Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: At The Gates
Pressure Cooker
    #24152311 - 03/10/17 07:45 PM (7 years, 20 days ago)

I just bought an all American Pressure Cooker. 21.5 qt capacity, I guess its the 921 model. I have the option of choosing the 3 year($9.51) or 4 year warranty($13.88). I have no experience with this brand or model. Can someone tell me if I should get the warranty with it. I think I still have until it delivers to buy the warranty, and they don't seem to too expensive. Not sure if its necessary, seems like a hunk of metal, what could go wrong, right?

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek
My Agrocybe Aegerita Grow Log

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24152473 - 03/10/17 08:46 PM (7 years, 20 days ago)

I don't know shit about the model, but check the price of seals, safety pressure relief thingy, etc. and see if it's worth it.

That ain't much money to spend for a warranty, but usually overall it isn't worth it, or they wouldn't sell them if they didn't make money.

For example, I've been using for 4 years now a $60 pressure cooker I bought from walmart.  Never had to replace anything on it or had it fail, long as I keep that big seal oiled with some olive or coconut oil. 

Good brand like that, you probably don't need the warranty, but for $13?  You don't have much to lose.  But statistically, you won't need to use the warranty and it will be a waste of $13. 

Any major manufacturing defect should show up much sooner, and should be covered by the standard warranty (I'm assuming they have one?)

Warranties are almost always a scam.  They know how long their shit will work for, and sell you a warranty that will expire right before the major parts fail.  It's just another way to make a little extra money.  They wouldn't sell you a $13 4 year warranty if it was common for people to have to use it, or they would lose money.  Simple economics.  But hey, if it makes ya feel better, get the warranty - peace of mind may be worth $13 to ya.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Forrester]
    #24152673 - 03/10/17 10:11 PM (7 years, 20 days ago)

I would not get a warranty. I have the same canner, and I can't see myself ever replacing anything aside from the blowout plug, which is a few bucks itself. Mine looks and runs the same as when I got it a few years ago.

It is a great tool and will take you far if you use it well! Once you get the hang of it and know how it works in and out, check out this thread.

--------------------
My favorite threads

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: magicMerlin]
    #24152994 - 03/11/17 01:35 AM (7 years, 20 days ago)

Thanks for the Info. Great advice. I know warranty's are b.s. Its just a dime to mark up the price. I only buy them on items with mechanical parts that move or are controlled by electric panel. i.e. dishwasher, washer and dryer, or are items that are highly technical in nature, i.e. smart TV, XBOX. I would have to say that all of the items I just listed I have bought warranties for and I have used the warranties at some point in the past. Warranties that I bought and have not used would include mostly items without the moving parts or panels, like this pressure cooker, which has very few moving parts and is not electric. So I will probably skip out. Well, on second thought.....

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24153850 - 03/11/17 12:07 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

I've had my AA 921 for about 3 years now and it's just fine. It's a metal on metal seal so no worries about gaskets, etc. I honestly couldn't see myself ever having to replace anything on it- it's why I went AA in the first place- I've never heard anything bad about them.

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: TravelAgency]
    #24153923 - 03/11/17 12:35 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

What about the gage, the pressure release and the locking bolts, anything foreseeable that might need replaced or is it pretty sturdy?

I couldn't find the 921 for under $250.00, most were $399.00 for days and then last night I found a seller with 17 brand new ones selling for $116.00 a piece. I posted it on a different thread. They are all gone. Those things flew off the shelf at that price. I was concerned it was a scam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&tag=theshro-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&location=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S88Z?m=AQ5IINJYVNVK&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineBabaji
Stranger
    #24154459 - 03/11/17 04:36 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

The best pressure cooker I have owned is the Presto 23 qt. I have had it for 4 years and havent replaced anything yet. About $90 but you never need another!

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Babaji]
    #24154541 - 03/11/17 05:04 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

Thought about that one, but everybody says All-American in the one to get, Idk, I just got one.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

#24154610 - 03/11/17 05:29 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Mushenstein said:
Thought about that one, but everybody says All-American in the one to get, Idk, I just got one.

It's the way to go if you plan to stick with this hobby. I could get by forever with a Presto but my AA is just a little nicer in every way. Plus, I did the stopcock modification and I could never go back to a rocker weight.

--------------------
My favorite threads

OfflineBabaji
Stranger
    #24154659 - 03/11/17 05:47 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

STOPCOCK MODIFICATION?! NO ROCKER?!!?! WHAT?!

Please tell me more...

<3 Babaji

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24154807 - 03/11/17 06:38 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

magicMerlin said:
Quote:

Mushenstein said:

It's the way to go if you plan to stick with this hobby. I could get by forever with a Presto but my AA is just a little nicer in every way. Plus, I did the stopcock modification and I could never go back to a rocker weight.

You lost me. Is this something I will need to do on the 921. I am going from an electric to the AA, So I don't have much experience otherwise.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

#24155152 - 03/11/17 08:18 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

No it's nothing required at all. The AA921 is fine to use right out of the box. The "stopcock modification" involves removing the rocker and replacing it with a sterilizer stopcock valve made by the same manufacturer. You also replace the blowout plug so it operates correctly. This has a few advantages (silent PC cycle, no water loss, holds a vacuum). Everything should be covered in this thread, there are lots of good comments to read too.

--------------------
My favorite threads

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24155680 - 03/12/17 09:50 AM (7 years, 18 days ago)

I'm not understanding what your saying about the "stop cock". The thread you sited, and I thank you for that, mentions a red pressure release button, which I ordered, and a pressure control valve. I believe I have found that as well, but its $35.00, not $20.00 like cited in the thread. Is there something else I am not looking at.

From what I can deduce the pressure release valve is no longer manufactured, they made a new replacement part and its pretty pricy. If you can confirm it is the right one I will buy it. I had no idea the 921 made noise at pressure, my electric, although only goes to 11.6 psi, runs as quite as the night, gets to pressure on its own in 5 minutes, and has a warming setting which runs constantly at 165 degrees, (proper pasteurization temperature. So there are a lot of comforts I have come to enjoy about the electric canners. Still, it is no match for the All-american 15psi. But I would appreciate if someone can confirm the right part for me.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

#24157031 - 03/12/17 07:12 PM (7 years, 18 days ago)

Here it is for $16.90 from my favorite Shroomery sponsor. It's available on the manufacturer's website for $35.99; why do you think it's no longer manufactured?

It is All American part #65

--------------------
My favorite threads

OfflinePezam
Edible Warrior
 User Gallery

#24157211 - 03/12/17 08:13 PM (7 years, 18 days ago)

I've never had an AA fail in over 10 years of growing.

--------------------

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24157335 - 03/12/17 09:14 PM (7 years, 18 days ago)

Nice, I am on it.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
    #24158596 - 03/13/17 11:52 AM (7 years, 17 days ago)

Dont tell them your buying a stopcock for a regular AA. Some suppliers don't want to sell them for conversion. If questioned tell them it's for the autoclave.

--------------------

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24161320 - 03/14/17 10:54 AM (7 years, 16 days ago)

This is probably a dumb question, my last PA was electric, how do I regulate the PSI if this plug/valve does not release steam at 15 psi? I mean, if I leave the heat on, will it not just keep climbing in PSI?

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
    #24161854 - 03/14/17 02:45 PM (7 years, 16 days ago)

It releases at 18-20 or so. You regulate the heat to keep it at 15 psi. If you do that it is silent and uses little or no water. I put 2 quarts in my 941 for a 3 hour run.

--------------------

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Quadman]
    #24165618 - 03/15/17 10:41 PM (7 years, 15 days ago)

You turn down the heat on your stove. I would run the cooker like it comes with the rocker at least once to learn how it runs, and how and when to regulate the pressure with your stove dial.

With the stopcock the vessel holds pressure a lot better so turning your stove dial down might not affect the pressure as fast as it would with a rocker. I can see this being intimidating if you are running it for the first time and are not sure how to regulate pressure. Practice and safety!

--------------------
My favorite threads

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Pezam]
    #24165754 - 03/16/17 12:10 AM (7 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Pezam said:

This.

There's no seal, its a machined metal to metal finish. Its about 20 lbs of cast and machined aluminum. No warranty needed. Unless you do something dumb, that PC will be handed down to your kids in your will.

I dropped my lid once and bent the gauge.  A new one on Amazon cost me $25. It didnt need it to work but my CDO couldn't let it go.

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24167972 - 03/16/17 07:02 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Will do. Your right, it is best to figure out how the damn thing works before modifying it. I bought the updated parts about a week after the PC. So I should have a few days mess'n with it before I put the updates on. I would have to say that my electric power cooker from late night TV has made me lazy. Push a button and it does the rest. It Only has to have a cup of water in it to run, and when you need proper pasteurization you just put it on warm. Press a button and wait 2 hours to get you sub up to temp, 165 degrees, and then 2 more hours at temp. easiest pasteurization method in the world.

Although It will be nice to have jars not contam so easy. I have wasted a lot of grains and jars, and lids because that thing only went to 11.6 psi. However, I will be keeping it in use for sterilizing syringes, LC's, and non organic items. Metal, glass and water are pretty easy to sterilize in my electric.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #24167982 - 03/16/17 07:04 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

wildernessjunkie said:
Quote:

Pezam said:

No warranty needed. Unless you do something dumb, that PC will be handed down to your kids in your will.

:fuckyeah:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #24168095 - 03/16/17 07:42 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

i picked up a 1960s model made in the same foundry for $10, works like a charm even the pressure gauge.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: drake89]
    #24171845 - 03/18/17 09:14 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Oh, this is wonderful. I just found out this morning that the AA 921 I bought over a week ago, and never came, is a product sale scam. Damn, I knew it was too good to be true. A 921 for $116.00. Yeah, I'm gullible. Also, I have the AA upgrade parts coming in the mail. Already ordered and paid for. So I will have upgrades for a PC that I don't have. Awesome. Just keeps getting better. :freewilly:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

#24172823 - 03/18/17 04:56 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Noooooooo
:frown:

--------------------
My favorite threads

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
    #24173041 - 03/18/17 06:39 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Mushenstein said:
Oh, this is wonderful. I just found out this morning that the AA 921 I bought over a week ago, and never came, is a product sale scam. Damn, I knew it was too good to be true. A 921 for $116.00. Yeah, I'm gullible. Also, I have the AA upgrade parts coming in the mail. Already ordered and paid for. So I will have upgrades for a PC that I don't have. Awesome. Just keeps getting better. :freewilly:

If you still have them come next friday, I might take them off your hands if you don't want them.

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #24173226 - 03/18/17 08:27 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Well, after getting corn holed this morning and then almost getting shnooked again on LetGo.com this afternoon I broke down and bought a new one off of amazon LLC. They will have that AA 921 sittin in their warehouse and will have a floor robot drag it a half mile around that city sized building up to the ass end of a cargo plane and dump that shit right on top of my god damn house. I mean, what the fuk, is everybody trying to rip off everybody else??? What kinda fist fuk world has this become. Everybody bending everybody else over. Hell with the Russian's, North Koreans and the lot of them, we are killing ourselves quicker then they will ever do it.

I'm just saying, man...what the hell!

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
    #24173231 - 03/18/17 08:30 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

I hear you completely.

But come Friday if yourass is still loose.....

:wink:Just say'n...

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24174528 - 03/19/17 11:22 AM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Mushenstein said:

i had this happen with a camera 3 weeks ago, off amazon. they shipped to another state, but i was refunded.

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Gr0wer]
    #24174754 - 03/19/17 12:51 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Gr0wer said:
i had this happen with a camera 3 weeks ago, off amazon. they shipped to another state, but i was refunded.

Exactly, this is what they do. I believe they have to send an order out for the purchase to be complete, so they just send an empty box to an irrelevant, or non existent address and it comes back. They have your money and its all over. I can't figure out if the host is supporting the fraud or not. Yeah, they refund you but 9 times out of 10 you re-purchase directly from them, and some avoid 3rd parties all together after that, so the host has a lot to benefit from the fraud, right? I mean, if this is so prevalent why don't they require some kind of verification for the seller, i.e. a physical address, not a p.o. box , that the host sends a verification card to and needs filled out by the seller and sent back.

Its a theory

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24184718 - 03/22/17 11:08 PM (7 years, 8 days ago)

Oh Yeah, Just came in the mail. This thing is a fregg'n wrecking ball.

Wow, I had no idea. Ima sterilize all kinds a shit. jars, grains, maybe a bowling ball or 2, the dog...

oh shit, thanks for turning me on to this. I'm glad I listen to everybody's advice.

:scaryshroom:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

#24185617 - 03/23/17 09:49 AM (7 years, 7 days ago)

Nice man! I can remember how excited I was when I got my AA  :wooyeah:

--------------------
My favorite threads

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24189769 - 03/24/17 06:39 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Yeah this 921 has elegance. I had several people tell me they didn't consider an electric PC to be an actual PC. I had no idea what they were talking about. I do now. Its like a German Tiger tank vs. a Sherman tank. This thing is ready to be used in a commercial setting and is made to take some serious abuse.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24191600 - 03/25/17 11:36 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

My upgraded parts just came In the mail today. I am going to learn to use it as is before I convert it, but I would like to put in the red over pressure plug now and take out the black one. I am not sure how to do this without destroying the black one or what the easiest way would be to put the new one in. Probably just push it in, but how should I get the black one out??? Screw driver??

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

#24192429 - 03/25/17 04:17 PM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Nah you probably don't need a screwdriver. I think I went on the underside of the lid and sort of bent it and mashed it up through the hole.. didn't break either.

--------------------
My favorite threads

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24192458 - 03/25/17 04:24 PM (7 years, 5 days ago)

I'll give it a try.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24194038 - 03/26/17 08:35 AM (7 years, 4 days ago)

Popped right out, and the red one slid right in. That was a lot easier then I thought it would be. :banana:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds