Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Fruits of my labour
    #2409171 - 03/08/04 09:45 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Today I encountered some fungi on my journeys and while I'm confident on a few of them, I wouldn't mind some confirmation.

a. Habitat: On a cow paddock in Eastern Australia (SE QLD), all growing on dry dung, surrounded by lots of grass. This was 4 days after a heavy rainfall. Each mushroom was alone when I found it.

I suspect this to be a massive cube.

b. Characteristics of the gills: Well they're dark with a bit of gold/amber on the tips. You can see it quite clearly in the pics.

c. Measurements of cap and stem.: cap: 3.5 inches, stem: 4.5 inches

d. Characteristics of the stem: Thick stem, very thin hollow tunnel inside, slight green color.

e. Characteristics of the cap: Slightly Wavy. Seems gold in the middle, and whiter on the edges. Cap has blackening in some places, and where blades of grass were fallen on cap there is no blackening.

f. Spore print color (very important!): When handling the mushroom I got dark deposits on my hands. The grass around the mushroom was also darkened. Here is a sample:

Pressed onto paper there appears to be a slight purpliness to the marks it leaves behind, but I can't be certain.

g. Color that the mushroom bruises: grey/blue and blue/green

h. Scent of mushroom: it smelt like a mushroom :/

Here are a couple pics of smaller mushrooms I found displaying similar properties

Smaller ones (1.5 inch diameter caps, 3.5 inch length stem)

The last one there has a slightly more bulbous head. It's scent is less strong, and the gills are considerably lighter in colour.

Now, I was expecting to get Copelandia Cyanescens in this field, and I only found 2 that could fit the bill.
I didn't really pay attention to what they were growing in, but I suspect there was some poo there, that wasn't too obvious, like hidden under the grass.
They both have black spores, although the gills were grey, and they smell like copes i've had before.
In the pictures I've squished them down, they were originally dome shaped, not flat like my other shrooms, and the gills were angled upwards toward the stem, like i've seen on cops before.
These guys were white/lightgrey when I found them, they're now staining grey/blue:

First one is very tiny. Quarter inch diameter cap, and 2 inch stem.

This one is the size I normally get copes, 1 inch diamter cap, 3 inch stem.

Here is a picture of the gills, though they've darkened considerably since I picked them, plus it's not a good photo:

Like I said, I'm certain enough that these are copes, despite not really being sure what they were growing in. The area was also recently flooded so it appeared like a bit of a swamp where they were growing.

OK now this one is a mystery. It shaped a bit like the suspected cubes, but it's a bloody albino!

No spores are dropping from it, or maybe i just can't see them, any tips?
2 inch cap diamter, 3 inch stem.
The stem is hollow. The cap has a bumpy texture on it. The very middle has brown/gold color, but apart from that it's mostly white. Bruises a darker gold/brown.

--------------------
Don't give me that load of bunk~!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: teen]
    #2409311 - 03/08/04 10:31 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Re: Fruits of my labour [Re: ]
    #2409317 - 03/08/04 10:33 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Wasn't intending to eat the last one, but just incase it is psilocybin containing, i'll keep it.

I'm confident enough with the others to make some tea, might just wait for another response tho :laugh:

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Fruits of my labour [Re: teen]
    #2409685 - 03/09/04 12:19 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Yup, you got Psilocybe cubensis in the first few pictures, and then there are the Copelandia cyanescens in the middle... The last one is something that I am unfamiliar with, and as you said definetly not edible or hallucinogenic.

Great finds!  :thumbup:

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Re: Fruits of my labour [Re: angryshroom]
    #2409731 - 03/09/04 12:32 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

thanks guys, tea made, and i'm buckling up for a ride :P

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2409806 - 03/09/04 01:08 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

You crazy mang..

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2409978 - 03/09/04 03:10 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

You can see the light violet-chocolate-purple-brown coloration on the top of the cap of cube number 3 image.
And I would avoid eating the whitish sporeless shroom, also try not to pick rotted over grown cubes. The worms usually discourage anyone from eating them in that condition. Bacteria could affect you from rotted waterd older shrooms.

Nice find, a little weather beaten but cool.

Enjoy.

mj

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Re: Fruits of my labour [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2410076 - 03/09/04 04:52 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Yes the weather is rough in these parts.  When it rains, boy does that area get wiped.  None of the grass stands up straight, it's all lying flat against the ground, because of the currents of water that swept across them just days before.
And when the sun comes out it's very hot, absolutely scorching.  My eyelids sweat when I wear sunglasses, and the sweat somehow manages to find itself onto the glasses :laugh:

So it's worms that nibbled those cubes?  Oh well I finished the job for them :laugh:

This was my first time with Cubes,  It's always been copes before this.  I went out to people to have fun with these tonight, but ended up secluded myself in the darkness of the bathroom, and I now know why they are called the golden teacher :P

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2413470 - 03/10/04 01:16 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Hi, nice finds teen,

Yep, (like they said) the first ones are Psilocybe cubensis,
And then you had some Copelandia cyanescens,

And the last one is garbagio.

Keep shroomin,
GG

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2418200 - 03/11/04 05:14 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Nice finds :thumbup: :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Fruits of my labour [Re: doc34]
    #2418516 - 03/11/04 08:45 AM (20 years, 22 days ago)

i beleive the last one is most likely Chlorophyllum molybdites, deadly.

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Fruits of my labour [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2419564 - 03/11/04 02:24 PM (20 years, 21 days ago)

i'm thinking more along the lines of a lepiota or maybe a parasol.. but either way its only use is for looking (not eating)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale