Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePiecefillpath247
Stranger and Stranger Still

Loc: Maybe
Growing Acaica Accuminata
    #24097561 - 02/17/17 01:07 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Greetings,

I recently acquired some Acacia accuminata seeds.

The seeds were put into boiling water then removed from heat and allowed to sit for 24 hours.

The swollen seeds were the placed in propagation cubes in a 72 cell humidity dome with a seed mat beneath.

I have two CFL shop lights above, one 4ft one 8ft away, I dont recall the spectrum but I have other house plants and am wintering some other plants indoors underneath them and they appear to be doing fine.

My intention is to eventually plant the A.A. outside (USDA zone 7a (0 - 5 degrees F, -17.8 - -15 Deg C)) I have appropriately sandy soil and a ready water source.

My questions are as follows.

1) Some of the seeds have begun to germinate and the earliest have grown about 2 inches of the last week, however it doesn't appear that any of the seedlings were able to cast of the seed coating. So at the top of each seeding the cotyledons are trapped inside the seed coat still. Root growth normal.

I tried to manually remove the seed coat from one of the seedlings and accidentally pulled the cotyledons off with the coat. Should I wait for the coats to fall off naturally or should I continue mechanical intervention? I worry the seeds will become light deprived if the cotyledons remain covered.

2) How should I go about acclimatizing my seedlings and when? I don't want to shock them from their warm moist humidity dome environment but gotta plant em some time. I have some Recycled organic living soil in large multi gallon geobags, can I transplant them directly? How far away should my light source be?

3)Taking this outside. Eventually I want to plant these A.A. outside, I reckon that my USDA zone might work, but maybe a bit cold, any suggestions? should I just keep them in the geo pots? If I can take them outside when is the best time of year to do it? end of summer? should I wait a year and let them establish before taking them outside?

Much appreciated for your time, I'll be sure a provide pictures in my updates at some point in the future.

--------------------
"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance"
-Alan Watts

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePiecefillpath247
Stranger and Stranger Still

Loc: Maybe
Re: Growing Acaica Accuminata [Re: Piecefillpath247]
    #24098175 - 02/17/17 05:30 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Today's research indicates...

1)Its fairly common for A.A. to have trouble discarding their seed coat, although I couldn't find any reasonable solutions or reasons why this happens other than to maybe plant the seeds a bit deeper.

2)Best I could find is to begin acclimatization when they're around 3 inches and have dropped their seed coat/showing cotyledons. Unsure about the ROLS as it might be a little strong for their taste in phosphorus. Going from dome to pot shouldn't be a problem. Light should be periodically closer until new growth has a red tinge to it.

3)Maybe not ideal to take them outside in my current zone, frost tolerant up to 23 degrees F, which it gets colder than that in this zone.

geopots would work but not idea, propagation tubes which are taller being better.

Letting them get a years growth at least would improve their hardiness for out door transplant, if that were available to me.

How did I do? any suggestions or pointers?

--------------------
"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance"
-Alan Watts

Invisiblesharpie117
Living the dream

Re: Growing Acaica Accuminata [Re: Piecefillpath247]
    #24099445 - 02/18/17 06:09 AM (3 months, 2 days ago)

I had the same problem with Acacia accuminata seed coatings getting stuck.
I wet the casings occasionally, that seemed to help them split.
And for the stubborn ones I wet them and gently pinched the tip and they slid off.

They don't really like rich soils or fertilizers.
Not sure about their cold tolerance but they have survived a few light snow falls.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden