Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Do shrooms grow faster in the wild?
    #2407624 - 03/08/04 05:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

How come in terrariums mushrooms take over a week to grow, but in the wild they are expected to pop up a couple days after the rain?

I'm specifically interested in Copelandia Cyans.

--------------------
Don't give me that load of bunk~!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth
Re: Do shrooms grow faster in the wild? [Re: teen]
    #2408724 - 03/08/04 09:51 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ive always wondered the same.......But........It takes the same amount of time for the mycelium and all that to mature,but then I think it takes less time for the fruit to fruit(lol)in the wild for some reason,I think,Is that right anyone?
Anyways,I was wondering why I can grow shrooms(I dont though/Hypothetically)and them take like 2 weeks to mature,and then I can go outside and find shroome that matured or popped up just over night........hows this possible?
Thanks,
Peace,
PF~

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2409678 - 03/09/04 02:16 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The environmental conditions outside are usually optimum for growth...They have natural sunlight, natural oxygen to breathe, and just very healthy conditions to grow.

Think about the difference between being inside a plastic box, inside a house with a dinky light above compared to being in a big huge beautiful feild with the prope nutrients and environment!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2410053 - 03/09/04 06:28 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It takes form four to six weeks for shrooms to appear in cow manure and in a terrarium usually after 13 days of spawn and compost mixture, not a week.

And while out door shrooms may pop up right after rain, they have usually been growing underground or in themanure for form four to six weeks.

Of course some grow directly from fresh manure but then that is because the mycelia was growing int he manure inthe cows stomach for a while.

Most outrdoor cubes and copes take four to six weeks to fruit after the manure has had time to decompose.

mj

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Re: Do shrooms grow faster in the wild? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2410080 - 03/09/04 06:58 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes it all makes sense, I understand that.

But on the other hand the belief is that the fruiting only begins when the rain hits, then they can start absorbing water to balloon up.

Do the pins just stay dormant waiting for the rain to fall?

--------------------
Don't give me that load of bunk~!

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

#2411552 - 03/09/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Do the pins just stay dormant waiting for the rain to fall?

(on dung mushrooms)
When the season is about to begin it will take more time for them to appear , then in the subsequent weeks as the rains hits the pasture the mushrooms will be grown in a shorter time, that is because of the micro-environment that is formed between the bottom of the dung and the surface of the ground which is cool and wet and that is where the mycelium will be. So when a shit pile looks dry on the surface it does not means that there are no mycelium on that micro-environment at the bottom. And of course there will be more spores on the area as the time and the rain goes by.
Remember to always leave some mushrooms intact on the ground,  sporulating... :laugh:

that's IME

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Do shrooms grow faster in the wild? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2411561 - 03/09/04 05:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think I'm going to start collecting quotes from you, this being the first one,

Quote:

Of course some grow directly from fresh manure but then that is because the mycelia was growing int he manure inthe cows stomach for a while.

Thanks MJ :grin:

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Invisibleem_bre_O
shroomery'sembryoticasshole
 User Gallery

Loc: In the stages of develope...
Re: Do shrooms grow faster in the wild? [Re: Joshua]
    #2411585 - 03/09/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Nuff said!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Do shrooms grow faster in the wild? [Re: Joshua]
    #2411689 - 03/09/04 07:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Joshua,

If you go to my site, there is a pictorial of Panaeolus tropicalis, one of only three collections of this mushroom which I found in Hawaii in a 12 year period.

I had picked at the very trail the previous day and nothing was there.

The next morning at about 7:30 am., I took a stroll down a Tractor Trail tourist ride route on Kualoa Ranch and bingo, there they were.

I came back every three days for a total of twenty-one days and each day I moved the leaves away from the manure heap. IF you see in the first image the manure heap is fresh and black. It lasted there for 21 days and then there were no more shrooms. I came back every third day and picked them. They were deposited with Dr. Stijve at Nestles and many at The Bernice P. Bishop Herbarium in Honolulu. Some went to Guzm?n in Xalapa.

There is one picture missing from the posts. When I moved back to Seattle from the islands, one box of photos and papers were lost in the mail.

Anyway, that is a good quote for you to keep.

However, the majority of spores in a field occur where the shrooms grew in manure and were deposited on the surronding blades of grass. I have posted photos of this. The mycelia then grows in the ground around the area where the manure falls and when a cow or buffalo shits on that grass, the shrooms later grow. I have showed over-turned cowpies with pinners growing underneath the manure but from the grass where the manure landed on it. The pinners are in pockets underneath the manure heaps.

Also, the cows constantly eat the mushrooms while chewing grass and this also helps spread the spores in a pasture.

Mj

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2413457 - 03/10/04 03:11 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It takes about the same amount of time for the spores and then mycelium to grow out, but it seems like the fruiting process happens quicker in the wild for some reason.

The fruiting part, seems to be quicker in the wild for some reason.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification