make my own music, check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/matty_dread

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Vermin Sermon
Male User Gallery

Loc: cloudy mountain tops
Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: tealeaf]
    #24167888 - 03/16/17 08:17 PM (2 months, 9 days ago)

that makes the mexican schawg i got in middle school look solid, the shit that you had to dig out seeds or beans for an hour and lose half your weight.

--------------------

Offlineballsalsa
Moron
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Republic
    #24167904 - 03/16/17 08:28 PM (2 months, 9 days ago)

dude.  the government sucks at growing weed.  that is some skanky shit.  I don't even know how that happens.  I'm smoking some shit right now that was grown more or less wild in a yard and its pretty fucking good.  not the most dense nugs i've seen, for sure, but reasonably potent.  Equivalent to top shelf L.A. area club weed potency-wise.  tastes like dirt from being grown in dirt, but i actually prefer that.

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

Loc: babilonUSA
Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: ballsalsa]
    #24168304 - 03/16/17 10:49 PM (2 months, 9 days ago)

Daandg government sucks at everything (except sucking of course)

--------------------
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN

some came singing, some come to play, some come for keeping the dark away

Offlineperikleous
Stranger

Loc: EuroZone Victim
Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: tealeaf]
    #24168554 - 03/17/17 12:16 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

It looks like someone already harvested the buds and this was the remnants from the cleanup trimmings.
Crappy seed leads to crappy weed
Typical Gov move, they sold the buds and used the remnants for "science"

OfflineCaddilac
(*'
Male

Loc: WY. Flag
Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: perikleous]
    #24168590 - 03/17/17 12:28 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

I dont want no ravioli nigga.

OfflineExpsyted
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: Caddilac]
    #24169090 - 03/17/17 07:49 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

The government cannabis looks terrible, its like they purposely distribute terrible bud to make research difficult

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
 User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: perikleous]
    #24169188 - 03/17/17 09:33 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

perikleous said:
It looks like someone already harvested the buds and this was the remnants from the cleanup trimmings.
Crappy seed leads to crappy weed
Typical Gov move, they sold the buds and used the remnants for "science"

I don't think so. I have grown weed from some really terrible brickweed and all one has to do is separate the female. Not the best or really dense, but it sure was good!

Invisiblemycomyst
Alchemist
Male
Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #24169213 - 03/17/17 09:51 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

The picture of the Government cannabis looks like Mississippi ditch weed

OfflineUltraLiveResin
Stranger
Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: mycomyst]
    #24179780 - 03/21/17 10:54 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

This is bullshit. " We are hoping to break 13 percent this year" I would like to know what they are actually doing to achieve this.

They want low thc so tar to cannabinoid ratio is high. This is such a scam, like everything with big brother.

OfflinePezam
Edible Warrior
 User Gallery

Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: mycomyst]
    #24179807 - 03/21/17 11:13 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

mycomyst said:
The picture of the Government cannabis looks like Mississippi ditch weed

It is Mississippi ditch weed!!

--------------------

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: Minnesota, USA Flag
    #24186285 - 03/23/17 04:11 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Wow, they really give "smoking grass" a literal perspective... That shit looks like 4 Zig Zag brick weed.

--------------------
Life is a short warm moment, and death is a long cold rest. You get your chance to try, in the twinkling of an eye. Eighty years with luck or even less.
"It's bad karma to fuck with the stoned."- Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Offlinedurian_2008
cornucopian eating an elephant
 User Gallery

Re: Government marijuana looks nothing like the real stuff. [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #24188442 - 03/24/17 12:35 PM (2 months, 1 day ago)

Quote:

While the real stuff is chunky and dark green, the government weed is stringy and light in color. It appears to be full of stems, which most consumers don't smoke.

What if there were brownies. How can you prosecute someone, for just the mj. There seems to be a policy, of not separating the drugs.

I'm assuming this is a bureaucracy, and not a real research facility.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD, Medical Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Hemp

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service