Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: At The Gates
Re: UPDATE of my grow log Agrocybe Aegerita or Cob Web [Re: TravelAgency]
    #24175459 - 03/19/17 06:25 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

That's pretty crazy, not a lot of mushies take to monotubs. This would only be the second that I heard of, Reshi being the 1st. Do you think it would be possible to fruit these as blocks and then when they appear exhausted, or almost exhausted crumbling them up or LI smoothie them into a monotub, like people try with cakes? I wasn't sure if waiting until they are about exhausted as blocks would impact them on colonizing new substrate in a monotub.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek
My Agrocybe Aegerita Grow Log

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: UPDATE of my grow log 3-20 [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24178894 - 03/20/17 10:59 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I had a couple more bags of oak sub sterilized and ready to be spawned. Both of these bags had coffee gounds, egg shells, and a few other nutes to their mixture. I wrote on each one what was in it with a black perm marker and the PC still took it right off. I guess I will have to rethink how their marked.

I just used one jar of spawn. The Rye grains were innoc. with an agar wedge of Black Poplar myc, hence the title of my grow log, AA. The jars were left to consolidate an extra week or two after 100% colonization.

I shook the jars up pretty good. You can still see the little piece of agar in the jar. Sucked dry. lol

I prepped these bags a little differently. This is a variation of how RR does his bags in the video. The sub went in and I cut off a foot from my tyvek suit and put it over the opening. Well, I cut off both feet.

Then I accordion style folded them down. Like so:

Wrapped in rubber bands to hold them in place.

I opened the bags, which were still a bit of accordion like. I really like this method. Keeps everything neat, usable and sterile.

I dumped the sub in each bag and broke up the pieces.

I heat seal each bag with my food saver vaccum sealer. It has a seal only mode. Works great for these bags. Mixing up the sub and spawn turns it into a blob because the bag only has a little bit of air in it.

2 bags done and ready to sit for a couple weeks.
:awedance:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24179003 - 03/20/17 11:40 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Nice mate! Look forward to seeing your progress. Now's the time to upgrade your Greenhouse! When you fruit black poplar/Pioppino/AA you want to top fruit if you are going to fruit from the blocks. But I'm telling you- using one of those as sawdust spawn will generate enough trays to take up your entire GH. I have no experience other than on Agar with Piopinno but from what I have read about it I really think getting your GH dialed in and spawning them into trays would be quite fruitful for you. Looking forward to see what comes! Love your dedication mate!

--------------------

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: UPDATE of my grow log 3-20 [Re: TravelAgency]
    #24179876 - 03/21/17 11:45 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I think I will follow it and spawn one of the original blocks to a couple trays. I have 6 bags spawned right now, and a couple experiments I want to try, which I will post on the grow log. Before I fruit any of the bags I need to work on dialing the GH in, like you said. I have a humidifier, which I cleaned up last night. It works well, but I am a little concerned that the steam may heat the GH temperature up too high. Do you find this to be a problem? I believe you used a fogger in yours so I wasn't sure if you would have heat problems or not.
The guide and post all say a cooler fruiting temp for the AA, like 60-65F, or lower. Besides the humidifier, fans for FAE and indirect light, can you think of anything else I should do? Like a cold shock on them or something else?

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24180299 - 03/21/17 02:37 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I haven't noticed a sizable difference in temperature using a fogger.

--------------------

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24183541 - 03/22/17 04:37 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Let me know if you have any Tek's to follow on the tray method with these Poplar's. If not, I'll just wing it. :thumbup:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24183578 - 03/22/17 04:48 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Honestly I'd just ensure you have at least a 4in depth of substrate- maybe 6in. Once again I haven't done this myself so I'm not 100% on it just going off of a few things I've read.  You can do a low spawn ratio too usin. Sawdust so just 1 o those blocks you can probably spawn into enough trays to fill you GH.

--------------------

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24183634 - 03/22/17 05:03 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I'm wondering if I should put supplements in it, like coffee grains, bran, etc. It will probably raise the contam risk factor but with a lower spawn ratio I am thinking they will need the nutes in those trays. Do you know if I am suppose to cold shock these blocks before fruiting them. I can't find reliable info on this variety with cold shocking.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24183670 - 03/22/17 05:14 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

If you supplement you must sterilize- better to do that at the initial bag phase. I've had a lot of luck with unsupplemented oysters so I'd say you'd be fine. I don't know about cold shocking with this species :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24183704 - 03/22/17 05:27 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, that's what I have been doing with all of these bags. Sterilize for a few hours. I guess I will cold shock a few and see how the results go compared to the others going strait into fruiting.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24184012 - 03/22/17 07:24 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Side by sides are always a good way of doing things IMO

--------------------

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

#24184640 - 03/23/17 12:09 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I will try to side by side each block and tray I do differently. I really was putting some effort in labeling the different ingredients in each bag on the outside with black marker. I didn't realize the electric PC took it right off. If I get lucky and none of them contam I will be straight with what I can mix in.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Quick UPDATE of my grow log 3-22 [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24184699 - 03/23/17 12:54 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I just wanted to post the progress of the last "oven bag" block I spawned with black poplar about a week ago. I put a considerable amount of sub in this Reynolds Oven Bag. I could have put more in, because these bags are used for cooking turkeys. I stuck a Muffler on it as you can see earlier in this grow log. This bag was put in a lighting cycle of 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

I thought it was doing good given its oven bag handicap. I did run into a small problem. The myc appeared to be either consuming the water quicker then I had anticipated, I was a little off on field capacity, or the bag allows moisture to seep out. Just seemed a little bit dry on the outer most layer. Not much, but I decided to address it anyways.

It was colonized enough I felt comfortable taking off the muffler and spraying it with distilled water.

I soaked it pretty good because the other two oven bag blocks that I sprayed became a little dry after 3-4 days.

I decided to spray them a second time today too.

On the plus side the extra moisture is helping them to finish colonizing the oak wood shavings. That was another theory I had. That the use of "wood shavings" in the place of saw dust allows space and air flow between and through the sub. This could account for evaporation in the oven bag because the filters were not packed tight.

They were sprayed heavily. Might have to let some water out if it is sitting and not absorbed by the block. We'll see.

Oh Yeah! I almost forgot. My AA 921 came in the mail. This thing is like a piece of machinery. I was not expecting it to be this big. I have to say that I could actually put my electric PC inside of the 921 and sterilize it. lol  It even came with a CD on how to use it.

:stircauldron:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

Offlinefilyep
Dr.

Re: Quick UPDATE of my grow log 3-22 [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24189324 - 03/24/17 05:55 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

You don't need to cold shock them just pop them straight into your greenhouse. A lot of the time they pin invitro.

I might try a tray grow today myself actually.

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Quick UPDATE of my grow log 3-22 [Re: filyep]
    #24189749 - 03/24/17 08:30 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

filyep said:
You don't need to cold shock them just pop them straight into your greenhouse. A lot of the time they pin invitro.

I might try a tray grow today myself actually.

Good to hear. I may try cold shocking one of them, just to see if it fruits quicker, but I won't waste my time doing it on all of them.
BTW, you pic didn't post.
I am going to try a tray with the oven bag block I had under my bed next to the heater, which subsequently cooked it.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineForresterM
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick UPDATE of my grow log 3-22 [Re: filyep]
    #24190169 - 03/24/17 10:45 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

filyep said:

+1 on that.  You shouldn't need to cold shock them at all.  When they're ready to fruit, it will be hard to stop them from doing so (unless your conditions suck or something).  Cold shocking might just slow them down.

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Quick UPDATE of my grow log 3-22 [Re: Forrester]
    #24191096 - 03/25/17 10:00 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I got that. The problem I am wrestling with is the fruiting conditions. Some fruit in the bag, while most cut the top off. The info I have read says the AA likes to have a casing layer. wasn't sure if I should go through the trouble. These block are not enormous or anything. Not really sure there is a need to case. Also, I am not sure if I should give a week after 100% colonization to consolidate, seeing as the sub is wood and all.

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

InvisibleMushenstein
Brain Damage

Re: Quick UPDATE 3-25 [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24193093 - 03/25/17 10:36 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Things are moving along in different stages. I had some progress on some of the dry bags and some "not progress" on one bag in particular.
:discodance:
This is the Green House. I don't have anything ready to fruit so there is not a humidifier in it yet, but I am using it as an incubation station. I still have a colonized jar of grain and some aging colonized agar plates that need used up or thrown out. So I will be doing a few more bags.

These are the three bags I inoculated about 3 weeks ago. They look like they are going well and will be done in a week, well except for the last one which I think is contaminated. :whatever:

The outside edges look 100% colonized and are nice and white. I need to make sure the middle of each bag is done. So they get another week.

This one looks contaminated with mold? This is one of the only bags I presoaked the oak shavings in a pot with coffee water. Seems like the coffee water may have made the bag susceptible to molding. Any opinions, please jump in. I am always up for an opinion.

This block is 100% colonized and consolidated, but it had some dry oak shavings on top. About a 1/4 inch of it. I just felt that it could finish if I sprayed some water on it. It looks to be finishing up just fine. Not sure if you can see it through the bag. :whoyougonnacall:

This is the behemoth oven bag that I inoculated. It seemed to be drying a little on the sides so I opened it and took the "muffler" off and sprayed it. Seems to be doing good. Still needs two weeks to finish up.

These are the two bags I put coffee in with the oak shavings. I just inoculated them last weekend.

Each of them has lots of inoculation points where the grains are. looks great. 3 more weeks and ready to fruit. :naughty:

This is the oven bag with a "muffler" that I put in a pot and placed under my bed. It dried out significantly because of the heating vent under my bed. I sprayed the heck out of it. Not sure what it is doing, if anything. This will be getting broken up and put into trays. I would like it to finish first, if possible.

:mushdance:

--------------------
This is how I get down!

Muffler Tek
Slump's BRF Grinder Tek

OfflineForresterM
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick UPDATE 3-25 [Re: Mushenstein]
    #24193831 - 03/26/17 08:11 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

It's hard to tell by the pics, but I don't see any glaring contamination in the one you mentioned, maybe I'm missing it?  Coffee often does cause problems.

I wouldn't bother casing with this species, I never did and got great flushes, without having to clean of casing layer crap to eat them.  But that's one of those matter of opinion things, some like to case, some don't.  This species should do fine either way.

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Offlinepoponon
Quaaaack!!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Quick UPDATE 3-25 [Re: Forrester]
    #24193887 - 03/26/17 08:52 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
It's hard to tell by the pics, but I don't see any glaring contamination in the one you mentioned, maybe I'm missing it?  Coffee often does cause problems.

I wouldn't bother casing with this species, I never did and got great flushes, without having to clean of casing layer crap to eat them.  But that's one of those matter of opinion things, some like to case, some don't.  This species should do fine either way.

Just seconding this - a lot of the grows I've been looking at have been very successful with . here's a pretty awesome recent one uncased-  https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23848524/fpart/1/vc/1

also - on youtube I saw Mushfarmer's piopinno grow fail when he used a casing. He did not try it without a casing though  and was also dealing with some contam issues in his fruiting room at the time iirc. 

I know stamet's says to use a casing in GGMM but it must just be the strain he using.

--------------------
:smile: Y e e t!! :smile:

My Trade List

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies