Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

fractional sterilization of popcorn
    #2410464 - 03/09/04 09:04 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

I'm wanting to try out fractional sterilization of popcorn, but the only info on it i've found is purely speculative (e.g. "I can't see why it wouldn't work" or "It should work"). Can anybody give me a definitive answer as to whether or not tyndalization (steaming in a regular pot 3 times in three days) will work for popcorn? Please don't tell me that it should work or that it ought to work. Just tell me if you've tried it and it did or didn't work. I guess if no one knows i'll give it a shot and post the results, since i've got a couple syringes i need to use to make room for fresh spores.

Also, i've read in these forums that using the honey tek really doesn't do anything to speed colonization in popcorn. Can anyone give me any anecdotal evidence either way on this?

--------------------
It used to be that we loved little children. Now we eat them.
--Ira Hyde

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fractional sterilization of popcorn [Re: bathrobe] * 1
    #2410738 - 03/09/04 10:44 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

re: tyndalization, don't waste your spores, just let the jars sit and see if they spontaneously contam. If they don't after a week or two (incubated), then it worked, if they do, it didn't. No need to use spores to test sterilization, in fact that just muddies it because if you do innoculate them, you'll never know if the contam came from your spores, your innoculation method, or the jar itself.

re: honey tek, liquid mycelium will colonize any substrate faster than spores. You also get all the other benefits of liquid innoculates, such as the ability to turn limited amounts of spores into unlimited amounts of innoculate etc.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: fractional sterilization of popcorn [Re: bathrobe]
    #2411087 - 03/09/04 12:30 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

I'm off topic, go check the Marketplace forum. There is a contest for you there.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

Re: fractional sterilization of popcorn [Re: Joshua]
    #2414199 - 03/10/04 09:01 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Well... here it goes... i'll give it a shot and post the results. Rather than sit around waiting for the uninnoculated jars to contam, i'm just going to have a couple control jars and just do it in pint jars to avoid placing too many eggs in one basket, so to speak. Like i said, i've got some spores to burn since i've got few syringes and plenty of spore prints i'd like to try out. I also know that i've had very few jars contam with the syringes i've made, so my syringe and print making capabilities are plenty sound. if this works i'll move on to just innoculating these with agar isolates to circumambulate the whole problem of few syringes. i'm mostly working with stuff i stole from my university days in the bio lab, so plenty of agar and dishes, but only a couple syringes i've bummed off friends, and i'm trying to develop the ultra poor man's way to grow big and plentiful. i'll post my results, rain or shine.

--------------------
--Ira Hyde

OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
    #2414857 - 03/10/04 12:04 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I've done fractional sterilization of popcorn. 100% contams.

I wouldn't waste my time, if I were you.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: fractional sterilization of popcorn [Re: ChiLong]
    #2415079 - 03/10/04 12:45 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

If you performed fractional sterilization there would have been no contams, as the method implies sterilization of the substrate.

I am sure this will work with a proper technique.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

Re: fractional sterilization of popcorn [Re: ChiLong]
    #2415495 - 03/10/04 02:20 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

ah... finally some experience... thank you for the advice... time to suck it up and buy a PC, I guess... and all

--------------------
--Ira Hyde

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#2415611 - 03/10/04 02:39 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Com'on, just because it didn't work for one person your going to give it up?

I can't tell you how many failures in cultivation I see on this board. The people don't give up, they try again. They might use a new technique or improve on an old one. Just because a technique doesn't work for someone, doesn't mean it is useless...it just needs to be modified.

..and yes, you should buy a PC. The investment is well worth it.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

#2415622 - 03/10/04 02:41 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

ok... so i lied... here's what i'm trying and why:
hydrated 24 hours in a 50 coffee/50 water soln and simmered for 1 hr in same soln
let drain for 30 mins and towel dried
mixed in a couple tablespoons of oystershell (to raise pH and hopefully scare away contams)
filled 12 1 pint jars with 1/2 inch of dry verm (to hold water)
filled jar 1 inch from top with popcorn
added another 1/2 inch of dry verm (to give it a little bit more of a barrier from outside contams)
covered jars with lids with two holes, rubber seal side down (to ensure air is only coming from the filtered hole). one is pencil thickness with polyfill shoved in, the other is just right for a syringe and covered with black electrical tape.
let these jars incubate at 80 degrees for 2 days (to get as many of the contam spores to germinate as possible)
steam for 1 hour
incubate 2 days
steam for 1 hour
incubate 2 days
steam for one hour and let come to room temp inside the pot (previous tyndalization teks call for one day incubation in b/w steaming, but since even the fastest PF jars don't show germination for 2 days i figured why not let em sit longer and give them more of a chance to germinate)
use oven tek to innoculate the jars with mycelium syringes made from a honey tek: using one tsp of honey and 200 mL water and 2 mL from a very purple PES hawaiian syringe-- honey soln was nuked 5 mins in butter tub with saran wrap cover and loose lid, then allowed to cool in microwabve 20 mins before nuking 5 mins again, since i forgot about it... immediately covered with lid tightly and stuck in fridge to cool for 30 mins to room temp... innocked with spores through saran wrap cover using oven tek for sterility and regular cover put back on, tub immediately put inside 80 degree incubator...

anyway... irealize this is disorganized, but i'm off to the beach soon and don't want to miss the good daylight hours... any suggestions are welcome, and thank you for having confidence in the fact that this can be done... i'm frustrated that every grain tek calls for a PC

I won't waste your time with pics unless i get any positive results, but if i get all contamed i'll at least let everyone know that it didn't work. after all, negative results are just as useful as positive results when it comes to science..

--------------------
--Ira Hyde

Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

#2415634 - 03/10/04 02:43 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

oops... i meant lower pH with the oyster shell, not raise it

--------------------
--Ira Hyde

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2415664 - 03/10/04 02:48 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I fractional sterlaize my wbs and i have 0 contams. I dont see why some people say things as stupid as 100% contams. You may want to add some extra water because they dry out from so much boiling.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#2415671 - 03/10/04 02:50 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Sounds like a fine plan!!
I look forward to hearing your results.

The shorter incubation times are good. If any contaminant spores germinate, they will release enzymes that can alter the substrate. The alteration of your substrate from ideal is not good.

I hope you enjoy the beach. I know our coast has been very beautiful and warm lately.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

Re: fractional sterilization of popcorn [Re: Joshua]
    #2417069 - 03/10/04 10:09 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I look forward to sharing. Thank you for the encouraging words.

--------------------
--Ira Hyde

Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

#2529830 - 04/05/04 10:59 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

so... i followed the exact recipe as above, but i experimented with water content, and added varying amounts to each jar. the only jars to show growth so far were those to which i added no extra water, and even those were a tad wet, since i only saw the first growth a week ago after they'd had a chance to dry out a bit. i've had 2 jars contam and three jars are showing 15%-50% mycelium growth, 2 of which i've already shaken. (pictures anyone, or do you trust me? i'm lazy). anyway, there's the current progress. the pressure cooker's in the mail.

--------------------
--Ira Hyde

Offlinelanmower
Stranger
    #18140018 - 04/20/13 12:05 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I did it for my first grow, three failed (my mistake with the lids, and two succeeded, proof of successful sterilization. I have since learnt a lot and acquired a pressure cooker.

What I did was mix popcorn with 10% compost and coffee mix (I also used some coconut hair, I wouldn't repeat that it's hell to work with and i put it in a pillow slope before cooking for easy straining. The first day I cooked and drained the bunch and bottled it.

The second two days had jars standing in water in a broken pressure cooker, standing in an electric frying pan with more water. I did three days.

Make it worth your own efforts, use some peat moss, compost or coffee to help control the moisture because the substrate gets a bit overcooked, and do an extra day. One hour at a time once it reaches temperature.

I would also strongly recommend getting millet or a millet, black rape and sesame mix (mixed birdseed) from a pet store instead of popcorn, its cheaper.

Offlinelanmower
Stranger
Re: fractional sterilization of popcorn [Re: lanmower]
    #18140027 - 04/20/13 12:08 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

A word on lids use lids with silicone on one side (any kind is fine but rtv if you can afford it) and polyfil from a pet store or an upholstery store (very cheap) if you can't get polyfil (they use it in fish tank filters) to stuff the hole you can use cotton but sterile cotton isn't nearly as good a filter as polyfil because it will either colonize a bit or contaminate.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fractional sterilization of popcorn [Re: lanmower]
    #18140807 - 04/20/13 03:42 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

:oldthread:        :feelsoldman: 

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Let old threads die the death they deserve.

If you don't wish to sterilize by traditional proved methods, you can simply boil as in the
brf tek for 8 hours and this will sterilize grains.  Fractional sterilization is a failed tek that has been disproved for many years.
RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16725278#16725278

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If you steamed the grains for 8 hours, then you can consider them sterile enough to give the mycelium time to reach full colonization.  The old 'fractional sterilization' teks don't work 90% of the time, but steaming for 8 hours works 100% of the time for me and I'm not at sea level, but in the mountains.
RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17397016#17397016

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds