Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Downtime on The Shroomery
    #2406914 - 03/08/04 02:15 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hello everyone,

I'm sure many of you are wondering why our community has been offline for the past few days.  Unfortunately, we have attracted the attention of some negative people who wish nothing but harm upon us and have dedicated their time to seeing that our server has been flooded with various attacks.  For some perspective, the attacks on our server have been increasing since December of 2003 and as of late have been quoted at 800mbit, enough to lag the entire network we are hosted on, jamming almost all traffic to and from our server.

About 45 minutes ago our host informed us that the extreme attacks upon our server had ceased and put our site back in service.  However this does not mean we are in the clear yet.  Whoever is responsible for these Distributed Denial of Service attacks (link: info) has proven themselves dedicated to fucking with us for one reason or another.  Though most of the motives they spout are faulty at best, they seem to have it in for us and might attack us again.   

We are working on ways to solve these problems, though to be quite honest, attacks of this scale are tough to defend against.  I'm certain there is a very small minority (perhaps only one or two people) responsible for these harsh actions taken against a community of thousands who simply want to have a cool place to hang out and exchange information.  But the ball is in their court, they've proven the necessary resources to take servers and even some networks offline, are engaging in completely illegal activity. 

It would be nice if this ended right now, but if it doesn't - this is just a notice to all of our supporting membership that the Shroomery might take some hits at the hands of the selfish, but in the long run a community this strong will survive whatever is dished out :heart:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: geokills]
    #2406983 - 03/08/04 02:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
It would be nice if this ended right now, but if it doesn't - this is just a notice to all of our supporting membership that the Shroomery might take some hits at the hands of the selfish, but in the long run a community this strong will survive whatever is dished out :heart:

Good Point! :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2406984 - 03/08/04 02:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Wow!

So, there is no way to track who is flooding the server?

InvisibleLoki
fluid druid
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2407030 - 03/08/04 02:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

but in the long run a community this strong will survive whatever is dished out :heart:

4 sure  :heart: :sun:

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

#2407036 - 03/08/04 02:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I would also like to point out that the Shroomery's primary concern is keeping this website online and available for those who seek information on magic mushrooms and many other aspects of altered perception and life in general. It should also be noted that the current administration has made zero profit off of this website and some of us have actually been paying out of pocket to get new hardware and pay off various expenses.

If and when this site begins to turn a profit, you will see new features for the community and the expansion of our current information database. The staff here is voluntary and we put in a ridiculous amount of time here because we love this place. It's about passion, not money. With that, I leave you with the apparent perpatrator's argument which was formerly posted at another message board:

Quote:

Comrades, fascist admins at the Shr00mery cry in despair!
#2098461 - 03/08/04 08:02 AM

Quote:

A hardware firewall to prevent such things to some extent costs $5000-$6000 , money which we currently don?t have. -- Anno

Very correct, it's many thousands of machines - which makes this quite the predictament. -- geokills

There are also things being done, we can't discuss everything about this issue but rest assured we are doing everything possible to end this nonesense. -- [****]

Haha, the Shr00mery is FUCKED!!!! No mercy to cowards. Victory is ours. No retreat. No surrender. Not one step backwards!

They're lo$ing because they've embezzled and squandered the money. They've run out of ammunition and supplies. Their forces are stretched too thin to bring us a proper fight. They're even talking about more repression of members to cover their bills. We shall hang these capitalist thieving pigs who dare rob the people.

Soon all the members will be join us -- a free and fair society -- and the vendors will give up on them. We will be the #1 of the shroom sites, comrades.

Commissar of the people.

Ps. How's it feel Anno and your thieving whores! You've been made our bitch. LOL. Soon we will crush 69.28.174.165 www.shr00mery.org

[... third-party postings ...]

They can not ban me, I am the people.

It is high time to expose the capitalist swine of the Shr00mery as the corruption and collusion to the usury of money has forsaken the need of benevolence to the people.

The opportunity for equilibrium and restoration was simplicity itself. We are housed in the same quarters of the animal farm, so it was easy for us to feed the poisons into the troughs of the reactionary pigs who lord a counter-revolution. For that, they are paying the penance for their crimes of embezzlement and the greatest charge of all, treason.

It is known Anno and Lana are suppliers to Sporeworks and have hatched many schemes to racketeer profits off the common man. These blood sucking parasites have not gone unstopped. This has not gone unnoticed. This will not be tolerated.

They are now doomed to our demands for transparency and as long as their own greed has taken their means to move house, we will ensure that they have an uncomfortable stay.

Yours, for the people.
Commissar.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: angryshroom]
    #2407051 - 03/08/04 02:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

> So, there is no way to track who is flooding the server?

I'm sure there are ways, but it will/would/might/could be very difficult :crazy:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #2407156 - 03/08/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

3dshrooms is a whiney pussy....im sure he stepped up his ddos shit after he got banned from chat...the kid is a joke who made his living off of this website...his job was taken away from him... he might actually have to work now...he cant just sit around banging his underage chick, feeding his fat gut and combing his bowl cut anymore. its too bad you guys cant catch that sneaky fuck and prosecute him

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #2407277 - 03/08/04 03:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If It weren't for 3D's site, I would have never found the new Shroomery IP address.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

#2407292 - 03/08/04 03:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It is known Anno and Lana are suppliers to Sporeworks and have hatched many schemes to racketeer profits off the common man. These blood sucking parasites have not gone unstopped. This has not gone unnoticed. This will not be tolerated.

Someone is pissed....
I have also noticed locked threads in the sponsors forum are now gone...deleted.
That ain't right....posts should NEVER be DELETED!!

And, no...it ain't me

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: ralphster44]
    #2407359 - 03/08/04 03:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I moved a few threads from the sponsors forum to a place called the dump Ralph, they were not deleted. I moved them because they served no useful purpose except for people to flame certain other people.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

#2407462 - 03/08/04 04:13 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ralphster, you replied to me about deleted threads in the sponsors' forum, however I do not attend to that particular forum. While I deal directly with the vendors via email and private forum, I don't have the time to actively moderate the public sponsor forum. As such, I'm not entirely sure what your gripe is about. We of course reserve the right to delete threads at our own discretion if they have turned into a flamefest or have travelled too far off topic to the point of being confusing and/or inadvertently detrimental to one or more parties involved.

Personally speaking, the people I see complaining about Sporeworks and vendor issues 99% of the time are other vendors. There has been no public outcry claiming shifty policies on behalf of any of the aforementioned vendors/cultivators, so why must you take it upon yourself to drag a personal cause into this?

Lana's company and Sporeworks have withstood the test of time and kept the vast majority of their customers satisfied. They are in business, that's just the way it is. The Shroomery will not attempt to mediate third party businesses and worst case, will simply drop a sponsor that has proven to engage in poor products or customer service, which Sporeworks and MycoSupply certainly have not done.

Money is a necessary evil and it keeps communities like this one online, utopia isn't reality.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Edited by geokills (03/08/04 04:16 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2407516 - 03/08/04 04:25 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

thanks to the admins and mods.

a pox on the whiney, finger pointing cunts.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2407627 - 03/08/04 05:04 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

^^^second that! good to be back guys...thanks for all the hard work and dedication on behalf of your loyal membership.

SM

--------------------

Edited by simplemachine (03/08/04 05:37 PM)

InvisibleLanaV
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #2407652 - 03/08/04 05:14 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"Lana are suppliers to Sporeworks ..."

:smile:

This is news to me!  Myco Supply doesn't sell spores and Sporeworks doesn't specialize in equipment? 

I think whoever the puppet was, was simply upset.  No real harm done.  I just think its funny how people think they know our business better than we do :smile:

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #2407684 - 03/08/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

This isn't a big mystery
posted by sammi in a later deleted thread at sacredshrooms:

"Look boys, the person who is doing it #1 none of you know and #2 doesnt post here. So posting threads like this is pointless."

sounds an afull lot like somebody knows exactly what is going on

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2407844 - 03/08/04 06:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

this is crazy man what the fuck.....

All I ask is that people of the Shroomery not attempt to "retaliate" or get revenge because this could probably get way worse if these people know what they're doing

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: Strumpling]
    #2408254 - 03/08/04 07:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I second that, Strumpling!

Don't bring us down to their level!

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2408331 - 03/08/04 07:44 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

whoa I was wondering if this was a Shroomery server problem or if it's just my IE, do you guys think it's just some selfish hackers doing this or could it possibly be the DEA? I wouldn't be surprised if they are unhappy about the amount of free *positive* drug information being exchanged here.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Downtime on The Shroomery [Re: chodamunky]
    #2408399 - 03/08/04 08:03 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The dea doesnt packet websites.  They can do far more damage if they wanted too...

Good to be backonline tho.  Long live shroomery! :smile:

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #2408468 - 03/08/04 08:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

It is high time to expose the capitalist swine of the Shr00mery as the corruption and collusion to the usury of money has forsaken the need of benevolence to the people. 

What's wrong with a being a capitalist?  :confused:

And their self-titled claim as a commissar is quite humorous. 

Quote:

a free and fair society

Yeah, by denying people the privledge of coming here, that's what they're creating. :rolleyes:

IMO, we already have that here, and if that was their real goal, wouldn't they do it on their own merit, and not by these "fascist" techniques.

Being that this could be prevented by a hardware firewall, why not allow the members to donate of their own accord?  If we feel so inclinded, could we set up a fund for this?  We, as members of this community, all have vested interest in this site.  To me it would be a privledge to contribute in a way that will allow the continued (unabated) operation of this site.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback