Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming?
    #24117233 - 02/24/17 08:21 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I haven't had a gaming system for a while and have been longing to play but money has been tight. I've also been wanting a new lap top for a while. So I figured Id compromise.

I really want a laptop but I could go for a tower monitor setup if there is an overwhelming benefit of doing so.

I'm not like a crazy hardcore gamer so I don't need the biggest/best. Im thinking a budget of around $500. I haven't played a game on the computer for over 15 years, all console gaming.

The kind of games I like: COD, Resident Evils, the last of us...Basically action games and shooters..

Also I'd like advice on a controller set up.. I like the idea of playing on my tv with a controller..

So please give a computer gamer noob some tips, many thanks!

Edited by Mush 4 Brains (02/24/17 08:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebeforethedawn
Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24132578 - 03/02/17 11:58 PM (7 years, 27 days ago)

Well all I can say is don't go lower than an Intel i3. These mobile laptop processors in the budget category are useless.

Basically you can't even run Quake 3 engine-based QuakeLive.

--------------------
Hostile humankind
Can't you see you're fucking blind?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #24134937 - 03/03/17 11:52 PM (7 years, 26 days ago)

I haven't checked lately but generally "budget" and "gaming laptop" do not belong in the same sentence. You're usually looking at closer to 1k-2.5 for a capable gaming laptop.
For 500 you could build a moderately respectable gaming desktop that would perform well enough for a lot of games.. but I doubt you'll find a laptop in that range that's even half as good.
Laptop you are paying extra for convenience and portability. So be prepared to shell out more for equal specs. If you are on a budget, it's a desktop you want to build.

--------------------

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: Shroomism]
    #24135655 - 03/04/17 09:22 AM (7 years, 25 days ago)

Marketing has started putting the words "good for gaming" in a lot of pieces of shit. When they say "good for gaming" they mean for Tetris.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

InvisibleDieCommie

#24135838 - 03/04/17 10:38 AM (7 years, 25 days ago)

Im amazed at the crap keyboards on gaming laptops.  The put razzle dazzle colored lights on chicklet membrane keys that are crappy for gaming.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24136346 - 03/04/17 02:16 PM (7 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I haven't checked lately but generally "budget" and "gaming laptop" do not belong in the same sentence. You're usually looking at closer to 1k-2.5 for a capable gaming laptop.
For 500 you could build a moderately respectable gaming desktop that would perform well enough for a lot of games.. but I doubt you'll find a laptop in that range that's even half as good.
Laptop you are paying extra for convenience and portability. So be prepared to shell out more for equal specs. If you are on a budget, it's a desktop you want to build.

While I believe this to be generally true, I think the last few years this has been changing somewhat. I recently picked up an Acer Aspire for under 600$, my requirements being grad school, Factorio, and Overwatch. I was expecting it to barely run Overwatch, but it seems to do pretty good. Might even be a recommendation to OP, though I doubt that it's gonna run AAA shooters like COD that come out next year even with low settings.

Based on your gaming habits, I would say desktop is the way to go. If you like your indie games, or just games that don't put emphasis on graphics being "realistic", then maybe a laptop would suffice.

My 3 year old 600$ desktop build is still 4x more powerful in terms of paper specs (and noticeably better in terms of use) compared to my less than a month old 600$ laptop.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: Kryptos]
    #24139867 - 03/05/17 08:59 PM (7 years, 24 days ago)

just get a ps4 pro
a gaming laptop is a waste of money

if it's a desk top you want you need a new power suppy and a gtx 1050 if it has a pci e 2.0 slot
if you want new games an i5 is reccomneded but the cpu is 200 dollars alone

Edited by Konyap (03/05/17 09:00 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: Kryptos]
    #24142805 - 03/07/17 02:05 AM (7 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Quote:

Shroomism said:

While I believe this to be generally true, I think the last few years this has been changing somewhat. I recently picked up an Acer Aspire for under 600$, my requirements being grad school, Factorio, and Overwatch. I was expecting it to barely run Overwatch, but it seems to do pretty good. Might even be a recommendation to OP, though I doubt that it's gonna run AAA shooters like COD that come out next year even with low settings.

Based on your gaming habits, I would say desktop is the way to go. If you like your indie games, or just games that don't put emphasis on graphics being "realistic", then maybe a laptop would suffice.

My 3 year old 600$ desktop build is still 4x more powerful in terms of paper specs (and noticeably better in terms of use) compared to my less than a month old 600$ laptop.

That's true to an extent. Laptops have come further. It totally depends on the games though.
Modern CPUs have definitely come a long way in recent years and even the onboard Intel graphics are respectable enough for playing a lot of games.
Games like Factorio should be able to run on just about anything. Even some modern 3D games will run ok on onboard graphics at low-medium settings.

But where the rubber meets the road in a gaming laptop is the raw horsepower.. any 'gaming laptop' should have a pretty powerful CPU.. an SSD.. and a dedicated GPU.. depending on the GPU determines the a large chunk of the price. Ideally it also has better cooling and a better screen and some other things. But I don't think I've seen a dedicated "gaming laptop" for under 1k.
I bought a "gaming laptop" like ~9 years ago that had dual 8800GTx in SLI. That cost me like 2.2k, handled games like a champ for a solid ~7 years. Then I got a better one.
Looking around now, doesn't look like it's changed much. The high end 'gaming laptops' with like 980s or 1080s cost about 2k or more

Yeah I'll concede that a moderately priced $600 Asus laptop with decent specs should be able to handle "a good chunk" of games, and even some 3D games, but most gamers are most concerned with overall performance and graphics which is where the high end dedicated GPUs come into play and the SSDs and whatnot. Where a mid level laptop would choke on a lot of games without completely gimping the settings.. a "gaming laptop" should be able to handle pretty much anything you want to throw at it at least at mid-high settings. Otherwise I wouldn't really call it a gaming laptop.

But yeah I would advise OP not to try and waste money on a laptop dedicated mostly for gaming unless he absolutely HAS to have something portable.

You can build your own desktop for $1000 that would completely blow away a $1500 laptop. You can build a desktop for $500 that will completely destroy any $500 laptop. Would probably even beat $1000 laptops.
If you are going best bang for your buck.. build a desktop.. no question.
Gaming laptops are for people with money who already have a dedicate gaming desktop and want something portable.
Or for people who absolutely HAVE to game on the go. But you're going to get much more mileage for your money out of a desktop.

--------------------

InvisibleGr33nTree73
 User Gallery

Loc: 585/843
    #24145777 - 03/08/17 08:39 AM (7 years, 21 days ago)

If you put it together yourself a gaming tower in the 500$ range will play every game out there, not all will run at ultra settings though.  However, with the right selection of motherboard you'll always be able to upgrade parts in the future.  Personally, I'd spend a bit extra on the power supply from the beginning though as your upgrades in the future may require far more power than what you'd be putting together intitially in that price range. 

Laptops in that range are going to be useless unless you have a restricted idea of what games you will be playing.  I had an Asus laptop with an i3 that was $550 that played everything I threw at it but I don't play all that many new games.  I mostly emulate consoles up to the Dreamcast era and PC games pre 06-08ish with some mod packs installed.  I also run a Linux OS even when gaming so not much RAM was taken up by the operating system itself on that laptop. 

This guy's builds are usually well planned out based on specific budgets.  This is his newest build for 500ish USD.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: Gr33nTree73]
    #24207100 - 03/31/17 01:17 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I take back everything I've ever said about gaming laptops sucking... this thing is fucking ridiculous

It's fucking $9,000 though :lol: and the heaviest 'laptop' ever made.. but the thing is a monster.
But yeah you could build a desktop with those same specs or better for probably 4k or so soooooo....

--------------------

InvisibleGr33nTree73
 User Gallery

Loc: 585/843
    #24207694 - 03/31/17 09:44 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

That's a cool laptop setup.  Linus Tech Tips is an absolute shit channel though.  I can't believe how many times he's been called out for not knowing shit about what he's reviewing or promoting.  Regardless if it's gaming related or some other aspect of computing.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24207787 - 03/31/17 10:28 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Haha.... not that I particularly love him or anything... I don't really like his style... but the dude knows his shit... what are you talking about?

--------------------

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: Shroomism] * 1
    #24211739 - 04/01/17 07:35 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

9k lmao.

My life would change over 9k, let alone buy that, for that much.

If I ever got that, I'd be playing in the McDonalds parking lot, cuz I'd be homeless.

--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: Chakanooga]
    #24211945 - 04/01/17 09:13 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

So a nice used car plus insurance OR a gaming laptop. Got it... ha

I ended up buying a dated laptop from my bro for $100. Its good for what I need it for, nothing crazy. Then I bought a PS4 and a few games + an extra controller from a dude on CL for $260.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Made my dollar stretch

OfflineBannannannaman
a banana

#24237999 - 04/12/17 04:09 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Gr33nTree73 said:
Personally, I'd spend a bit extra on the power supply from the beginning though as your upgrades in the future may require far more power than what you'd be putting together intitially in that price range. 

I second a good power supply.  I like corsair.  My last 3 desktops all failed from power supplies.  When they go bad they can take other components with them.  The last pc I built I got a power supply that was far in excess of what I needed, but its been around 8 years and the computer is still kickin just fine.  I think a good psu makes the computer last longer because there is less electrical stress on the other components (sorry I dont know the correct terminology for this).

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #24248378 - 04/16/17 08:19 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Gaming on an inexpensive laptop?

:whattefuck2:

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #24248430 - 04/16/17 08:38 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I'm not super tech savvy, got a crash course in reality!

Funny thing is my bro just gave me his laptop yesterday. I bought one last month, and my dad gave me his old one as well.. So I have 3 laptops now..

Can they do some transformer stuff and merge together into a super laptop? Got a tek on that or something?

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #24248698 - 04/16/17 10:17 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

That would take special skills to interconnect three laptops. Much easier with desktops.

If u want an "inexpensive" gaming laptop, id suggest buying a used laptop that has decent hardware specs and is only a couple years old. 2 years at most!

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Decent inexpensive laptop for gaming? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #24248749 - 04/16/17 10:43 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I was joking/being sarcastic but yeah I get yuh.. I'm honestly done with the idea and am searching other options

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24248816 - 04/16/17 11:15 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Build a desktop.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom