Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Mycobags, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced
    #2410501 - 03/09/04 11:16 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

What a coincidence! As I was preparing to make this post, I came across the thread in this forum regarding the use of mushrooms for pain relief. I can answer the question asked -- are there any mushrooms known to provide pain relief? The answer is yes -- for one specific type of pain at least. As it happens, that pain is the most excruciating pain known to mankind.

As many of you already know, the reason I started posting on The Shroomery over three years ago was because I have a neurological condition known variously as Cluster Headache, Horton's Syndrome (in parts of Europe) or "Suicide Headache".

I had first grown Psilocybe cubensis way back in 1977 using the method outlined in Oess & Oeric's book. As I grew older, I stopped taking psychedelics and even marijuana altogether. Just one of those things.

In 1985 I started exhibiting the classic symptoms of Cluster Headaches, although it took another seven years before the doctors finally realized that is what it was -- the original diagnosis was migraine. Some of the medication they prescribed worked partially sometimes. Most did nothing but give me weird side effects and suck large chunks of cash from my bank account. For the most part, I just suffered. I (like so many others) seriously contemplated suicide on several occasions. As a matter of fact, if I had owned a pistol back then I would not be typing this post today. No joke.

In the year 2000, I came across a website for clusterheads (what we CH sufferers call ourselves) run by clusterheads. I started scanning it for any new treatments I may have been unaware of here in my beautiful third world banana republic. I came across a series of posts from people who had tried psilocybes to treat their affliction. They were referring to a guy by the name of "Flash" who had brought it to their attention in 1998, shortly after the clusterheadaches.com message board came into existence. Flash had noticed that the only time he had a break in his clusters was a two year stretch when he had been taking LSD recreationally. When he stopped the LSD, his headaches returned. Later, he tried Psilocybe semilanceata he harvested himself (he lives near Aberdeen in Scotland) and found that it also kept the headaches at bay.

Reading the posts from Flash and others reminded me of a few obscure research papers I had stumbled across in the library at Carleton University back in 1973 describing successful trials done in the US on migraine sufferers treated with LSD. I knew right away that Flash was on to something, and decided to grow my own shrooms. The information here at The Shroomery and on Fanaticus's website made that a considerably easier task than it had been back in 1977, believe me!

And lo and behold... the shrooms worked for me as well!

I started flooding the message board at clusterheadaches.com with information on how to grow Psilocybe cubensis and on where to obtain reliable spores -- all of them are Shroomery sponsors, by the way -- and the number of people trying the therapy mushroomed (hee hee hee!) to the point where I estimate there have now been around two hundred clusterheads that I know of who use shrooms (and a few who use LSD) to keep themselves pain free.

At one point around three years ago I was engaged in an e-mail conversation with a gentleman who was in desperate straits -- he was in the middle of a very bad headache cycle and was unable to obtain any shrooms on his local black market. He was willing to grow his own but was dreading having to wait the six weeks till harvest time. I made a carefully-worded appeal here to see if anyone might have some ideas as to how to solve his dilemma. My post was (rightfully, I must admit) deleted in less than 24 hours. No matter how altruistic my request may have been, it was rightly interpreted as a "hookup" request, and the moderators were absolutely correct to delete it. I had no objections to their action whatsoever. So I spread the word amongst my clusterhead fungus farmer friends and was able to arrange an anonymous transfer of badly-needed medication to this gentleman who goes by the name of PinkFloyd on the clusterbusters website.

They worked like magic. Now as it happens, PinkFloyd turns out to be a very highly-respected individual in certain areas -- a mover and a shaker, if you will. He was so grateful for the relief and so fascinated by the power of the fungus to change the lives of so many people for the better that he threw body and soul into an effort to get the word out. He put together a site called ClusterBusters.com. Some of my posts to clusterheadaches.com appear there, as well as an archive of all the posts ever made at clusterheadaches.com discussing hallucinogens as a treatment for cluster headaches.

More significantly, he started contacting various credible people in the medical community to see if he could find someone willing to go through the enormous hassle of getting the required FDA approvals to initiate a clinical trial into the use of LSD and psilocybin in the treatment of cluster headaches.

I and others had suggested that MAPS (the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies) would be a good ally to enlist. We were right!

Not only will there be a clinical trial, that trial will be held at Harvard no less!

Woo Hoo!

Here is the link to the announcement at www.clusterheadaches.com --

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action=display;num=1078658317

I have been just itching to post this news here at The Shroomery for about a week now, but I wanted to wait till Flash, PinkFloyd and I had posted the joint announcement of the upcoming trials at www.clusterheadaches.com. Flash made the post a few nights ago, so here I am.

This news is friggin' huge, folks. It will be the first clinical trial with LSD on human subjects in the United States in three decades, and it has a lot of people in the psychedelic research community pretty stoked. There are already researchers trying to get on the team with Dr. Halpern and Dr. Sewell, and the official announcement hasn't even been made to the medical community at large.

It is also huge in that it may eventually lead to a legal, effective treatment for the hundreds of thousands of people who have had their lives literally destroyed by a condition which medical texts agree produces the most intense agony known to man. It has been compared to having a limb amputated without anesthetic, or to giving birth (with complications) without anesthetic. And clusterheads suffer that pain for an hour or more, two to six times every day, for months at a stretch. In the case of "chronic" (vs. episodic) clusterheads, they endure that torture every single day of their lives. People quite literally have killed themselves rather than endure the agony -- hence the name "suicide headaches".

Here's a link to a three minute excerpt of a clusterhead going through what he descibes as a level 6 cluster attack. We clusterheads use a scale of 1 to 10 to rate the severity of an attack, with 10 being the most extreme -- the kind where you find yourself reaching for a gun to end it all. Not every attack is 10 for me -- most of mine are in the 7 to 9 range, but I've had more tens over the years than I care to remember. This clip will take a while to load for those on dialup, and it is not suited for watching by the faint of heart, so I strongly recommend not viewing it if you are easily upset by witnessing the suffering of others. I provide it just to show what an incredible boon this treatment is for clusterheads.

http://www.clusterbusters.com/chuckattack.MPG

I have to admit, I am pretty proud of my contributions in bringing this about. I know that without the efforts of myself and others at clusterheadaches.com it may have ended up being just a curiosity buried in the archives of an obscure messageboard. By the time I started evangelizing at clusterheadaches.com, Flash was pretty discouraged and about ready to throw in the towel. I injected some new enthusiasm and kept the ball rolling for a few years with his help, posting so often at the ch.com message board that some folks there must have been pretty tired of seeing the tag "pinksharkmark". By the time I started burning out on it myself, Pinkfloyd and several newer experimenters such as tommyD and mastifflvr28 had picked up the baton and run with it. I still posted occasionally, but nowhere near as often as I used to -- after all, I had my own shrooms and knew they worked and had spent hundreds of hours persuading others to give it a try. If they didn't want to -- no skin off my nose. I'd more than done my part.

But this milestone has motivated me to resume my more activist approach at the clusterhead message board. PinkFloyd has done a tremendous service to the clusterhead community -- and quite possibly to migraineurs as well. Psilocybin and LSD seem to work just as well for those suffering from migraines as they do for clusterheads.

I will try to keep this board updated as events unfold. We are still not at the point of handing out doses of LSD or psilocybin to clusterheads at MacLean Medical School. But it will happen.

pinky

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: Phred]
    #2410546 - 03/09/04 11:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome news!!!!!

MycoBag

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #2410567 - 03/09/04 11:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: comario2]
    #2410683 - 03/09/04 12:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i think i feel a headache coming on.... j/k j/k j/k

great news

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2411298 - 03/09/04 03:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

great stuff  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
What's the average dosage for this kind of illness ?
Keep us updated.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: ragadinks]
    #2411391 - 03/09/04 03:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Most clusterheads find it unnecessary to ingest more than will produce a Level 2 experience. Some have had phenomenal success with even Level 1 doses.

It all depends when the dose is taken. If taken between cycles, when the headaches are in remission, it appears as if a single Level 1 dose every six months is all that is required to prevent a cycle from starting at all. If the clusterhead waits until the first warning stages of a new cycle appear, a Level 2 dose appears to be more effective -- and even then sometimes more than one dose is required.

In the case of someone who is already caught in the firm grip of a well-established cycle, one that has been at peak intensity for more than a week, the norm is several doses spaced roughly five days apart. Most people aim for a Level 2 dose even then, but there have been some reports from a few who believe that slightly higher doses in the Level 2.5 to Level 3 range work better. We are still "finetuning" the process -- everyone's body chemistry is a little bit different.

To complicate matters, some of the commonly used cluster medications (such as ergotamine and methysergide) are known to interfere with the action of psilocybin and LSD, and many others (especially the "triptans" such as sumatriptan, zolmitriptan, naratriptan and others) are strongly suspected of lessening the effectiveness. Also various tricyclic antidepressants, serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, and even steroids such as prednisone appear to alter at least the psychedelic aspects of psilocybin and LSD. There is also some evidence that opioids do the same. On the other hand, Lithium tends to increase the psychedelic effect of psilocybin and LSD.

So quite a few of our experimenters were "contaminated" by lingering traces of blocking meds. It is incredibly difficult for someone to restrain themselves from reaching for a known medication that provides at least some relief when one of these attacks occur, even if one knows that by doing so one jeopardizes the possibility of the shrooms working to full effect (or at all).

Those are two of the reasons for running this clinical trial -- to try to scientifically establish an effective dosage range and to try to pin down just which medications enhance or decrease the 'clusterbusting" properties.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
    #2412401 - 03/09/04 10:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

amazing. great post. thanks for sharing.

OfflineAnansi
------------

#2412516 - 03/09/04 10:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome job!

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
    #2416162 - 03/10/04 07:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

:shocked: :thumbup:

--------------------
Keep growing.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2416572 - 03/10/04 09:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Beautiful.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2416628 - 03/10/04 09:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

This is awesome news indeed. 
Thank you for such a wonderful contribution to the psychedelic mushroom community :sun:

I just wanted to quote one of your writeups on the action of psychedelics on the 5-HT receptor in the human neuro system seeing as I really enjoyed it and I believe others might as well :grin:

Quote:

Originally posted by pinksharkmark:

It has been known for decades that the serotonin (5-HT) molecule bears a very close resemblance to various tryptamine molecules. DMT and psilocin in particular are virtually identical structurally to serotonin. The difference is literally the matter of an atom or two. Because of this similarity, the prevailing theory as to how psychedelics work is that a molecule of psilocin (for example) is able to "spoof" a 5-HT receptor in the synapse of one of your neurons into letting it occupy the space which would normally be occupied by a 5-HT molecule. But of course, a psilocin molecule is not a 5-HT molecule. It has a very slightly different shape, and therefore a slightly different electrical charge distribution field associated with that shape. Because of these differences, the neuron sends a different signal "up the line" when it is occupied by a psilocin molecule than it does when occupied by a 5-HT molecule. It is the effect of billions of these different signals which produces the familiar pscyhedelic effect we all know and love.

apologies for only pasting pinky's writing in part, as it makes it seem off-topic, but it is related :spliff:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth
Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: geokills]
    #2423119 - 03/12/04 11:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thats awesome.......Since the psilocybe helps you with your headaches,is there less visuals and less euphoria since the psilocybe is being used to help the pain?For example if I ate 3 grams and tripped hard without a headache then the psilocybe would just be making me trip,but If I ate three grams and I wasnt tripping as hard then maybe the psilocybe is just helping the pain and not making you
trip as hard......???

Also,does psilocybe/psilocin maybe,some how,connect to opioid receptors in the brain causing less pain? Or how is that possible?

But I am glad to hear that news,and good luck with it!

Peace,

PF~

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: pfshroomer]
    #2423552 - 03/12/04 01:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

pfshroomer asks:

Since the psilocybe helps you with your headaches,is there less visuals and less euphoria since the psilocybe is being used to help the pain?For example if I ate 3 grams and tripped hard without a headache then the psilocybe would just be making me trip,but If I ate three grams and I wasnt tripping as hard then maybe the psilocybe is just helping the pain and not making you
trip as hard......???

It doesn't appear to work that way. Clusterheads get just as high as someone who is not a clusterhead would.

lso,does psilocybe/psilocin maybe,some how,connect to opioid receptors in the brain causing less pain?

As yet still unknown, but unlikely.

The thing is, clusterheads have a faulty metabolism. Something is busted. Our serotonin-regulating mechanism works just fine most of the time, but periodically it gets out of whack and the levels of serotonin fluctuate wildly. The result is Horton's Syndrome (cluster headaches). A syndrome is a collection of symptoms. Clusterheads exhibit other symptoms when they are going through a cycle, but it is the insanely intense agony that (rightfully) receives the most attention. When a cluster cycle is aborted by psilocybin/LSD, it is not just the pain that stops, but these other symptoms as well. So there is definitely more going on than just an effect on pain receptors.

The theory is that psilocin/LSD "resets" the serotonin-regulating mechanism back to its normal operating mode. It should be noted that in the case of episodic clusterheads, the serotonin-regulating mechanism resets itself all on its own after a period of weeks or months even if no medication is taken. All that psilocin/LSD does is hasten this resetting process -- forcing it to occur earlier than it would occur naturally.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: geokills]
    #2424979 - 03/12/04 07:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
This is awesome news indeed. 
Thank you for such a wonderful contribution to the psychedelic mushroom community :sun:

I just wanted to quote one of your writeups on the action of psychedelics on the 5-HT receptor in the human neuro system seeing as I really enjoyed it and I believe others might as well :grin:

Quote:

Originally posted by pinksharkmark:

It has been known for decades that the serotonin (5-HT) molecule bears a very close resemblance to various tryptamine molecules. DMT and psilocin in particular are virtually identical structurally to serotonin. The difference is literally the matter of an atom or two. Because of this similarity, the prevailing theory as to how psychedelics work is that a molecule of psilocin (for example) is able to "spoof" a 5-HT receptor in the synapse of one of your neurons into letting it occupy the space which would normally be occupied by a 5-HT molecule. But of course, a psilocin molecule is not a 5-HT molecule. It has a very slightly different shape, and therefore a slightly different electrical charge distribution field associated with that shape. Because of these differences, the neuron sends a different signal "up the line" when it is occupied by a psilocin molecule than it does when occupied by a 5-HT molecule. It is the effect of billions of these different signals which produces the familiar pscyhedelic effect we all know and love.

apologies for only pasting pinky's writing in part, as it makes it seem off-topic, but it is related :spliff:

Woah!! Very interesting and instructive post!

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
    #2424987 - 03/12/04 07:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

pinksharkmark, you are THE MAN!
Good job!
:mushroom2:

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: MushMushi]
    #2431127 - 03/14/04 02:02 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

most definately the best news I've heard in some time....glad I stumbled across this thread!

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: Hooty]
    #2435250 - 03/15/04 04:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

This is what ive been looking for. Great news!

:thumbup:

OfflineEarth Shaman
Earth Lover

#2435896 - 03/15/04 07:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome, man. Absolutely awesome. This is one naturopathic remedy I'd be willing to endorse. *wild laughter*
Keep up the good work! The world needs some shroom healing.

--------------------
Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

"Whatever you take from Mother Earth, replace it, because nothing is for nothing."
-Native American Proverb

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in
    #5864449 - 07/16/06 08:12 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

this could use a bump :tongue:

i've looked into the clusterbusters website a while ago... it's very interesting, i had lots of questions and some thoughts to share but not being a clusterhead they didn't really want to hear (can't blame them :smirk:)

anyway finelly MAPS managed to get  this (PDF) article to be published on Neurology and hopfully now lots of doctors will be interested in studying this  :thumbup:

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: Clinical study of psilocybin and LSD announced [Re: Simisu]
    #5865599 - 07/16/06 03:41 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I think the clusterheads will prefer just to eat (or drink rather) and let the doctors study until the walls come down that it please them.
I've always failed to see a pharmacologial need for an indigenous right food.
The only practical purpose of "more doctors studying" is that it will make it that much harder to persecute and prosecute someone for the domestic application of a home remedy!
I'm not against the research end at all it just seems very second priority to us in the practical applications department....
Perhaps they could eat and study also and thereby expedite matters? :smile:

Also, psilocybes reduce fever and pain caused by viral or bacterial infection such as in strep throat.

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Mycobags, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms