Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Voting: Which freedom do you want to lose?
    #2402748 - 03/04/04 03:06 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Remember the good ol days when the two major parties were Federalist and Anti-Federalist. Voting must have been real simple then. It was a simple choice of which you wanted: more freedom or more government regulation. People could make their choice based on the current situation. Taxes too high? Vote anti-federalist. Big business trampling your rights? Vote Federalist.

Voting back then was like a volume knob, with one end reading "less freedom", and the other end reading "more freedom". Adjust as necessary. Like pitch control on a turntable.

These days on the other hand, voting between the two major parties is not a question of more restriction vs. less restriction.

Its a question of "which freedoms are you more willing to sacrifice?"

Lets see... I can lose my right to terminate a pregnancy, or I can lose my right to own a gun...

I can lose my right to religious freedom, or I can lose my right to an education...

I can lose my right to be politically incorrect, or I can lose my right to protest the president...

I can lose civil rights, or the right to drive an SUV...

I can lose my right to smoke pot, or I can lose my right to smoke pot!

FUCK REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS!!!!

THEY BOTH WANT TO TAKE AWAY OUR FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Voting: Which freedom do you want to lose? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2402899 - 03/04/04 03:41 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
Remember the good ol days when the two major parties were Federalist and Anti-Federalist. Voting must have been real simple then. It was a simple choice of which you wanted: more freedom or more government regulation. People could make their choice based on the current situation. Taxes too high? Vote anti-federalist. Big business trampling your rights? Vote Federalist.

Voting back then was like a volume knob, with one end reading "less freedom", and the other end reading "more freedom". Adjust as necessary. Like pitch control on a turntable.

These days on the other hand, voting between the two major parties is not a question of more restriction vs. less restriction.

Its a question of "which freedoms are you more willing to sacrifice?"

Lets see... I can lose my right to terminate a pregnancy, or I can lose my right to own a gun...

I can lose my right to religious freedom, or I can lose my right to an education...

I can lose my right to be politically incorrect, or I can lose my right to protest the president...

I can lose civil rights, or the right to drive an SUV...

I can lose my right to smoke pot, or I can lose my right to smoke pot!

FUCK REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS!!!!

THEY BOTH WANT TO TAKE AWAY OUR FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

I entirely agree. When you have two parties, they usually pick opposing or extreme sides of an issue, and it's hard to get the compromise that you want to work out. Good point indeed.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Voting: Which freedom do you want to lose? [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2403162 - 03/04/04 04:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

to answer the question specifically..i would definitely choose to dump the SUVs :smirk:...

Quote:

When you have two parties, they usually pick opposing or extreme sides of an issue, and it's hard to get the compromise that you want to work out.

as the original poster pointed out..that might have been true in the past..but no longer...the reason being that with time..each party will try to mimic the successful positions and methods of the other (ie. "I can lose my right to smoke pot, or I can lose my right to smoke pot!")...as such..they become more and more similar..until the public no longer even feels a need for more than one...at this point..one of the two parties is forced to take an opposing position on its continued existence...this is actually the *only* issue in the 2004 election (american prospect)..which you will never hear from the mouth of either candidate...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion