Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMcNewbie
the newbie
 User Gallery

Loc: southwest tennessee, USA
Use of nitrates?
    #2412850 - 03/10/04 12:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My grow setup is relatively simple: a large bucket with the cakes growing in the bottom under a layer of vermiculite, with a heating pad underneath and a light bulb above the translucent lid. I mist it three times a day. I had an idea:

If one of the main reasons manure is added to the substrate is to provide nitrogen, could I add a little commercial fertilizer in the form of a nitrate (either KNO3 [potassium nitrate] or NH4NO3 [ammonium nitrate]) to aid the grow process? My idea was to add about .1 g of lab grade NH4NO3 to about a pint of water and use that to mist my growing mushrooms.

Would it be a better idea to just add small amounts of the nitrate to the substrate when first mixing it up (before sterilization)?

I think that if this would work, adding the purer form of the nitrate would be better than adding it in the form of manure since manure is only a fraction of a percent nitrates, and the space taken up by the manure would be better used for "standard" nutrients (brown rice flour, rye berries, etc).

NOTE: Potassium nitrate and ammonium nitrate are about as toxic as table salt, so toxicity isn't a big concern. Potency and yield are.

---

Sorry if this has been discussed before! I searched before I posted, and nothing came up on the topic.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineScourge
The Dr.
Loc: Near flint Michgan, USA
Re: Use of nitrates? [Re: McNewbie]
    #2412925 - 03/10/04 12:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

it may work, if it does make sure you post. What does this nitrate break down into? Some things have to be conposted and broken down to a level where they are no longer toxic to the myco growth, such as ammonium

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grow in Honor and Strength."

OfflineMcNewbie
the newbie
 User Gallery

Loc: southwest tennessee, USA
Re: Use of nitrates? [Re: Scourge]
    #2412942 - 03/10/04 12:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Potassium nitrate is KNO3, which is one K^+1 ion and one nitrate (NO3^-1) group per molecule.

Ammonium nitrate is NH4NO3, which is one ammonium (NH4^+1) group and one nitrate group per molecule.

I would think that for delicate little fungi, the ammonium nitrate would be less harsh on it.

Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
    #2413301 - 03/10/04 02:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Nearly all shroom substrates are deficient in nitrogen because shrooms can grow in media that are too low in nitrogen for yeasts and bacteria to thrive. This gives shrooms a selective advantage over other microbes. Too much nitrogen stimulates contams.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2413654 - 03/10/04 06:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

In his book "Growing Mushrooms the Easy Way" it's author Rush Wayne describes how he uses fertilizer ( and urea :wink: ) in order to provide a nitrogen source. I have tried to use urea as a nitrogen source but the mycelium did not grow. I guess it was due to the fact that the concentration was too high. I would make some experiments with different concentrations of the artificial nitrogen source.

OfflineShrumester
Professor
Loc: your pants
Re: Use of nitrates? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2414377 - 03/10/04 11:45 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have also used urine as a nitrogen source. My urine is probably much more diluted than most due to my water intake, though. The mycelium grew, however, no more or less than plain water.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2414389 - 03/10/04 11:49 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Try yeast nutrient supplement (di-ammonium phosphate or ammonium phosphate) from your local home brewing supply store. These provides both nitrogen (what you want) and phosphorus (which hopefully will help create more psilocybin vs psilocin, as psilocybin is more stable - which may be a good thing, unless you eat your mushies fresh).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology