Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBuchu
the intangible

Loc: Interzone, Canada
Jars right in the water?
    #2415551 - 03/10/04 02:28 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Did I goof?
I put jars (6 x 1/2 pints, BRF, polyfil in lids) into three inches of water, in a small rubermaid, with a submerrsible aquarium heater warming the water. (Yeah, not container within container, just water right into the same place as the jars.)
Then I thought to myself;
Could contams breed in the water and some how fight through the polyfil? Should I ad a teeny-tiny bit of bleach to the water?? I should follow the techs, but...I did it, and I wonder if the bottles are doomed. (btw, I just innoc'd last night)
Thanks for any advice/predictions.

--------------------
Note: "awareness spectrum" narcotics are frequently fatal except to desensitized individuals capable of transforming the poison-configuration within their own bodies.
Frank Herbert, Dune

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFick_Duck
Truffle Shuffle
Male

Loc: The Hamburger Train
Re: Jars right in the water? [Re: Buchu]
    #2415728 - 03/10/04 03:03 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

That may work. Its just easier to use two rubbermaids, temps would be steadier throughout that way. Do a search for an incubator youll find what im talkin about.

--------------------
"To know life you must fuck it in the liver." -Dr. Frankenstein, Andy Warhols Frankenstein

Anonymous

#2415736 - 03/10/04 03:06 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

you could always use a jar of water with the heater in it inside the rubbermaid... not as messy and you already have everything you need, except the big jar (use a pickle jar or something). good luck.

OfflineBuchu
the intangible

Re: Jars right in the water? [Re: ]
    #2415800 - 03/10/04 03:22 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Indeed it would have been better to use a jar, but the dang heater is sooo long, longer then my container is tall, so i would have had to buy a taller Rubbermaid, and god knows I've spent enough on this hobby already!
But alas, I will need a taller one to do the fruiting...

Oh, and for future reference, instead of using a pickle jar as suggested above, wouldn't a metal container of some sort be better? Like a coffee tin or something? That would give better radiation, no? This also seems like a better idea then Rubbermaid within Rubbermaid to me also, for the simple act that plastic/rubber are insulators, not conductors...
But hey, I be a newbie...

--------------------
Note: "awareness spectrum" narcotics are frequently fatal except to desensitized individuals capable of transforming the poison-configuration within their own bodies.
Frank Herbert, Dune

OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
    #2416016 - 03/10/04 04:22 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

I feel like the only sort of problem you could get with
the jars sitting directly in the water is that you won't
be available to put them upside-down to increase the
colonization speed, when it will be 60 % colonized...

But anyway, just some days to wait more :wink:

--------------------

OfflineBuchu
the intangible

Re: Jars right in the water? [Re: Mex]
    #2416744 - 03/10/04 08:25 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Actually, I found another problem allready...it's my own dumb fault; I turned the aquarium heater on, went to class, came home and it was at 90 degrees, okay, not too bad--but I had the lid on the Rubbermaid, and the condensation on the top of the lid got onto the polyfil. I am worried that contams will get through the polyfil rather easily since it is damp (or was damp, I simply opened the box and it dried).....real problem was using such a small box...should have given the tops of the jars more room.
Well, I'll have to wait and see if that wetness was enough to fuck me.
What a learning process.

--------------------
Frank Herbert, Dune

OfflineGanjaNamja
enthusiast

#2417117 - 03/10/04 10:22 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

i was also wondering the same thing...except i wouldn't be using polyfil on the lids...just the holes on top...i don't really want to spend more money and an extra rubbermaid...at least for my first grow

OfflineBuchu
the intangible

Re: Jars right in the water? [Re: GanjaNamja]
    #2417262 - 03/10/04 11:07 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

I dunno GanjaNamja, the more I think about it, the more I whish I had really done the two rubbermaid deal...cos in the end you'll need a big container to fruit in anyways...you may aswell bite the bullet and go get two of the big mothers (or one and do the pickle jar, or my idea, coffee tin with the heater in it.)

--------------------
Frank Herbert, Dune

OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

#2417331 - 03/10/04 11:31 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

I would strongly suggest taking those jars out of that incubator. I used that small heater in a glass for my first incubator and didnt cover the top of the glass with tin foil, and the humidity it produced ruined my jars. I lost about 9 jars from it. Exposing your jars too humidity before they are ready not good. or if you do make sure you cover all points of the jar that could leak with foil so the condensation does not get in the jars.

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

OfflineBuchu
the intangible

Re: Jars right in the water? [Re: Akrobatik]
    #2422074 - 03/12/04 02:02 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Yeah, I made a new incubator tonight. Put the heater into a vodka cooler bottle--turned out to be a perfect fit--and put that into a new, bigger rubbermaid (and lined that with foil.) Like I said, the heater's fit in the bottle is perfect, so no, or very very little, moisture is gonna escape.
Also I made a new batch of jars, without polyfil.
So lets see which batch makes it.
Thanks for the advice.

--------------------
Frank Herbert, Dune

Offlinewicish1
Mr. Myco Moron

Loc: Shithole, USA
    #2422740 - 03/12/04 05:41 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

jono1 said:
you could always use a jar of water with the heater in it inside the rubbermaid... not as messy and you already have everything you need, except the big jar (use a pickle jar or something). good luck.

This is how I do it and it works very well!! Use a big cooler though, the temperature stays more stable inside the cooler than a rubbermaid because of the insulation.. Be sure to use something with a lid for your heater to keep the humidity down inside the cooler!

--------------------
How many times do I have to tell you, I was running through the woods and tripped on some mushrooms!!! Well, at least I'm not lying.:crazy:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix