Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Government vs. Individuals
    #2415047 - 03/10/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I was thinking about how people here say that taxation is theft and other claims about government wrongdoing, but then I got to thinking: Do the same standards have to apply to government as they do to individuals? If an individual imprisons someone, that's called kidnapping. If an individual executes someone, that's called murder. Should we then revoke the right of the government to perform these activities(of course, I'd say yes to the second one, but that's just me)? Perhaps, then, accusing the government of crimes which only apply to individuals is comparing apples and oranges. Now, if you're an anarchist, you might make the argument that government itself should not exist, but I don't think we have many anarchists here.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Government vs. Individuals [Re: silversoul7]
    #2415154 - 03/10/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Do the same standards have to apply to government as they do to individuals?

Yes, as Frederic Bastiat said in 'The Law,' "The moral test of a law is whether it does for A at B's expense what it would be a crime for A to do to B himself." I do think that imprisoning someone is morally ok if the person has commited agression against another. I would have no qualms about tying up a rapist or murder or locking them in a cage - that's where they belong.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Government vs. Individuals [Re: Evolving]
    #2415179 - 03/10/04 03:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I do think that imprisoning someone is morally ok if the person has commited agression against another. I would have no qualms about tying up a rapist or murder or locking them in a cage - that's where they belong.

Shouldn't they recieve a fair trial?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Government vs. Individuals [Re: silversoul7]
    #2415236 - 03/10/04 03:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't say "suspected of," I said that if they committed the crime, meaning I know (beyond a doubt) that somebody has done something. If someone is suspected of ripping off my neighbor and I chase him down and hold him till we can sort things out or at least establish where we can find him later on, I think that is ok too. This is not the same as punishment or conviction.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (03/10/04 03:31 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion