Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: Strumpling]
    #2408887 - 03/08/04 08:37 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Strumpling said:
this is crazy man what the fuck.....

All I ask is that people of the Shroomery not attempt to "retaliate" or get revenge because this could probably get way worse if these people know what they're doing

Yes, I couldn't agree more! :cool:

I might add that the primary concern of the staff of The Shroomery is always the continued smooth operation of this web-site for our members. Besides, we're not the revenge type -- we've been enlightened by the magic mushroom... :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2408894 - 03/08/04 08:39 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Hagbard and all else who have offered monetary support:

In terms of a firewall, we are definitely looking into getting some sturdy hardware up and running to protect our site from limited attacks.  Unfortunately, the scope of the recent attacks were of such a large scale that even the best firewall could not have protected us.  The guilty party simply jammed the pipes with too much bogus traffic, resulting in the droppage of all the valid connections.  This isn't to say a firewall won't protect us from some attacks, and we are looking into it.  However, at this time we do not have an avenue setup for donations and have not even considered it to be quite honest. 

We are working our best to solve these issues, but the bottom line is that we are on a very rocky road right now and need to think through our course of action very carefully.  We do appreciate the many many people who have offered to support the Shroomery financially as well as all the wonderful members who just continue to call the Shroomery their home away from home, but at this time no donations are being accepted at least until we have a very solid plan laid out such that everyone knows what exactly their money is going towards :mushroom2:

Even then, I am weary of accepting donations - I do really appreciate it don't get me wrong, but I'd rather see this site as self-sufficient as possible.  Again, thank you :heart:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineSporeX
Criminal
Male

Loc: Dark side of the shroom
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: geokills]
    #2409101 - 03/08/04 09:31 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Keep up the good work guys. Viva La Shroomery

--------------------
Behold on the horizon a pale horse, and behind it hell followed.

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2409155 - 03/08/04 09:42 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

viva la shroomery!
the ones with good intentions will always prevail!

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

#2410764 - 03/09/04 10:52 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I was just wanting to link a post there.

Alot of stuff has happened recently...
And this denial of service attack does make me wonder about someone.
I wont mention names in public....but this looks really incriminating...

We should all talk about this software that Anno was talking about.
If we need it...lets get it.

Ralphster44

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2410783 - 03/09/04 10:58 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

what other information does your isp have to offer? was it a ddos attack? was there a clear orginator? was it just spoofed packets?

mainly, are there any actions being taken to at least make an attempt at putting some specifics to the crime?

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
    #2410994 - 03/09/04 12:10 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

here's an example of some defensive products http://www.cs3-inc.com/mananet.html

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: MetaShroom]
    #2412411 - 03/09/04 08:25 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

That wouldnt help unless the colocation provider for shroomery decided to put that stuff up.

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: Barbi]
    #2413444 - 03/10/04 01:06 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

When you move hosts to Canada (..) why not find a host that already has that stuff?

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: amyloid]
    #2413475 - 03/10/04 01:20 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

are there any actions being taken to at least make an attempt at putting some specifics to the crime?

Yes.

It's difficult to administrate a community that's not available, and as such, our number one priority is finding ways to at least lessen the consequence of these attacks we are receiving. The administration, along with many third-party consultants, is actively engaged in analyzing our current situation and discussing which courses of action we should be taking, keeping in mind our very limited budget.

Rest assured, attempting to prevent these attacks to the best of our ability has superseeded all other planned operations. These massive scale bandwidth jams we've been experiencing are truly difficult to deal with and I would hope that whomever is responsible in the least would have the decency to express to us what their motives are behind this whole mess so that we might avoid a similar such bogus conflict in the future.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

#2415349 - 03/10/04 01:52 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
Quote:

The administration, along with many third-party consultants, is actively engaged in analyzing our current situation and discussing which courses of action we should be taking, keeping in mind our very limited budget.

Maybe if you outlined your current budget people could see where they should donate or not. Maybe someone would donate the hardware if they saw you were in real need. Personally I remember the Shroomery was going to setup a $5000 "slush fund" in case something like this happened. Where is that money now? Where is the dedication the admins once had for this site? You have geokills, papaver, Thor, Ythan, Vampire999, Anno, Seuss... you're telling me you can't come up with enough money to get rid of this problem? That youre actually thinking about accepting donations??..

You're making a few thousand a month in banner revenue... where is all that going?

Maybe if you were a little less "high and mighty", and were a little more down to earth, you wouldn't have these problems. Especially if you didn't allow people like mndfreeze to degrade the quality of this site.. by his posts, and by doing illegal things with his server that you host. Why don't you save the money by not hosting his server, and put the money to good use.

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: 3DSHROOM]
    #2415474 - 03/10/04 02:16 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

> I remember the Shroomery was going to setup a $5000 "slush fund" in case something like this happened.

Yes, I wonder why we haven't been able to save that up yet... :smirk:

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

#2415527 - 03/10/04 02:24 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

> Maybe someone would donate the hardware if they saw you were in real need

We have already received a very positive response from our community and many have offered to send us monetary contributions.  However, until we have the problem simplified to the lowest common denominators and a plan of action laid out, we are not going to accept people's money.  That said, I appreciate all the generosity and love that people have been showing here and would like to thank everyone for their offers, and just for being a part of this community :heart:

> Shroomery was going to setup a $5000 "slush fund" in case
> something like this happened. Where is that money now?

3D, your petty attacks outlined by the above quote is in the least annoying, but also just downright assholish :smirk: 
I hate to stray off topic but I feel obligated to defend the administration: You took the community's servers in December when we offered you a more than fair position to work with us on the site as an equal partner.  You also took most of December's vendor revenues.  Since the administration today is primarily concerned with keeping this community alive and fair business practice, we credited our vendors for any fees they had paid for December since the site was offline a lot.  These were fees we never even received in the first place that we ended up taking twice the burden for since you ran with the original receipts.

> you're telling me you can't come up with enough money to get rid of this problem?

I doubt any amount of money would completely absolve us from the scale of the attacks we have been receiving.  The internet, ISPs, and hosting companies everywhere would have to upgrade their infrastructure to prevent the type of attacks we've been seeing.  That being said, the administration has consistently been pouring in thousands of dollars of our own money (the majority of which Vampire has been contributing for new hardware) to keep this site as stable as possible.  We're not rich by any means 3D, do you want us to go pawn off our personal possessions as a sacrifice that might not even provide a proportionate benefit? 

You're being extreme and I am very disappointed in the way you present yourself and your arguments.  I hope not many will fall into your deceptive statements.

> You're making a few thousand a month in banner revenue

Many vendors up and left ship after the changes at the beginning of 2004 and we have only been rebuilding our old vendor group.  Though I don't have the numbers right in front of me, we are currently taking in less than $2,000/month, all of which is going towards replacing what we lost (what you took), paying for hosting, and expanding our own infrastructure.  I will also add that in a few months we will be making regular (perhaps biannual) statements of our monetary situation to all members of the staff in efforts to alleviate all these ridiculous implications of embezzlement. 

You Suck :mad:

Edit: I just looked up the April vendor balance and total unrealized income is $1,650... far less than your quoted "few thousand" - not to mention less $660 hosting for the month and heaps more than we even have for hardware.  You sir, are an ass for personally attacking the administration.  If you have legitimate concerns then make them - but to make blatent assumptions is just evil :thumbdown:

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Edited by geokills (03/10/04 02:29 PM)

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: MetaShroom]
    #2415876 - 03/10/04 03:40 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

MetaShroom said:
When you move hosts to Canada (..) why not find a host that already has that stuff?

Limelight networks, the current host, already has such things in place. However all it doesis drop the ddos on te edge network.. along with every other packet intended for the machine. Its not possible to differentiate between DDOS traffic and normal traffic since its spread out from multiple computers on peoples home cable modems etc.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2415901 - 03/10/04 03:45 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

3DSHROOM said:
Quote:

geokills said:
Quote:

The administration, along with many third-party consultants, is actively engaged in analyzing our current situation and discussing which courses of action we should be taking, keeping in mind our very limited budget.

Maybe if you outlined your current budget people could see where they should donate or not. Maybe someone would donate the hardware if they saw you were in real need. Personally I remember the Shroomery was going to setup a $5000 "slush fund" in case something like this happened. Where is that money now? Where is the dedication the admins once had for this site? You have geokills, papaver, Thor, Ythan, Vampire999, Anno, Seuss... you're telling me you can't come up with enough money to get rid of this problem? That youre actually thinking about accepting donations??..

You're making a few thousand a month in banner revenue... where is all that going?

Maybe if you were a little less "high and mighty", and were a little more down to earth, you wouldn't have these problems. Especially if you didn't allow people like mndfreeze to degrade the quality of this site.. by his posts, and by doing illegal things with his server that you host. Why don't you save the money by not hosting his server, and put the money to good use.

Always out to start a flamewar. There is nothing illegal on my box and if you feel there is such things please contact your local law enforcement agency and file a complaint. Nothing you say or do is going to affect my box so you might as well give up your petty attempts to slander me with bullshit.

Second, im *SURE* you know that money doesnt buy off DDOS attacks. The only thing it might buy is somsone who knows who it is to give up there name. Are you for sale 3d?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2415917 - 03/10/04 03:50 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

I always have been an asshole, but I realize now I'm still an asshole wanna-be. You are the asshole king.

All hail King Asshole!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
    #2416819 - 03/10/04 08:57 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

3DSHROOM said:
Quote:

geokills said:
Quote:

Maybe if you outlined your current budget people could see where they should donate or not.  Maybe someone would donate the hardware if they saw you were in real need.  Personally I remember the Shroomery was going to setup a $5000 "slush fund" in case something like this happened.  Where is that money now?  Where is the dedication the admins once had for this site?  You have geokills, papaver, Thor, Ythan, Vampire999, Anno, Seuss... you're telling me you can't come up with enough money to get rid of this problem?  That youre actually thinking about accepting donations??..

Maybe if you were a little less "high and mighty", and were a little more down to earth, you wouldn't have these problems.  Especially if you didn't allow people like mndfreeze to degrade the quality of this site.. by his posts, and by doing illegal things with his server that you host.  Why don't you save the money by not hosting his server, and put the money to good use.

So petty and pathetic  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

What a waste.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
    #2417096 - 03/10/04 10:16 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

3DSHROOM said:
You have geokills, papaver, Thor, Ythan, Vampire999, Anno, Seuss... you're telling me you can't come up with enough money to get rid of this problem?

Are you trying to blackmail us?

What you're doing is illegal, and so are the DoS attacks, which account for a large loss of income to shroomery.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: TinMan]
    #2418141 - 03/11/04 04:29 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

TinMan said:
Quote:

3DSHROOM said:
You have geokills, papaver, Thor, Ythan, Vampire999, Anno, Seuss... you're telling me you can't come up with enough money to get rid of this problem?

Are you trying to blackmail us?

What you're doing is illegal, and so are the DoS attacks, which account for a large loss of income to shroomery.

Dude, Tin Man, watch your word selection. Here you are, acusing 3D of blackmail by taking 3D's words out of context. You did it like a smooth polititian. However, if you re-read your own post, you'll find it can be just as easily misunderstood.

It could read like you are acusing 3D of Blackmail AND the DOS attacks:

"What you're doing is illegal, and so are the DoS attacks"

I know, you were making a different point entirely but your post can be easily misunderstood... unlike 3D's post. Blackmail? That? You are stretching Tin Man.

Be very careful with your word selection. You are a mod, you know how conspiracy happy most Shroomerites are. It takes very little to get everybody pointing fingers.

That would be letting the terrorists win :tongue: .

Mods and admins need to be careful what they say in public about thie DOS attacks. You guys have access to mod forums. A poorly written statement can easily imply you know more than you actually do... especially to the conspiracy loving Shroomerites.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: Rose]
    #2418224 - 03/11/04 05:46 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

You might says he is stretching the point, but to me
I also read 3ds post as, give me some money and I'll
give you back YOUR servers.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom