Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecoop
The Rookie

NEED QUICK ADVICE!!! :)
    #2411723 - 03/09/04 05:25 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

I just made my 60/40 casing mix and it is now cooling in the microwave after two 5-minute sessions. My question is this, how long does it have to cool before I can apply the mix to my substrate??

Also, with regards to the containers, I still need to put in about 1/2 in of verm on the bottom, then my substrate (about 1 in), and no more than 1-2 in of 60/40 mix on top...is that correct?? Another thing, do I spray the verm on the bottom with water and if so, how much??

And lastly, do I need to put holes in the bottom of my container?? I don't know if this is necessary or not. After these are cased, I'm putting them back into my incubator, and once they are ready to go, I'll put them in my fruiting chamber, which is layered with perlite. THANKS!!!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: NEED QUICK ADVICE!!! :) [Re: coop]
    #2411754 - 03/09/04 05:42 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

at least two hours, preferably longer. that stuff holds its heat. it needs to be room temp, even in the middle. can you shake it? you don't need the bottom layer, but some use it. if you do use one, it should be moist. the mix on top should only be about a aquarter of the substrate (white stuff) depth - in your case, less than 1/2 inch thick. no holes in the casing container itself. maybe in the terrarium when it goes in there.

:thumbup:

may luck and the shroom gods be on your side. sk  :kiss: :spliff:

--------------------
buh

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Re: NEED QUICK ADVICE!!! :) [Re: shirley knott]
    #2411807 - 03/09/04 05:55 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

thank you :smile:  one more though, when you say "holes in the terrarium" do you mean the chamber itself, or the plastic container my substrate is in??  i want to get this right :smile:  i do plan on misting and fanning throughout the day once they are ready to put in.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2411846 - 03/09/04 06:04 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

in the chamber itself. it lets the CO2 seep out (only necessary if you're using an airline or fogger to supply fresh air, instead of fanning). you probably don't need any.

think of the casing tub like a jar - you wouldn't make holes in that, would you? possible entry portal for contamination. :spliff:  :beer:

--------------------
buh

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Re: NEED QUICK ADVICE!!! :) [Re: shirley knott]
    #2411986 - 03/09/04 06:48 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

ok...well, my terrarium is an 18 gallon rubbermaid...how big of a hole do I need to put in the side of it for ventation?? Furthermore, is this still necessary if I plan on fanning 3-4 times a day??

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #2411992 - 03/09/04 06:49 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

coop said:
I just made my 60/40 casing mix and it is now cooling in the microwave after two 5-minute sessions. My question is this, how long does it have to cool before I can apply the mix to my substrate??

Also, with regards to the containers, I still need to put in about 1/2 in of verm on the bottom, then my substrate (about 1 in), and no more than 1-2 in of 60/40 mix on top...is that correct?? Another thing, do I spray the verm on the bottom with water and if so, how much??

And lastly, do I need to put holes in the bottom of my container?? I don't know if this is necessary or not. After these are cased, I'm putting them back into my incubator, and once they are ready to go, I'll put them in my fruiting chamber, which is layered with perlite. THANKS!!!

Cool till "room temp" , could take anywheres from 1 - 3 hours , if too hot it will kill the myc
Are you doing bulk innoc i.e some sort of compost mix ?
No need to put verm in bottom , just the compost , let fully colonize , then case it .
I mean you can add verm to compost , in fact I reccomend that , and of course some verm in the case
Some folks have experimented with flooding trays between flushes , but for your needs for now , NO need for the holes it will make a mess in your chamber (I assume you are using rubbermaid chamber .
Good Luck hope this helps
Trip n D

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Re: NEED QUICK ADVICE!!! :) [Re: tripndicular]
    #2411999 - 03/09/04 06:52 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

ok...so, I have these 5x5x3 containers I plan on putting 2 jars of substrate in each. I lined it with foil already, so now all I have to do is put in the crumbled substrate, apply the 60/40 mix on top, cover with saran wrap, place in the incubator, and soon into my fruiting chamber??

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #2412681 - 03/09/04 09:30 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

Are you just planning on "casing" crumbled cakes ?
Are you "casing" grain ?
Or are you planning on spawning a bulk substrate ( compost , dung ) ?

If just casing yes it will work , a little large for just 2 cakes , depending on size of cakes .
Break up cakes , put 1\4 layer of casing 60\40 , cover , incubate till even myc just popping thru surface , then induce fruiting .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix