Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
This world trips me out
    #2410041 - 03/09/04 06:14 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

So i was just outside smokin a cigarette, lookin up at the moon, and i had one of those real introspective moments...the calm of the night with no distractions...

its absolutely crazy that we are here, for whatever purpose, or how -- it just blows my mind.

Happens alot when im driving and i pass alot of trees, i just end up staring at them at the stop signs/lights, marveling at the complex, yet simple, thing that is so beautiful to us.

Makes me wonder why nature appears that way to us.  It provides for us, is that why we love it so?  You could say its the same case for mother/father as well i suppose.

I've always been a materialist, mind is a result of physical brain, same substance, etc...

but after taking this philosophy class that i'm enrolled in currently, im leaning more and more towards substance dualism...its just too hard to be a materialist & feel secure in the premises for me.
This class has made me fear death alot less, but rather look at it in a much more positive light...i'll finally know the answer when it comes :smile:

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: This world trips me out [Re: Kremlin]
    #2410051 - 03/09/04 06:28 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

This world trips me out, too. Every single seemingly unimportant detail does the trick for me.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: This world trips me out [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2410055 - 03/09/04 06:30 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

exactly

thats it

paying attention to the small shit really throws it all into focus for a while...and then you get sucked back into the daily grind :frown:

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
    #2410068 - 03/09/04 06:42 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to the world of awareness. People say that we as humans are "aware" of our surroundings and thats what makes us sentient. And i agree, however, i dont think you can claim to be aware until you look at the moon and say " Oh shit, im an advances organism on a planet. One planet out of trillions and trillions. This is fuckin' crazy". Thats when you realize that you are simply an organism that relies on communication and teamworkto complete certain task for higher purposes of wich we don't yet understand. No diffrent than a cell on your body. A cell part of an organ, an organ part of a body, a body part of a civilization, a civilization part of a planet. What has given our kind of communication such an advantege over other life forms is the ability to record and read knowledge. Wich gives us a bigger grasp on our reality and time than say a rabbit, who lives his life in the now, with no knowledge of his ancestors and past events, therefore unable to make plans for future events.

Once you come to the realization of your existance, you also come to the realization of your vaulnurability. How fragil life is. If you look at statistics in 3rd world contrie, not many babies make it to adulthood. Also if anything where to change around our planet, wether a small movement on the Earths axis or even just a slight slow down on its rotation, alot of life on the planet would be lost. Thats the reason why i think we prefer not to ponder on our awareness. But in the prossess of ignoring the scary, we ignore the beutiful. We dont appretiate the fact that we are able to feel good. That we are able to have fun. We are able to feel these great emotions because without them most of us would have taken our own lives. And the higher purpose of wich we yet don't understand would not be able to be completed.

--------------------

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: This world trips me out [Re: Spokesman]
    #2410075 - 03/09/04 06:52 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i cant quite accept the idea of a higher purpose, it sounds too easy to me to have a system setup like that, but that is just a difference in opinions.

"Awareness" is a blessing and a curse. I look around at certain people in my life and wonder if the only way to make them think about things like this is to have them be smacked in the face with it. Of course their time will come, or maybe it wont...thats not my concern or reason to worry. It's their world.

Being human, as well, is such a blessing and a curse. We are the only species on this planet (that we can tell reasonably) that is blessed with the ability to realize its own mortality...sick joke.

Also, i must say i hate the word awareness. It's too hard to define what awareness would be for us until we know the true nature of substances in this world, which we do not even have a close idea of yet.

The way i look at it, is kind of like this: If your dog watches you play a game of chess, it will never be able to comprehend the meaning behind all of the moves and rules of the game, as it is with us when it comes to looking at the world and wondering what makes it tick, and how it does so.

--Kremlin

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

#2410120 - 03/09/04 07:47 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I understand what your saying and i agree. I think that it's foolosh for us to think that because we call our selves sentient, we have the tools in our current brain to comprehend and interpret everything. Not too long ago our spectrum of reality was from an object to a planet. It was all we were able to comprehend. Now its from a quark to a Universe. But who's to say that's it. Can we be sure that the universe is not part of something bigger or that a quark is composed of something smaller??

And by a higher purpose i didn't nessesarily mean anything spiritual. Think about it, we have an economy composed of our team efforts as a human race to evolve. We seek survival as a species. We communicate with eachother just like any other organism to get a task done. Our 'higher purpose' doesn't nessesarily mean apply to every single life or organism. It also doesen't mean its a good thing. What is the 'higher purpose' of a virus? Our 'higher purpose' could very well be to consume and destroy. Or it could be to evolve enough to migrate across the universe.

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2410185 - 03/09/04 08:46 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The world trips me out too...

Livin la vida loca in....

:wink:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #2410426 - 03/09/04 10:43 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

>>>made me fear death alot less, but rather look at it in a much more positive light...i'll finally know the answer when it comes <<<

>>>i cant quite accept the idea of a higher purpose, it sounds too easy to me to have a system setup like that, but that is just a difference in opinions<<<

If there is no higher purpose then what(1) will be giving what(2) the answer when it comes?

What1 being a higher energy and what2 being the remainders of yourself after death?

Just another perspective, their are infinate ways of looking at any topic...

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2410647 - 03/09/04 12:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I remember once I was reading a physics book (Hyperspace - Michiu Kaku) and I was suddenly overcome with a feeling of pure awe.

This universe, this life supporting universe, has details so fine that should any be changed even slightly there could be no hope of our existence. As I read this, I thought "wow...and I am here now to read and think about it".

Some people say it's not a remarkable thing that we are here. They will point to, perhaps, the Multiverse theory - saying that out of all the infinite universes in the multiverse there are bound to be at least some which can support life. Of course we exist in one of these.

That still doesn't change my awe.

We are here, now, and able to understand that fact.  :shocked:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2410973 - 03/09/04 02:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I always get this feeling while camping... if I'm sleeping underneath the stars, I think about the fact that the earth is revolving around its axis, and orbiting the sun... I'll align myself with the revolutions and try to comprehend the fact that I'm actually moving while seemingly at rest in my sleeping bag. Existence... it's quite amazing

--------------------

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: This world trips me out [Re: Krishna]
    #2411183 - 03/09/04 02:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

krishna:  Yes camping does it to me every time, and im excited to be doing that next week...give my self a bit of center.

Trendal: Definately, its absolutely amazing to think about how perfect everything is for us, isnt it :smile:

spokesman: I jumped to a conclusion on that phrase, but i see what you mean and agree 100% :smile:

Skorp:  :P

--Kremlin

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Re: This world trips me out [Re: trendal]
    #2411546 - 03/09/04 04:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

Some people say it's not a remarkable thing that we are here. They will point to, perhaps, the Multiverse theory - saying that out of all the infinite universes in the multiverse there are bound to be at least some which can support life. Of course we exist in one of these.

That still doesn't change my awe.
:shocked:

Isn't the fact that a universe exists at all a crazy thought?? The fact that we can look at a flower, it's giving you oxygen and you are giving it Carbon dioxide. Without each other, neither could live. How can anyone deny the perfect balance???

:confused: :stash: :spliff: :eek: :smirk:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology