Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemorrowasted
एकम् सत् विप्रा बहुधा वदन्ति
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan
    #24093727 - 02/15/17 09:28 PM (9 months, 23 days ago)

Full Article

Some tidbits:

Quote:

"From this perspective, it doesn’t matter whether Kek is “really” a chaos god. Sociologically speaking, he might as well be. Likewise, meme magic, to the extent that that it serves as a record of cultural engagement, is real too. So too the “reality” of ubiquitous fake news sites, which, while being wildly inaccurate propositionally, nevertheless govern events — just look at the controversy over “Pizzagate” — to an extent that renders them functionally significant: narratives, no less than an account of the Fall or salvation, that govern who we are.
To promulgate meme magic is to claim for oneself a higher code, a deeper freedom that derives from seeing the world as constructed, and constructable, rather than given. From this perspective, the “real” world — with its rules, its restrictions on what you can and cannot say, what you can and cannot do in public — is secular, in the sense that it lacks meaning. It is an un-sacred space, and thus nothing there can or should be treated with respect. In the world of Kek, affecting the world with racist lies and memes — all with an ironic smirk — returns the possibility of free, meaningful action to believers, and makes them heroes. The freedom to not really mean anything you say becomes the only way to have meaning in life. Irony is the greatest freedom of all."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: morrowasted] * 1
    #24093735 - 02/15/17 09:31 PM (9 months, 23 days ago)

:underage:

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

Offlinemorrowasted
एकम् सत् विप्रा बहुधा वदन्ति
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: Shroomopotamus] * 2
    #24093740 - 02/15/17 09:34 PM (9 months, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomopotamus said:

Let's try again. This time, read, and don't post irrelevant graemlins.
Quote:

Among the white nationalists on 4chan’s “politically incorrect,” or /pol/ board and on “alt-right” Twitter — or anywhere you might run into a picture of Pepe the Frog — there is a cryptic but popular saying: “Praise Kek.” Kek is how World of Warcraft translates “lol” when it’s revealed to members of opposing alliances, but it is also, conveniently, a name for a serpent-headed Egyptian chaos god.

Among shitposters, these two identities have been conflated to make Kek a kind of ironicized divinity invoked to account for “meme magic” — when something espoused and affirmed in the digital realm also becomes true beyond it. Memes about Hillary Clinton being sick, for example, “came true” when she collapsed of pneumonia this past September 11. And Fidel Castro’s death — occurring on the capitalist holiday of Black Friday — has been making the Twitter rounds with the same “praise Kek” tag.

Most of the people posting about Kek don’t actually believe that Pepe the Frog is an avatar of an ancient Egyptian chaos god, or that the numerology of 4chan “gets” — when posts are assigned a fortuitous ID number — somehow predicted Donald Trump’s presidential victory. (Theodør K. Ferreøl goes into more detail about that claim here.) It’s a joke, of course — but also not a joke. As one self-identified active member of the alt-right told me, “I don’t believe in God. But I say ‘Praise Kek’ more than I’ve ever said anything about God.”

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Cyberwarfare operative
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: morrowasted] * 1
    #24093741 - 02/15/17 09:34 PM (9 months, 23 days ago)

Kek is gonna strike you down boy, I tell you hwhat.

OfflineKonyap
lurker

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #24093924 - 02/15/17 10:36 PM (9 months, 23 days ago)

Offlineakira_akuma
Represents Enlil's Fear

Loc: Citizen of UMMM-Merica
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: morrowasted] * 4
    #24093948 - 02/15/17 10:45 PM (9 months, 23 days ago)

Chaos magic is funny, look how twisted it's made Bodhi of Ankou.

in Kekistan, the meme's meme you!:yesnod:

InvisiblePatrickKn

Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: akira_akuma] * 1
    #24093974 - 02/15/17 10:55 PM (9 months, 23 days ago)

4chan is and always has been the cancer of the internet. It spawning it's own fucked up memeligion is only par for the course.

Offlineakira_akuma
Represents Enlil's Fear

Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: PatrickKn]
    #24093976 - 02/15/17 10:57 PM (9 months, 23 days ago)

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
4chan is and always has been the cancer of the internet. It spawning it's own fucked up memeligion is only par for the course.

always people vying for control...and some people thrive on Chaos. :evil:

Offlinetwighead
mͯó

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmi...
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: akira_akuma]
    #24094167 - 02/16/17 01:19 AM (9 months, 23 days ago)

pool is closed :sad:

--------------------

¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: morrowasted]
    #24094242 - 02/16/17 02:22 AM (9 months, 23 days ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Quote:

Shroomopotamus said:

Let's try again. This time, read, and don't post irrelevant graemlins.
Quote:

Among the white nationalists on 4chan’s “politically incorrect,” or /pol/ board and on “alt-right” Twitter — or anywhere you might run into a picture of Pepe the Frog — there is a cryptic but popular saying: “Praise Kek.” Kek is how World of Warcraft translates “lol” when it’s revealed to members of opposing alliances, but it is also, conveniently, a name for a serpent-headed Egyptian chaos god.

Among shitposters, these two identities have been conflated to make Kek a kind of ironicized divinity invoked to account for “meme magic” — when something espoused and affirmed in the digital realm also becomes true beyond it. Memes about Hillary Clinton being sick, for example, “came true” when she collapsed of pneumonia this past September 11. And Fidel Castro’s death — occurring on the capitalist holiday of Black Friday — has been making the Twitter rounds with the same “praise Kek” tag.

Most of the people posting about Kek don’t actually believe that Pepe the Frog is an avatar of an ancient Egyptian chaos god, or that the numerology of 4chan “gets” — when posts are assigned a fortuitous ID number — somehow predicted Donald Trump’s presidential victory. (Theodør K. Ferreøl goes into more detail about that claim here.) It’s a joke, of course — but also not a joke. As one self-identified active member of the alt-right told me, “I don’t believe in God. But I say ‘Praise Kek’ more than I’ve ever said anything about God.”

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: morrowasted]
    #24094249 - 02/16/17 02:27 AM (9 months, 23 days ago)

The whole lot of it seems like nonsense to me :shrug:

Offlineakira_akuma
Represents Enlil's Fear

Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: Mush 4 Brains] * 1
    #24094285 - 02/16/17 03:02 AM (9 months, 23 days ago)

memetic propaganda isn't real.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: akira_akuma] * 2
    #24095262 - 02/16/17 02:39 PM (9 months, 22 days ago)

I didn't know about any of this meme bullshit/retard frog til I first saw it here not long ago. A pocket of the internet I never wandered...

I don't have a Facebook (never have, likely never will) so I don't have people pushing their goofy political opinions from that source. And also while I do follow current events and politics I tend to focus more on the left who are dominating my state and life here in this waste land known as cook county/IL

Same thing with this alt right bs, only  heard about it for the first time a few months ago. Which by description sounds good at first. You know, an alternative to mainstream conservatism... Unfortunately it's not that.. Definitely not a group I'm in support of.

I think lefties gravitate towards this minority group so they can say "see this is what the right is like."

I don't think these memes made a huge difference. I'd wager most of your baby boomers/elderly voters weren't influenced by this meme crap. Furthermore I believe most people have/had their opinions set already and were not swayed by any of this idiocy.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmi...
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: Mush 4 Brains] * 2
    #24095332 - 02/16/17 03:07 PM (9 months, 22 days ago)

We've been using pepe for many years before it became associated with that shit :lolsy::feelsgoodman:

--------------------

¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: twighead]
    #24095339 - 02/16/17 03:12 PM (9 months, 22 days ago)

Yeah I remember the feels good frog, for some reason I just thought it was a different particular frog lol

OfflineKonyap
lurker

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24095550 - 02/16/17 04:32 PM (9 months, 22 days ago)

It's from a comic where some guy ask pepe why he's pissing outside in a bush and he says :feelsgoodman:

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
    #24095684 - 02/16/17 05:24 PM (9 months, 22 days ago)

Who is this "4chan"?

--------------------

Google: Pippa Bacca

Offlineakira_akuma
Represents Enlil's Fear

Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24095763 - 02/16/17 05:55 PM (9 months, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Mush 4 Brains said:
I didn't know about any of this meme bullshit/retard frog til I first saw it here not long ago. A pocket of the internet I never wandered...

I don't have a Facebook (never have, likely never will) so I don't have people pushing their goofy political opinions from that source. And also while I do follow current events and politics I tend to focus more on the left who are dominating my state and life here in this waste land known as cook county/IL

Same thing with this alt right bs, only  heard about it for the first time a few months ago. Which by description sounds good at first. You know, an alternative to mainstream conservatism... Unfortunately it's not that.. Definitely not a group I'm in support of.

that's fair.

Quote:

I think lefties gravitate towards this minority group so they can say "see this is what the right is like."

i think there is alot more people that make up the alt-right than those whom just "check it out", though. those who just "check it out", aren't really representative of the alt-right, is what i am getting at.

also: in regards to the alt-right: there are probably alot of alt-righters that'd not only disagree with you, but they'd vehemently state "no normies allowed" and proceed to shitpost about (((The Tribe))), and telling you to stop spreading such vile lies about the alt-right. :lol:

Quote:

I don't think these memes made a huge difference. I'd wager most of your baby boomers/elderly voters weren't influenced by this meme crap. Furthermore I believe most people have/had their opinions set already and were not swayed by any of this idiocy.

most of the baby boomers were irrelevant...it was the younger voter that swung the election. :shrug: the memes definitely got them on board. otherwise...Trump would have had the support of the baby boomers, but not near as much support from young voters, who would have kept to their liberal ideology, instead of focusing more on the alt-right, like you described above. :shrug: in my opinion.

InvisiblePatrickKn

Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: Apostle] * 2
    #24095778 - 02/16/17 05:59 PM (9 months, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Apostle said:
Who is this "4chan"?

If your profile pic is any indication, he's the father you never had.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Apocalypse Whatever: The making of a racist, sexist religion of nihilism on 4Chan [Re: akira_akuma]
    #24095796 - 02/16/17 06:04 PM (9 months, 22 days ago)

Ahh but you see the vastly liberal controlled media led me to believe the youth in large part were against trump so I'm kinda confused..

The youth were the ones to tip the scales to a trump victory? I honestly doubt it. I think of the youth that did vote for trump, only a minority were self-identified as alt-right.

The baby boomers and the elderly probably outweigh the millenials in voter turnout. Don't quote me on that, it's just that past trends would back my belief up..

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Scales

Community >> The Pub