Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: At The Gates
MUFFLER TEK, Use an Oven Bag for a Grow Bag
    #24136461 - 03/04/17 05:09 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

The basic principal of this Tek is to use a Reynolds Oven Bag instead of a Filter Patch Bag to spawn to bulk. It works best with wood based substrate because wood has a low contam rate. I am currently experimenting with other substrates and will supplement this thread with the results.

I developed this Tek about 2 years ago for three reasons,

1. I didn't have a Filter Patch Bag.
2. You can buy an oven bag anywhere in a pinch and I had Shiitake spawn that needed to be used.
3. Because they told me it was impossible.

I have used this Tek Successfully with Shiitake mushrooms to make fully colonized blocks.

Now for the things you will need.

1. Oven Bags. You can buy them at any grocery store or dollar store.

2. A card Board Tube and polyfil. The best ones are the tubes in rolls of tin foil. They are thick and can take a beating. I have done this tek with tubes from paper towel rolls.

3. Tin Foil. Any Kind, but Heavy Duty is always preferred.

4. A serrated edge knife to cut the tube to size only if it doesn't fit in your PC. You need a PC as well, but that is kind of a given for this hobby.

5. Although not necessary an old empty gypsum bag can be used to put the oven bag in to PC the substrate. I use this because it keeps the oven bag from touching the side of the PC during pressure cooking. This prevents burn holes in your oven bags. I have also just doubled up the oven bags, covered with a towel and several other methods of preventing the pressure cooker from burning holes in the oven bags.

6. Although not needed I use gloves and a medical face mask to prevent contam. I do this with everything in this hobby. So this is optional.

7. Twist ties, bread ties, rubber bands or anything that can be used to close the oven bag after it is filled. Like this:

8. Spawn. Woodlover works really well because of low contaminations rates.

9. Bulk Substrate. I am using Oak wood shavings in one bag and the other is Oak shavings with maple saw dust. Both are supplemented with wheat bran. If your process is sterile I guess you could use whatever you want.

First Step: Bring your bulk substrate to field capacity.

In the past I have used small blocks of wood, 1 inch x 1 inch, soaked and boiled in water to put in the bulk substrate for the only reason to act as a water reservoir for the Myc if the block has to colonize for a couple months. So it is optional depending on the mushrooms you are growing.

2nd step: Load up your oven bag(s) with your bulk. These oven bags are hugh, so put as much sub in as you need for your block. Let the Substrate all fall to one corner of the bag like so.

3rd step: Rubber band or twist tie the bag in three spots. One at about 5 inches up from the sub, another at the opening.

Fold the bag over so the two rubber bands are touching each other and put a third rubber band/twist tie on. This prevents moisture from entering the bag or escaping the bag. It should look kind of like this.

4th step: Put one bag in the old gypsum bag like so:
You can use your own process. wrap it in a towel, or how ever, just keep the sides of the PC from touching the oven bag. It can, but not always burn holes in the oven bags.

5th step: Pressure cook for 90 minutes at 15 PSI, or 2 hours at 12 PSI. I have an electric PC that only gets to 11.6 PSI, so I do 2 hours. Take them out and let them cool over night, and they should look something like this.

6th step: Lets make the muffler while the bags are cooling. Cut the tube if it doesn't fit in your PC. I just took a couple inches off.

Stuff the tube with polyfil. How much depends on what kind of mushroom you are growing. A co2 tolerant mushroom can take a fairly tight packing of the tube. Normally I just put enough in to fill it, but not tight.

7th step: Tear off about a foot and a half of tin foil and roll the tube in the tin foil, like so:

Twist both ends tight and then bend them down to prevent moisture from entering.

8th step: PC your tubes for an hour. I usually put something in the Pressure Cooker, like a PP5 Tupperware container before I put the tubes in so it keeps the tubes out of the water. Hell you could put the tube in a jar if you cover it with tinfoil to prevent water from entering.

Take the tubes out and let them cool. Once everything is cool we are ready for spawn. First thing I like to do is cut the tin foil in a circle on the tube. Then pull the tin foil off of each end of the tube about an inch. Should look like this:

Set it down we will use it in a minute.

Wipe off your spawn jar with bleach or alcohol. It should be clean because it is going in the bag. Then, take one of your spawn jars and unscrew the lid but don't take the lid off. Just let it sit on the mouth of the jar. We don't want contams getting in the jar.

9th step: Take the twist tie off of the fold in the bag and straighten out the bag.

Take the twist tie off of the bag closest to the opening of the bag.

Keep a tight hold on the bag. We don't want air getting in yet, the filter is not on it.

Holding the bag tight, mushroom out the top of the bag.

Now carefully take the lid off of the jar and slid it in the bag, keep the bag tight against the jar as to not let air get in the bag, well as little as possible. Should look like this:

Dump the grain spawn into the bag. And slide the bag out the way you put it in, with the bag as tight around the jar as possible. The grain spawn doesn't need mixed up in the substrate yet because the filter is not on. You can mix the spawn and substrate up after the bag is completely done.

10th step: hold the tube as close to the bag as possible. Take one end of foil off the tube. and slide that end into the bag keeping the bag tight around the tube.

Put a couple rubber bands about the tube to keep the bag tight against it. I usually put 3 rubber bands on the tube.

Now take the foil off the end of the tube and rubber band it well:

Alright, good job. If the bag is nice and tight against the muffler filter your done. Go ahead and gently mix that spawn up in the bag with the bulk. Any air that might get in should go through the filter and keep contams out.

I like to put the bag in something to make a shape, like this old cooler, or a pot. This isn't necessary, its just for fun.

Don't pack it in tight, the myc need the room to colonize.

Sometimes I just put them in a black garbage bag and put them in the closet for a month or two. Leaving the black garbage bag open for Gas Exchange

I put one in a pot and here you go. Two oven bags with "muffler" filters.

Put them in a closet or under your bed. Leave them for how ever long your spawn run is suppose to last.

**remember this is what you do in a pinch, if you don't have filter patch bags, or if you just want to have fun. If you contam, try it again but tighten up your process. This Tek begs for sterile conditions and a SAB. When I put the spawn in the oven bags in the pictures above I did it in an air tight closet. Kind of like a huge SAB.

**If you try this Tek let me know how it works for you.

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek
My Agrocybe Aegerita Grow Log

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: MUFFLER TEK, Use an Oven Bag for a Grow Bag [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24136614 - 03/04/17 06:18 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Push the bag through a cutting of the tube, fold over, then fill the hole with a filler.
Almost like this post, I can't seem to find better images on Google.

I know I have seen this in use for oysters somewhere.

--------------------

Invisiblevatman
I'm Vatman

Re: MUFFLER TEK, Use an Oven Bag for a Grow Bag [Re: Ferather]
    #24136647 - 03/04/17 06:29 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

It will work well for low supplement sawdust. Ovenbags microtear a lot. They are also more expensive than spawn bags. :shrug:

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: MUFFLER TEK, Use an Oven Bag for a Grow Bag [Re: Ferather]
    #24136731 - 03/04/17 07:04 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

2 years ago I searched this site high and low for a few days to try to figure out how to use an oven bag as a grow bag and found nothing. Can't say I've looked since then.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24136762 - 03/04/17 07:17 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

vatman said:
They are also more expensive than spawn bags. :shrug:

Quote:

Mushenstein said:**remember this is what you do in a pinch, if you don't have filter patch bags

I know man. You're a 100% right. I'm just say'n if you run out. Besides, after the holidays they went on sale so I bought a bunch of them for pasteurizing my bulk. I bought a pile of them for pennies, so when my spawn was ready and I forgot to buy bags I went with the old trusty muffler tek I use to do. Bags came in the mail yesterday.  Figured I'd write it up if anybody cared. 

:solved:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

Invisiblevatman
I'm Vatman

#24137197 - 03/04/17 10:17 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

There are teks using soda bottle necks, stuffing the bag through the neck, and stuffing the bottle neck full of pullyfil.

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: MUFFLER TEK, Use an Oven Bag for a Grow Bag [Re: vatman]
    #24139005 - 03/05/17 05:09 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

vatman said:
There are teks using soda bottle necks, stuffing the bag through the neck, and stuffing the bottle neck full of pullyfil.

I would imagine just about anything you can think of in this hobby has been tried in one form or another. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or anything. Its just an alternate solution if you find yourself in a bind with spawn and no myco bags.

My only worry is the addition of wheat bran. I can't say I know the increase in probability of contamination when bran or some other non-wood supplement is added in the bulk sub.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #24139025 - 03/05/17 05:19 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mushenstein said:
My only worry is the addition of wheat bran. I can't say I know the increase in probability of contamination when bran or some other non-wood supplement is added in the bulk sub.

Indeed, if you want to lower costs there are other plants or methods of enrichment you can add.

--------------------

Invisiblevatman
I'm Vatman

#24139037 - 03/05/17 05:23 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I've had a roommates can fucking tare in of my spawn bags. Took 2-3 weeks before mold was growing there. Sawdust you can get away with a lot. Just don't add too much sugars and additives and you are good. Once you get to around 40-50% bran is where it really matters on your sterlie Tek. You can pastirize sawdust too and get decent results

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: MUFFLER TEK, Use an Oven Bag for a Grow Bag [Re: vatman]
    #24139213 - 03/05/17 06:25 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I had been adding bran because the Sub recipes for Agrocybe Aegerita usually mention the addition of bran as a precursor to better yields. I figured I would be ok with the maple saw dust, but I only threw in 2 handfuls of bran. I guess I should be ok.
Hindsight tells me the rye grains probably had enough nutes in them the addition of bran may not have mattered. I guess I should have done a control sample to gauge the results.

The next two bags will be interesting. I soaked the wood shavings in  dilute coffee. Figured it works for grains, right?

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom