Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

Loc: new england
possible blue-green mold in my grain jars
    #9141487 - 10/27/08 11:27 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hey all,

Last night after spreading the first layer of pasteurized substrate into my brand new monotub and shaking the shit out of my 5 quarts of fully colonized whole field (feed) corn, I noticed the corn didnt exactly look the way I thought it should.  Prior to shaking, the jars looked perfect.  After shaking, many kernels visible at or near the top of the jars appeared to have a blue-green discoloration.  Unfortunately the coloring was subtle enough that I couldnt really tell if it was blue, blue-green, or gray.  It was the same in each of the jars.

I opted instead to spawn to the substrate 3 quarts of colonized wbs I had intended to case individually.

These corn jars were inoculated g2g from wbs in a still air box.  The remaining grain in the source jar was cased in the same session, and later contamed with thick, aggressive white mycelium which turned blue-green.  Needless to say, that casing is no longer with us...

So my question is this: Is what Ive described in the corn jars consistant with a contamination by trich or other blue-greens?  If so, I would expect to see these discolored kernels get greener and fuzzier in the next few days... Right?

Sorry about the lack of pics.  I can throw some up tomorrow if theres any doubt after my description.

And you can take my post count as an accurate reflection of my cultivation experience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: possible blue-green mold in my grain jars [Re: NubeEnLaMontana]
    #9141520 - 10/27/08 11:36 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

a Picture would be nice, but depending on how far it has colonized it could be bruising.

A picture would really be the only way to help, but you said you see some gray, and that doesn't resemble bruising. Get some pictures up like you said, and I think you will get better answers.

--------------------

OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

Re: possible blue-green mold in my grain jars [Re: MHbound]
    #9141573 - 10/27/08 11:52 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks MHB.  I'll get pics tonight.

In the meantime, how would you expect the discolored areas to progress if it was A) bruising, or B) contam?

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
    #9141612 - 10/27/08 12:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Bruising it won't spread, unless you bang it around some more causing more bruising. If it is a contam it will spread probably over night.

--------------------

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #9147042 - 10/28/08 08:58 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NubeEnLaMontana said:
These corn jars were inoculated g2g from wbs in a still air box.  The remaining grain in the source jar was cased in the same session, and later contamed with thick, aggressive white mycelium which turned blue-green.  Needless to say, that casing is no longer with us...

Are you saying that the corn jars were incoculated from wbs that contaminated, after inoculating the corn jars.  How long after casing did the wbs contaminate? And what is the period between you tossing the cased wbs and using the corn jars?

Sorry last question, what do the corn jars look like now?

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

Re: possible blue-green mold in my grain jars [Re: MHbound]
    #9147053 - 10/28/08 09:00 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I took some pictures, but they weren't worth uploading... I couldn't get a clear shot through the jar, and I didn't want to take the lid off.

For the most part, the discoloration has faded.  What is left is undeniably blue.  My impartial girlfriend inspected them and pronounced that she didn't see anything that looked like green.  I believe the gray tinge I was seeing was due to the semi-translucent (if such a descriptor exists) background on parts of the kernel.

Anyway, I'm not celebrating yet, but I'm optimistic.  If they do turn out alright, I'll be a little miffed that I didn't get them into my compost the other night... But I guess I'll get over it.

OfflineNubeEnLaMontana
Woodchuck Hunter
Male

Re: possible blue-green mold in my grain jars [Re: solumvita]
    #9147101 - 10/28/08 09:14 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

solumvita said:

Are you saying that the corn jars were incoculated from wbs that contaminated, after inoculating the corn jars.  How long after casing did the wbs contaminate? And what is the period between you tossing the cased wbs and using the corn jars?

Sorry last question, what do the corn jars look like now?

That's exactly what I'm saying.  I noticed the contam after the casing had mostly colonized and gone into the FC.  I thought it was getting ready to pin, but then my white turned green.  I tossed the casing maybe 2 days prior to my original post, after a half-hearted attempt at halting the spread of the contam using salt paste.

I should also note that a single corn jar from this same transfer contamed within several days of being inoculated (over a week ago).  This was evidenced by a single green fuzzy kernel at the top of the jar.  I suspect that points towards an airborne spore, rather than a g2g'd contam.

See my last post for the current state of the corn.

Offlinedankdun
Stranger
    #24069020 - 02/06/17 02:58 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I have similar concerns

Offlinedankdun
Stranger
Re: possible blue-green mold in my grain jars [Re: dankdun]
    #24069022 - 02/06/17 03:00 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinedankdun
Stranger
    #24069030 - 02/06/17 03:14 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24069656 - 02/06/17 11:29 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Damn you opened that? Shit is moldy AF!

Also instead of bumping an 8 year old thread, make your own next time! :smile:

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

InvisibleNothingsChanged
Striving for Excellence
Male User Gallery

Loc: North/Western WA Flag
Re: possible blue-green mold in my grain jars [Re: Mad Season]
    #24073430 - 02/07/17 07:50 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

is that an air stone on the jar lid?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder