Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
amanita pantherina???
    #2407903 - 03/08/04 04:22 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Is this what I think it is??  I found it under an oak tree along the side of the road next to a cow pasture.  Sorry about the pics, new camera. 
It has warts on the cap and looks like the amanita pantherina's on erowids mushroom gallery.  If it cant be identified like this i still have it but it is dried out and i will be willing to send it to someone (with a reputable reputation) to further id it. I also did not take a spore print but i inverted it so it couldnt drop its spores if that is possible.

:mushroom2:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: amanita pantherina??? [Re: doc34]
    #2408240 - 03/08/04 05:23 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

One of the main features you need to see to identify an Amanita is the base of the stem. Hopefully you dug up the base of the stem so you got it all. Try posting a photo of the stem and especially the base of the stem, as seen from the side.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2408281 - 03/08/04 05:32 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Looks like an Inocybe species. However, were the gills white?

And why in the hell is that enlargement only one inch in size?

mj

Do not eat.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: amanita pantherina??? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2408432 - 03/08/04 06:14 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

here is a sorry pic - like i said it was a new camera

i had hoped these would have came out better so i didnt take anymore.
the ring around the stem was caused from severe handling- it was all white - gills and stem

and as for that enlargement in the other photo when i downloaded the pic from the damn camera it was 588 kb's and i was only alowed 400 so i had to make it smaller and i dont know what went wrong after that(computer illiterate dumbass)lol sorry

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (03/08/04 06:25 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2408609 - 03/08/04 07:10 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Maybe a Lepiota. It is not Amanita pantherina. The stem is not the right color and is awful thin for pantherina.

mj
Check Erowid.org o for a nicve Amanita pantherina foto.

mj

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #2408739 - 03/08/04 07:55 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

i wouldent fudge aroung with a white amanita

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: amanita pantherina??? [Re: notapillow]
    #2410026 - 03/09/04 03:53 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

can anyone id this after it is dried out?

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2410034 - 03/09/04 04:09 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

this mushroom was treated very bad due to circumstances beyond my control(my ride left me for 6 hours lol-and then it was left in a hot car for another 2-3 hours.
when i found this the first thing i noticed was the warts on top of the cap,thought it was dirt or debri at first until i tried to brush it off then i thought to myself "this resembles an amanita".so as soon as i got home i went str8 to "erowids vaults" and from what i see its an "amanita pantherina" but im no expert but here is one of the pics that i think it looks very much alike.
what other mushies have these warts on the cap?
also the stem was white and quite thick especially around the base of the stem and it had what resembled warts on the very bottom of the stem "bulb shaped " i guess at the very bottom of the stem

i have no idea what this damn thing is but i have done alot of studying and thats what i thought it was when i first saw it.

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (03/09/04 04:16 AM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2423486 - 03/12/04 10:44 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

i'm going to stress: A. pantherina does not grow in North America. you will not find it. what you might find is any one of several similar species. these species, like a great many in the genus bear such close resemblance thant they will fool many experienced mushroom hunters and even profesional muycologists [the reason A. pantherina was ever thought to grow here in the first place]. i hope you will do yourself a favor and start with safer genera.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: amanita pantherina??? [Re: canid]
    #2423586 - 03/12/04 11:09 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Oh I;m not going to eat it!I just wanted to know if it was it or not.I only eat cubies right now cause "I" can id them, I have no earthly idea what the hell this is-thats why i posted this- I find it enjoyable just finding one that I have no idea about and getting the chance to post it here for an id.
Thank you all for your reply's! :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2423693 - 03/12/04 11:36 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Hi Concrete Feet,
I was just on the phone with Hildegard who is with the Puget OSound Mycological Society and yes we do have Amanita pantherina her eint he PNW with at least two variations of it.

mj

If you need to talk to her about it, her number is int he phone book under the heading of Puget SOound Mycological Society and listen to a recording and press 3, after the recording is over for her number.

This is a public service number so it is listed int he phone books here in Seattle.

mjshroomer

This is supported by DNA work by the way.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2427479 - 03/13/04 01:14 PM (20 years, 19 days ago)

MJ: while i don't explicitly disbelieve you on this one, post supporting data, not arguments.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Anonymous

#2431951 - 03/14/04 04:55 PM (20 years, 18 days ago)

A pantherina does grow in the the US I have seen it and many people have picked it. The claim that it does not grow here is based of nit picky/arbitrary classification stystems.

If a mushroom is identical in all respects to another muchroom except maybe the spore size is larger that does not make it a fundamentaly different species.

It doesn't matter if the brown, white warrted mushroom that grow in America conforms exactly to the ones in another country, at most you just have different varities.

Anonymous

#2431959 - 03/14/04 04:57 PM (20 years, 18 days ago)

Thats not A panthrina in the top photos there

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract